Birds and Flocks (by Kazoomie)

Roogal

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We need to make a decision regarding this mod. Keep it or drop it? If we keep it, we need to switch to Phinix's updated version. Personally, I haven't had it installed in quite some time and I haven't found myself missing any of its features. This has made life easier with DynDOLOD and just not having to worry about it and its potential issues.

The compatibility issues with SkyTEST are nasty! I know that SkyTEST isn't part of STEP, but it is a very commonly used mod, and one I'd (personally) rather have in my load order than B&F. Anyway: If you have both of them in - including the non-scripty, non-extra-spawny version of SkyTEST! - you will get CTDs. It took me a veeeeeeeerrrry long time to realize where those CTDs were coming from.

After realizing what was causing my CTDs, I dicded to play around with the full version of SkyTEST (I'd been using a neutered one) - and all of a sudden there were all kinds of lovingly thought out animals - like geese and a bull walking about in Riverwood - and so many other cool, totally lore-friendy things. I'm definitely sticking with SkyTEST full in the future.

• +1 1

Thanks mikegray; I had a similar experience with SkyTest, tried the no extra spawns version & finally abandoned the mod. Sounds like it wasn't the culprit, I'll have to give it another look (quarantined to its own MO profile for safety).

Re- STEP inclusion; FWIW I see Birds & Flocks in the Steam Community Masterlist: Dangerous Mods, copied text follows ...

"Birds and Flocks - Both versions - Rating: Two (2)
This warning applies to both Birds and Flocks vanilla and Birds and Flocks Hearthfires Version
While the mod claims to be Hearthfires compatible it does not carry over a few key edits that Hearthfires makes to the world space and also random areas such as the city worldspaces where it edits values it doesn't need to, like water levels, location data and more. The 'cleaned' version is still riddled with unnecessary edits that need to be cleaned out with Tes5Edit, however that doesn't remove all of the wild editing in the mods esp and it can still cause unseen conflicts. The script issues should be fixed via installing the USKP.
There is no direct replacement for this mod."

In the interest of compatibility it might make sense to drop it from STEP, or include steps to verify the recommended version is "clean". Just my $0.02, Cheers.

Okay, that's that.

Dropped for STEP v2.10.0.

Dropped because the add effects are rarely noticed, there are issues within the mod itself, and dropping it makes STEP a more compatible setup.

Any chance you could go so far as to mention specificcally that it has issues with SkyTEST? Giving that information a little more air would be a sort of public service announcement ...