Mator Smash - a TES5Edit script by matortheeternal - calling beta testers!

Hi all,

I've started a thread over on the Nexus Mods Forums, but wanted to make an announcement here because I figure we've got people here who might be very interested in this.

From my OP over on the Nexus Forums:

Mator SmashTM is a TES5Edit add-on script, written in Pascal by matortheeternal, author of the incredibly useful Merge Plugins xEdit Script and the very clever Automation Tools for TES5Edit.

The idea behind the Mator Smash script is simple, yet powerful - to enable the user to "automagically" build a plugin similar to Wyre Bash's bashed patch, but which is applied to all record types which follow Skyrim's "Rule of One" with regards to the load order of any plugins making changes to a particular record in the game.

More simply put, once finished, this script should hopefully give users the power to create their own compatibility patch(es) for whatever Skyrim mods they happen to use.

-------

Currently Mator Smash is in beta, and needs to be tested and refined before it is ready for general use.

Based on matortheeternal's suggestion in response to my comments on the Merge Plugins xEdit Script thread, I am helping him out by starting this forum thread for anyone who is interested in testing out this script and willing to report back on their experiences with it.

Please note that I have had nothing to do with the creation or development of this script - it is entirely matortheeternal's work, but as an end-user who has spent A LOT OF TIME creating compatibility patches, I have a great interest in helping to see it successfully finished.

For more details and to download the Mator Smash script beta, please head over to this thread on the Nexus Mods Forums.

To keep things simple and easy to find in one place, I ask that if you do try using the script, report any of your findings, feedback, etc over there instead of in this thread here.

Edited by keithinhanoi

Yes, it has incredible potential, but tags will be needed, and the logical place I think is to put them in the plugin's header, in the Description subrecord, a la Bash tags.

Mator has already stated that tags are going to be necessary, but the script is not yet at a point where how they should be implemented can be properly discussed. Right now I think he's trying to get it to work as well as possible before introducing control through tags.

Please by all means go have a look and join in the discussion!

Aren't bashed tags seen by other tools other than WB (i.e. BOSS, LOOT)? I was under the impression that the tags were added to the plugin's metadata. So for now, I would imagine adding the tags via WB so Mator Smash could do it's work would do for now. Of course ideally once the tool gets to that point it would be nice to eliminate the need for WB all together. Unless the script in it's current state can't process the tags at present of course.

Also, yes I'm excited as well.

Aren't bashed tags seen by other tools other than WB (i.e. BOSS, LOOT)? I was under the impression that the tags were added to the plugin's metadata. So for now, I would imagine adding the tags via WB so Mator Smash could do it's work would do for now. Of course ideally once the tool gets to that point it would be nice to eliminate the need for WB all together. Unless the script in it's current state can't process the tags at present of course.

Also, yes I'm excited as well.

Yes, Bash tags should be and are normally stored in a plugins description subrecord of the header, and WB, BOSS, LOOT, MO, etc. read that description to check for Bash tags. In fact, the LOOT team has asked that authors also include plugin version info in the description (sorry - I don't have the link for that handy at the moment.) But, bottom line, that is really the best place to keep that information, and I image it would not be very difficult to create a TES5Edit script which allows a user to click-select tags to add to a plugins header instead of typing them in manually.