Papyrus ini settings invalid after installing SkyUI following STEP

xxx78

Question

Hi

Just to be clear, its nothing wrong with STEP, this is most likely just another user created problem created by myself :blush:

I'm following STEP 2.2.9 installing Core + Extended carefully and slowly to make sure everything is done right.

I started with fresh install of Skyrim and all tools included mod organizer. Everything seem to go well until I installed SkyUI.

After installing SkyUI I run LOOT and started the game to see that everything was ok. I started a few new games and loaded a few.

Then suddenly I got this message right after loading or starting a new game:

Error Code 4: Your Papyrus INI settings are invalid.

The last 6-7 hours I have been trying to find out why it happened and how to fix it. It is a lot of info and fixes about error 4 out there, mod developer even made a error list with solutions and fixes but nothing seem to help.

I have downloaded and reinstalled SKSE and SkyUI multiple times, I have looked trough settings and ini files in Skyrim and SKSE and I can't find anything wrong. I have not touched any papyrus settings or done anything that is not in the STEP guide, no extra mods or tweaking and no mods from steam workshop. I have tried all things I have found from deleting ini files and copying them into mod organizer to replacing all SKSE scripts. I have disabled Consistent Older People and Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade for now since they depend on other mods.

The only thing I have found that temporarily remove the error warning is to replace all SKSE scripts. Then I can start a saved game or a new game a 7-8 times before the error message is back.

Anyone have any idea what this can be?

Edited by xxx78

The only thing I can imagine then is that you are launching the game without running SKSE at all. Just to make sure, here is how you should be launching the game:

1. Launch Steam

2. Launch Mod Organizer

3. Select SKSE from the executable drop-down box and click Run.

I'm doing it exactly this way :)

Just grasping for straws here with some questions:

1. Since I dont get the error message when I install SKSE as explained in SKSE readme, will it do any harm if I extract all script files from SKSE right into skyrim game folders as explained in SKSE readme and at the same time run SKSE in MO installed and in install order as explained in STEP guide?

2. My friend is not running STEP but using around 200 mods and many of the STEP mods, and he install SKSE the way it is explained on SKSE homepage (putting all files right into skyrim and data folder) and he have never had any problems with SkyUi or SKSE. I'm just very curious why STEP have SKSE installed in Mod organizer and in the install order order when everyone else that dont use STEP either extract files right into skyrim+data folders or use SKSE intsaller?

Edited by xxx78

1. I've already answered this question

2. We are not everybody else. Everybody else uses Nexus Mod Manager. Gopher even installs SKSE our way without issue. One of the main reasons for using Mod Organizer is to keep the Skyrim Data folder completely clean. To install anything, even SKSE, into data, can and have caused issues.

I must say this is most perplexing.

I assume you have followed these troubleshooting steps: https://github.com/schlangster/skyui/wiki/SkyUI-Errors#ERR_INI_PAPYRUS

1. I've already answered this question

partly, last time I asked if it would create problems running SKSE not as a mod installed in MO. This time I asked if it will create any problems using both the SKSE readme installation method putting files right into skyrim game folder + having SKSE installed as a mod in MO :)

2. We are not everybody else. Everybody else uses Nexus Mod Manager. Gopher even installs SKSE our way without issue. One of the main reasons for using Mod Organizer is to keep the Skyrim Data folder completely clean. To install anything, even SKSE, into data, can and have caused issues.

I know m8, and I appreciate that you guys have taken modding in Skyrim one step longer.

Ok thanks for explaining that.

I must say this is most perplexing.

Im a noob in this context but I have to say, welcome to the club. I'm a perfectionist and is following the STEP guide methodically and slowly and double checking things one the way. Have a spreadsheet with details for each mod in STEP guide organized under different subjects to quickly find things. Anyway some day I will find this out and then It probably is some obvious silly things but for now this is killing me. ::(:

I assume you have followed these troubleshooting steps: https://github.com/schlangster/skyui/wiki/SkyUI-Errors#ERR_INI_PAPYRUS

Yes have tried that and other fixes/tweaks but for some reason that silly Error 4 keep poping up.

Thanks again for trying to help me out Doubleyou. For now I just continue with doing a full STEP installation and hope this issue magically disappear at some point ::D: 

Edited by xxx78

I think I have found the issue and solved this, but I'm not 100% sure yet, need more testing.

Issue was:

After starting the game some times I suddenly got this error message from "SkyUI" when loading or starting a new game: Error Code 4: Your Papyrus INI settings are invalid...

I then spent 10-15 hours on this trying to figure out what was happening and I even started over again with fresh install of game, STEP, tools and mod organizer, but the same happened again.

After some time I found out that "Skyfalls" and "Main Menu Spinning Emblem" stopped working at the same time as I got the error message from SkyUI. If I then reinstalled this mods again everything worked well for some time until it all stopped again.

Solution:

I started to think that it could be something outside the game itself since I had two STEP installations with the exactly same issue, and it seem like my own backup system have backfired this time. Due to loss of many hours of work some years back I implemented a heavy backup system, real time backup of small changes, hourly backup on important things like mod organizer folder, and daily image of windows.

So what I did was disabling all backup routines and stopping those programs. After I did this I have not received the error message from SkyUI anymore, and "Skyfalls" and "Main Menu Spinning Emblem" is working perfectly after starting Skyrim 15 times.

Explanation:

It seem like running hourly and real time backup on mod organizer folder some how interrupted certain scripts from running correctly. I dont know if this was because I played at the same time I did backups but that seem most likely, I dont know if it is the hourly backup or real time backup that is the cause of this issues, anyway it seemed to be solved now. 

I need to test more to be 100% sure but at least I think I'm on the right track. It seem to come to a happy ending after all ::D:

Talk about a paranoid backup system!

I only backup important things, like documents, photos, etc. Everything else I figure can be easily redownloaded.

hehe yeah, but I like it ::D:

Anyway, I have never had issues with backup programs before but I think this become an issue with mod organizer since it is running virtual when the game is started. I think if I had put this files in Skyrim data folder this would not have happened but that's just speculation at this point. Thanks for helping m8 and I hope Im out of the dark now, back to installing STEP now and solving other Skyrim + modding issues ::D:

Edited by xxx78

I have encountered the same issue, I had a stable game with STEP Extended and there was very rarely any issues.

Two days ago I added the "Program Files (x86)" into my daily backup schedule and now I am getting the same error and the same observations, e.g. spinning menu icon has stopped working.

How do I fix this and does anyone know why it is happening? I assume that it is because how MO manages the files whilst the game is running. For now I have removed it from the backup, but you never mentioned how you got it working again normally (just mentioned that it started working again on its own).

I have encountered the same issue, I had a stable game with STEP Extended and there was very rarely any issues.

Two days ago I added the "Program Files (x86)" into my daily backup schedule and now I am getting the same error and the same observations, e.g. spinning menu icon has stopped working.

How do I fix this and does anyone know why it is happening? I assume that it is because how MO manages the files whilst the game is running. For now I have removed it from the backup, but you never mentioned how you got it working again normally (just mentioned that it started working again on its own).

You will face issues for the exact reasons users that install MO into a UAC managed folder or those with restricted access rights get issues.

Anytime two or more programs make claims on a file/folder one of them will lose. Sometimes the loser will error nicely and relinquish access, other times they will fight 'tooth and nail' to hold on and then errors happen.

I would urge you to not have an automated backup system running on folders that are needed by either your games, or tools designedto manipulate those games, ie. MO.

You will face issues for the exact reasons users that install MO into a UAC managed folder or those with restricted access rights get issues.

Anytime two or more programs make claims on a file/folder one of them will lose. Sometimes the loser will error nicely and relinquish access, other times they will fight 'tooth and nail' to hold on and then errors happen.

I would urge you to not have an automated backup system running on folders that are needed by either your games, or tools designedto manipulate those games, ie. MO.

UAC is disabled and the user account has administrator privileges, I assume that the issue here is that the backup program copied the script files when the game was running. No idea what is causing the continued problem though.

Edited by thisisbleep

When I read your post I took it that you have a scheduled backup program that automatically polls those folders and makes backups as needed. If that is the case then that is the issue that I see. If however you are just making user-controlled backups that include those folders then I too am at a loss as to why the continued issue.

This seem to be the same issue I had. I'm no expert but I think this happen because the backup program is interrupting the scripts. For some reason this get "registered" somewhere and the error will happen again every time you start the game.

I fixed it by stopping the backup routine and reinstalling SKSE again. Now Im running manual backup when game is not running.

This seem to be the same issue I had. I'm no expert but I think this happen because the backup program is interrupting the scripts. For some reason this get "registered" somewhere and the error will happen again every time you start the game.

I fixed it by stopping the backup routine and reinstalling SKSE again. Now Im running manual backup when game is not running.

Thanks, I have got it working again. Before originally posting I had manually copied the SKSE files into the MO install folder for the SKSE mod and also the files in the default Skyrim directory (to overwrite the old ones), but that did not fix it. This time I deleted the mod in MO and then re-added it from scratch and the error message has gone.

It is strange because the "spinning icon on main menu screen" mod was also broken and that only has two files which as far as I know are not related to SKSE. I deleted the mod and re-added it to MO again and it has also fixed that.

Now I am left to wonder if any other mods are not working correctly and I do not know about it yet, to be safe I will have to save regularly for a while and check the Papyrus logs for any new errors.

Edited by thisisbleep

Now I am left to wonder if any other mods are not working correctly and I do not know about it yet, to be safe I will have to save regularly for a while and check the Papyrus logs for any new errors.

If you are thinking of using the papyrus logs as some form of error-checking system, then I think you will be mislead. Those logs are not providing the information you think they are. By definition, papyrus logs are directly related to the operation of the Papyrus Script engine used in Skyrim and will only provide information about mods that call that system. However since you could be having problems with mods that don't use that system, it will never tell you about them and alot of the information it does tell you is just spam and has no bearing on the stability of the game.

Additionally, a perfectly functional game may still give a log filled with useless information that causes many to spend hours searching for solutions to non-existent problems.

If you are thinking of using the papyrus logs as some form of error-checking system, then I think you will be mislead. Those logs are not providing the information you think they are. By definition, papyrus logs are directly related to the operation of the Papyrus Script engine used in Skyrim and will only provide information about mods that call that system. However since you could be having problems with mods that don't use that system, it will never tell you about them and alot of the information it does tell you is just spam and has no bearing on the stability of the game.

Additionally, a perfectly functional game may still give a log filled with useless information that causes many to spend hours searching for solutions to non-existent problems.

Yes, I am aware that the Papyrus logs are not great and are pretty limited on what you can get from them, but I will be able to see if there are any new errors that appear.

I played for about an hour earlier and did not get any error messages or crashes, so hopefully it is working like before and there are no residual problems.

Edited by thisisbleep

Papyrus logs are fairly useless unless you understand what the scripts put into the log and the author's intent. Some "errors" aren't errors at all. For more information on this start reading the below post as well as the replies:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7521-steve40-lvlpredator-script-fix/?p=120261

In short, Papyrus logging rarely needs to be enabled.