Mod Organizer FOSE installing with FO3 GOTY

sutex

Question

I can see no instruction to install FOSE , with Fallout 3 when using MO.

Do I just drop FOSE into the GOTY folder, given the scripts ?

There was a suggestion by Youtube video , about MO not do to this, but it focus is Skyrim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGKhdiJYBqo

Very new to MO , Have run mods and managers before , but using MO for first time .

Have a CLEAN  installl of the game  DATA folder backup, have saves so using those mods , for my new MO install

WHAT I HAVE

Steam Fallout 3 GOTY .... Patched with Updated FALLOUT patch latest

FOMM fork .... Installed to default , MO points to it  exe, works

FO3Edit_3_0_31_EXPERIMENTAL-637-3-0-31 ... Installed into own Folder (FO3edit) inside of Fallout3 GOTY

A side note, with FO3edit , still a bit confused do I check or uncheck backups.  When I first ran FO3edit, I closed it after opening. A box popped up saying there was a problem in Overwrite. I removed the FO3editbackup it was refering too. Correct ? as all I have at the moment is the DEFLAUT esm plus the Updated Patch Overwrite is emtpy in MO , I have no mods installed, as yet.

Edited by sutex

Yes all other 3rd party starts , 

If I click the Fallout Launcher  in MO, steam , & then Fallout Launcher & the music starts , can use options , but clicking play nothing happens

But if  I re-start Fallout Launcher, via Process Explorer straight away,  then clicking play works. this is how I got the ini files

So ini reg setting are done . All the 3 files needed are there. RendererInfo FalloutPrefs FALLOUT.ini

I can't use Process Explorer to restart FOSE when it appears, disappears to fast, FOSE It's in process for a bit then it's gone

I can play Fallout 3 using FOSE , without MO.

Other GAME launcher have the same issue (not all of them, only some) , they need to be restarted  as soon as they appear , THEN they work.. Any logs you need let me know.

I'm not sure what is happening. Right click the Fallout 3 GOTY folder and make sure that all users have full access. Make sure that Mod Organizer itself isn't in a User Access Controlled directory. You can try changing the Mod Organizer executable properties to include Administrative Access, but this shouldn't generally be needed. Have you added FOMM-fork to the list of executables in MO? If so then try running FOMM-fork from MO and see if it works.

All third party software is install , I have  been following the guide,  ALL third party software is working BUT not FOSE though MO.

I'm not in  UAC folder as log files shows   UAC is off, has been for ages don't use it.  All software has Administrative Access checked .

I think the problem you are having is related to the one discussed in this thread. Steam doesn't work well with any mod manager in Fallout 3. I expect the version of Fallout 3 GOTY you have requires the same kind of "hooking" between Steam and a mod manager (e.g., Mod Organizer) to start the game that is needed to get the Steam Overlays working. The posts even mention that some users have the problem launching the game and not just getting the overlays.

As you can see on the thread, there are no particularly great solutions. However, you might want to try the solutions/hacks that were mentioned in the referenced thread. 

I think the problem you are having is related to the one discussed in this thread.  NO it's not,  all new people PLEASE read thread from top otherwise going around in circles  I DON'T USE STEAM to play FALLOUT when YOU have FOSE.

I have not mentioned STEAM OVERLAYS at all,  IT FOSE not working though MO .. works fine by it-self , STEAM not even on when I play Fallout 3

For some reason MO will not launch FOSE & then Fallout I say again I can use FOSE by it-self to play FALLOUT , but then no MO..

Nothing to do with OVERLAY or STEAM , it's windows/MO hooks, conhost , ext something

Edited by sutex

I haven't tried using MO with the CD version of Fallout 3 GOTY (I don't have this) and I don't know what problems this causes. I have the CD version of Fallout 3 and 2 of the DLC, but I got the Steam Fallout 3 GOTY version on a Steam sale rather than buying the CD versions of the rest of the DLC. I don't know how MO works with the copy protection for the non-Steam version of Fallout 3 GOTY.

I don't think you understand some of the points I was trying to make. The issue is, as you mentioned, getting MO to "hook" the virtual file system, FOSE and Fallout 3 all together. The Steam examples were intended to look at options in how MO can simultaneously hook multiple things together. Did you try using the approach that the second post in the Steam overlay discussion suggested? It had less to do with Steam itself and more to do with how MO can hook FOSE and Fallout3 together.

None of us has seen the exact set of circumstances that you have, and we are just trying to come up with some possible solutions.

"Yes all other 3rd party starts , 
If I click the Fallout Launcher  in MO, steam , & then Fallout Launcher & the music starts , can use options , but clicking play nothing happens"

According to this statement Steam is being started in MO. Last time I tried this the game would not start. I think Steam takes to much time to load. Start Steam outside of MO and see what happens.

Hi again, I found my DVD based Fallout 3 and nuked my Steam version, installed FO3 and updated to version 1.7. FOSE will not run on the retail DVD version without the upgrade. Three reinstalls and upgrades later I had a working updated game. Sorry to say FOSE worked from MO.

I we can’t run FOSE from MO then let’s try a workaround.

In MO settings Workarounds tab and set the “Load Mechanism†from Mod Organizer to Script extender, click OK out of settings and restart MO. When MO closes this will create a folder fose plugins in the vanilla data directory with two files in the plugins folder. They are hook.dll and mo_path.txt. I mention these in case you change back to the original setting and they do not get cleaned up after a MO restart. This essentially treats your whole MO setup as a FOSE mod.

In my testing I ran FOSE from MO and from the game directory, fose_loader.exe, and it saw the plugin I had installed, which was “DALCO FOSE Check†in each case. When I set local saves in the profile it also operated as expected.

Try this and see if it works for you.

No didn't work,  Don't use steam Only once to get the ini files set. Steam is not running , don't need it, if I use FOSE to run FO3.

I use FOSE , shortcut to launch and play FO3 , that works ,

When using MO to launch FOSE as said  wont work, FOSE only sometimes shows up in Process , & only once did Fallout 3.exe appear in Process , but game still didn't launch

All that happens is MO appears in Process , then terminates FOSE box briefly appears on desktop , but that's it..