Just installed STEP Extended + Explorer Guide pack, now what?

Hi,

I ran TES5Edit loading all plugins without any problem. I then re-created my FINIS and DSR patches, but still CTD. I also loaded Wryre Bash and they're are many red plugins (more than the pic shows!).

(would rebuilding the bashed patch for STEP extended be worth trying? Would it break my STEP/REGS build as MO shares the mods throughout all profiles?

Posted Image

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are orange boxes not red and mean that masters are not in the expected order, it is fixed by loading the plugin in TES5Edit and then right clicking and select "Sort Masters" close down TES5Edit and save the file (uncheck "back up" in bottom left hand corner if you haven't already). Do that for each it isn't crucial but is useful. If TES5Edit is loading your full order without problems then it is going to be something slightly less common.

How many plugins do you have in total? If more than 255 then the game will crash. I notice that you left a number of Requiem patches out of the merge that I suggested, so clearly you are not following my instructions to the letter. Then again you have seldom done that for your own reasons I guess.

The next thing to check is you Skyrim folder. Open up Steam and right click on the game and go down to properties, then in the next box, go down to local files and click on Verify Integrity of Game cache. It will install any missing files.

::D:

Hey I did merge all the patches that you told me to, except for the SCRR plugin that would not merge. Should I be moving the plugins to the top window that are still packed inside the patch central mod that I packed in to the merged patch? Are double-entries like this a problem?

I have 206 plugins so still well away from the limit.

I typed out a txt list of all those orange plugins then loaded them in to TES5Edit and sorted their masters. Now in wryre bash the orange mark has gone. I re-LOOTED, still no errors, but yet I still CTD.

Also verifying cache required to download 1 new file... still CTD, though!

This is crazy.

No you didn't if you had you would just have the patches for Inconsequential NPCs, Interesting NPCs and Moon and Star as well as the grumpy USKP patch still not in the merge patch. All CCOR patches should be in the merge file as well as resources. Make sure load order is:

Requiem.esp

Requiem - Resources.esp

Requiem - USKP Patch.esp

Requiem Merged Patches .esp

Then every thing else

Did you re do the DSR skyproc patch?

Can you run skyrim vanilla game through MO?

Lots of things left to try.

::D:

I merged the following plugins in to the "Requiem - Merged Patches". The two red plugins were the one's that I had to leave out as they were giving me that error upon attempting to create the merge in TES5Edit, remember?

Requiem - Resources.esp
Requiem - USKP Patch.esp
Requiem - HearthFires.esp
Requiem - Dragonborn.esp
Requiem - Falskaar.esp
Requiem - Wyrmstooth.esp
Requiem - Cutting Room Floor Patch.esp
Requiem - SCRR Patch.esp
Requiem - CCOR Patch.esp
Requiem - CCOR Patch - Hearthfires.esp
Requiem - Dragonborn - CCOR Patch.esp
Requiem - WAF+Clothing and Clutter Fixes Patch.esp
Requiem - Improved Closefaced Helmet Legendary Patch.esp
Requiem - Trade and Barter Vendor Less Gold.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
AOS2_Requiem1.7.3 Patch.esp

Moon and Star as well as the grumpy USKP patch

I have no idea about these two plugins. Never seen anything about them in the Requiem wiki guide, either!?!?

Yep I did re-create the skyproc DSR patch yesterday which made no difference.

Just tried launching default skyrim through MO, launched just fine.

Then tried launching my STEP Extended which resulted in a CTD before main menu.

Same thing happened for my STEP Extended + REGS build so it seems all the messing about I've been doing to get Requiem to work has now wrecked my STEP & REGS builds, which were previously working fine. I can't believe how difficult Skyrim modding is.

Edited by d3v

A couple of things first, when I look at your mod list in the above wryebash image I can see a number of the patches that you say you have merged, if they are in the merged patch then remove them that is just going to cause you problems, move them up into the optional esp folder in MO.

Secondly Moon and Star is a REGS mod and has a patch for Requiem which removes a giant slaughter fish around Little Vivec which hampers that mod. By grumpy USKP patch I mean the one that would not merge Requiem - USKP Patch.

Modding is not that difficult but there is a learning curve. All the work you have done with Requiem to get it to work has been necessary because you would have had problems anyway. There is nothing that you would have done in following the Requiem guide that would have wrecked STEP Extended. You need to get that working again, assuming that you have separate profiles for each of the builds you have just talked about then you have done something wrong in STEP Extended. The mods I tell you to remove in the Requiem pack would not cause any problems in the game they are just obsolete with Requiem in the mix.

You need to get STEP sorted because the fact that your STEP Extended profile doesn't work and your STEP Extended + REGS profile does not work suggests that your problem lies there in STEP Extended. So fix that making a note of the changes then apply those to your other profiles and you should be good to go.

Don't lose heart everyone here (at least those who have been around awhile) have built and rebuilt STEP and or SR many, many I'm talking dozens if not a hundred times over the years - all to learn and to produce working guides such as the ones hosted here. But it is intended that all those who mod learn to use the tools, properly and well so that you can learn to do what many people manage to do which is to build a heavily modded but functional game. Once you understand what the tools do, what esp files and esm files do, what is meant by master files and patches, how to merge files safely then I'm sure that you will be playing a brilliant game far superior to what Bethesda intended.

Everyone here is still learning because that is the nature of modding and I feel that you have jumped in at the deep end with a very ambitious mod build - which I guarantee will work but you have made some fundamental errors here and there. We've all mode those errors or similar and we have learned from them. New users like yourself do provide mod authors or pack authors with insights that help improve packs and mods with a new perspective and I have made several changes to my packs due to questions and feedback and I am grateful for that.

There are no shortcuts really, you need to learn how to mod while you are following a guide, SR:LE is one of the best guides for teaching as you go, but STEP provides detailed guides on all of the tools. Anyway get STEP profile fixed exactly as it should be in the guide, make the same changes to your other profiles. Or learn the tools and rebuild STEP learning as you go so you become more confident with it all.

Either way ask in the STEP troubleshooting forum for help with STEP, I don't have it installed at present and am not planning to until 2.3 comes out or another compelling reason occurs so it would be difficult for me to be as much help with your build as others on the site. But it doesn't hurt to ask, I will try to help as I can, but you need to perhaps read some guides for TES5Edit, MO WryeBash, LOOT etc.

Just had a thought, check that you have SKSE installed propely that would mess up all your programs if it is not. Though it does not always cause a CTD it would certainly help.

Best of luck,

::):

Edited by Smile44
  • 2 months later...