Guided Tables/Lists

hishutup

Question

First, I am not 100% sure this is the correct location.

Take a look at this first:

Roads of Cyrodiil

• Author: Arthmoor - Ukrr - mariedanj
  • Version: 1.0
  • Installation: Download: Roads of Cyrodiil Patches

Choose the most appropriate patches for you Load Order.

UL (Unique Landscapes)

Check00 ROC +UL Imperial Isle

Check00 ROC +UL Skingrad Outskirts

Let the People Drink

Check00 ROC +Let the People Drink

UL + Let the people drink

Uncheck00 ROC +UL Imperial Isle and 00 ROC +Let the People Drink

Check00 ROC +UL Imperial Isle +Let the People Drink

• Notes: (if needed)

<short description>

Okay, as you see for the patches even for two different mods telling/showing the user the correct patch is going to be tricky for when there is more patches.
Is there a way to have a guided list. For example, when a user is at that location hey/she will see selectable boxes. So that when the user select both UL + Let the people drink that only that only:
Check00 ROC +UL Imperial Isle +Let the People Drink
shows up. This isn't a big deal with two but when there are many more it'll become cluttered.

Is there a way to apply logic to text to hide/unhide when needed?
Is it a feature that could be added or be too difficult?

Is there a way to add logic elements to text?

I'll mock up something to visually explain it later.

The best guided list I can think of is Newegg.com

Where you can pick categories and then individual sub categories. Then give a list of all the things that match.

If this is completely impossible or isn't worth the hassle then i'll look into a new format.

Edited by hishutup

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Is it really this difficult to do something this simple or is it because of the no js thing.

Click an image -> image changes and flips a variable

hmm... just throwing ideas out because I am at a loss

Is there anyway to do an Onclick like thing

I see what you did, which great for effect and an example of what I would like but cant modify a variable. Still the same problem, the variable not flipping.

I was looking at jQueryUI which media wiki uses but none of the tags work because of js and also because of the wiki uses its own tags...

If I could use something of this sort:

if(OnClick){{{#ifeq:{{#var:ROCPatch}}|0|{{#vardefine:ROCPatchROC|1}}|{{#vardefine:ROCPatchROC|0}}}}}

and then to produce the image with the OnClick or whatever

This works

{{#ifeq:{{#var:ROCPatchROC}}|0|[[File:Unchecked_Box.png|20px|link=]]|[[File:Checked_checkbox_32.png|20px|link=]]}}

are while loops a future possibility?

What about a form that creates a page with all the setting for the boxes in a sort of array fashion

like for me anyhow it would be User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide/Settings

and all the checkboxes and equations are just referencing the page

and when a user selects the box it would modify the pre-generated setting page thus changing the result of the switch function

This would also remember the users previous settings

I figure there will be a problem with this is the number of pages and the fact that everyone would have to create a page even though the page would be pretty small.

Does any of this bring light to a possible solution or is it just something that isn't going to exist without a lot of effort?

Would it be better to make a new topic with a wanted tag that has something about a checkbox that modifies a variable or something of the sort?

Edited by hishutup

Okay, I kind of want to touch on SMW on a basic level and I hope someone would be willing to help me on this.

I want tp test it out with a really small scale.

Pretty much the example I have presented throughout this entire discussion. I browsed through some SMW documentation and was almost entirely lost but I think I understand what is the process and flow of what pages are needed to:

Have a Guided page using check boxes(check box image) that will provide unique instruction depending on which are selected.

At the top of the page a user will have to click some sort of button to generate a new page in their username using a form

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:<username>/OblivionGuide/<version(may not be needed)>/Settings

It will generate a table for all the checkboxes with boolean value equal to false initially

After that the page will reload for the user and when they click a checkbox image it'll redirect them to a specific page or use another forum

this will redirect or reload the Oblivion guide page and auto scroll them to the original check box

the checkbox will have a "checked" image rather than an "unchecked image

The logic applied will access the settings page for each user and give them their own unique guided page.

Is this somewhat correct in the operation or am I way off...

If someone that knew anything about SMW and that would put up with me.

I'll appreciate it if you could help me in seeing if this is even is something that is doable to some degree.

I read it twice, and am still not following ... too late maybe. Sounds like a lot of logic for SMW to handle.

If you get a sandbox started and create the unique templates, properties and forms to get started, that will help. You will want to create something very simple to see how these three components relate in SMW. Once you figure that out, you will graduate to a level where you can sort of follow what Brian has done with SMW. What you are explaining seems like a difficult task in SMW, but I like to think it is possible.

I have no idea who brian is.... s4n? 

That is kinda the problem, I don't really understand the back end of it but I guess I'll keep reading what there is.

Well, I guess, I'll just have to kind of dive into and hope I don't mess something up

That would be a shame  :confused:

hmm,

I guess I'll present a more targeted question in the near future.

EDIT: It seem for it to work properly the generated page has to be like so... IDK, still reading

https://wiki.step-project.com/OblivionGuide

List of created pages for tracking easily...

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:Roads_of_Cyrodil

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:OblivionGuide-Let_the_People_Drink

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:OblivionGuide-Unique_Landscape-Compilation

I think I only needed one...

https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:OblivionSettings

Edited by hishutup

You have to define a 'class'. Maybe create Template:HishutupTestTemplate with a couple of Properties (Property:HishutupTestProperty1, Property:HishutupTestProperty2, etc.). Then the Form (Form:HishutupTestForm).

You will need to define the data type for the Properties and think ups some simple thing for the template (or copy one from one of our community templates) and associate the template with the Form.

s4n (Brian) works backwards from Forms, I think, but the SMW literature works forward from Properties. s4n's way is probably best if you are doing something complicated and you have a very specific idea how you want to accomplish, but I would look at SMW help pages and just create those pages and learn how to use them. that is the first step. If you can't get that working, then you are not ready to even begin asking questions :)

... and don't begin by looking at our implementation ... it is pretty complex and kind of deviates from the norm in some places. Very hard to follow the logic of our implementation.

EDIT: Actually, I created some stuff for testing purposes when I was first learning. you can play with that stuff and edit it as much as you like if you want:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:Class1

https://wiki.step-project.com/Form:Class2

https://wiki.step-project.com/Template:Class1

https://wiki.step-project.com/Template:Class2

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:Property1

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:Property2

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:Property3

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:Property4

... I am not able to support you much though, as I have not looked at that stuff for a couple of years.

Thank you... I'll still post the pages I create on here if someone comes around to take a peak...

I'll edit or make a new post probably pretty often...

So yeah, check back often if I have an easy question which a lot of them are going to be pretty simple...

Would it be possible to grant me permission to delete pages so that I can test rather freely without having to bug EssArrBee constantly

I think I am getting closer to something that may work.

On this page

I just need it to remove to input and change the button text to "Create Settings Page"

The reason for that is because I want it to generate a page on 

User:<username>/OblivionGuide/Settings

Once everything works, I'll set everything in the create form to hidden

How would one read the specific value from this page

Pages Created

HishutupTestTemplate

HishutupTestForm

https://wiki.step-project.com/HishutupTestPage

Delete this poor sap

https://wiki.step-project.com/Property:Roads_of_Cyrodil

Notes:

{{#ask [[Category:City]] [[has mayor::Klaus Wowereit]] }}

Edited by hishutup

hmm... it seems that I may have to make a page for each mod 'Variable' then have a collection in a Users settings page that is generated by clicking a button...

The whole point of the form is to generate the users settings page.

I can't find out how to remove the input box from the form...

I figure out how to set the to-be generated page to a specific URL for that particular user

kind of like the system specs one

All of this is really weird and confusing...

In short I think I have to create my own cluster of data that could be its own wiki system.... Hmm...

and to get the value I could use phaser functions that would have a coded image and specific link to change a specific property on a users settings page.

I think the users settings page would have to a collection of properties that are loaded in and then modified on the page.... 

What are you trying to do with a user settings page? If you are wanting a wiki page to be able to reference a users "settings" as it were, I can pretty much guarantee you will not be able to do that. There is no mechanism for being able to determine the username that is viewing a page.

As to Z's reference, I don't necessarily work backwards from Forms, though I have on occasion because the Form is the first thing I wanted to create. What I don't do is define property pages as the first thing. I find it too limiting during the design/implementation phase as I'm often restructuring before the final solution. When using the Wiki provided Special pages, they require properties to be defined in order to be useful, which is fantastic if you have a a very clear and solid design up front. If you don't, you'll be in maintenance hell with a slew of Property pages that need to be cleaned up.

Which leads to a potential question you may have, and no you don't have to have Property pages defined for them to work. The system will figure out what they are. Though I do believe there was a special case or two regarding forms where if the Property wasn't defined, you couldn't use some functionality. I just don't recall what those cases were. But at some point Property pages do need to be created so the system can be efficient.

You can also create test pages in your user area (sub pages). You can delete any sub-page in that area.

hmm... it seems that I may have to make a page for each mod 'Variable' then have a collection in a Users settings page that is generated by clicking a button...

The whole point of the form is to generate the users settings page.

I can't find out how to remove the input box from the form...

I figure out how to set the to-be generated page to a specific URL for that particular user

kind of like the system specs one

All of this is really weird and confusing...

In short I think I have to create my own cluster of data that could be its own wiki system.... Hmm...

and to get the value I could use phaser functions that would have a coded image and specific link to change a specific property on a users settings page.

I think the users settings page would have to a collection of properties that are loaded in and then modified on the page.... 

If you have a mic, I can see about setting aside some time some evening and work with you through using SMW on our Mumble server.

The highlighted text in the quote above makes me cringe, and I would say just from the words used it is not a good solution. You should never have to create a dedicated Wiki page just for the sake of containing "variables" (and I'm not sure what you mean by that...semantic property?)

Okay, It hard to explain but I still want to check boxes.

I'll figure out a way eventually...

What I am trying to do is the guided list or guide but make it so its somewhat interactive. So that for example:

I support both MO and Wrye Bash instructions in the guide. 

This would make the guide very cluttered and unusable.

I want it to be able so that a user can check whether they are using Mo or WB.

Once they have selected either then the guide will only show the instructions specific to what they have selected.

Settings page:

The page is going to be specific for each user or (I have found the following being better) is going to be a page with several users where the data for the user can be stored/loaded from and the page would be located in User:[username]/OblivionGuide/Settings or in some location that I cannot specify.

For Example:

The current users and what they have 'Checked' as if they are using that mod.

Joe: Uses A and B

Rosaline: Uses only C

Mike: Uses A,B and C

Brian: Uses none

The settings page would have is something like

{| class="wikitable"!username=||A=||B=||C=|-|Joe||1||1||0|-|Rosaline||0||0||1|-|Mike||1||1||1|-|Brian||0||0||0|}OR{| class="wikitable"|-!username=||Int=|-|Joe||3|-|Rosaline||4|-|Mike||7|-|Brian||0|}

Then when Joe leaves and returns all of the mods he had 'Checked' will show like he had never left.

--You could add a reset, remove and some other functions.

To change the value I was thinking about changing link on an image to link to a page that will change the value and then reload the guide again with the new 'Checked' or 'Un-Checked' mod as well as the instructs that pertain to the 'Checked' and 'Un-Checked' Mod 

I do have a mic.

I am free on the weekend, Monday and Friday pretty much all day.

I am unfamiliar with mumble...

I am sorry to make you cringe but I have a hard time understanding SMW because its logic is strange and it seems like you have to know what you are trying to achieve before you even start.

Yes, I mean property...

I am learning, so basics first and I am doing it very small scale meaning 3 'variables'

Yes I know it CAN be optimized because . 

I could do a binary -> int thing and store it all in one number

Property 1=1

Property 2=2

Property 3=4

or I could do a string but it would be interesting.

IDK, I am very new to SMW and the documentation is there but really dense which makes things hard for me.

Edited by hishutup

The user settings affecting the display of the guide won't work. Providing the user a choice of mood manager to affect what gets showed won't work either without custom JavaScript, unless there is some css3 way of handling that (which there might be). Having things remembered per user won't be possible however.

That is, not without custom code, either via JavaScript, or an extension, and using cookies.

I do like the ideas, and i had traveled down a similar path when trying to utilize a users system config information with tickets, but it's just not doable.