Skyrim Realistic Texture Overhaul Dragons (by Frozunswaidon)

klotim

Always liked the step mods and I couldn't resist to promote myself.

Mod description:
Using Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer Pack as a base, Skyrim finally got
completely retextured dragons. 2K-4K and 4K-8K textures with AO, HQ uncompressed normalmap, optimized textures covering all vanilla and DLC dragons.
Dragons is Skyrims Main subject and should therefore look best. Never before have Skyrim users seen such high quality dragons until...now.

As it said, it covers all the dragons, (except for durnehviir at the moment i'm writing this). 
I also retextured some other mods, deadly dragons, bellyachee dragons, Dragon lords and such.

The mod stays true to vanilla design and color except for some design spots here and there ( some scales on the head, more scales on the wings).

Realistic dragons 4K-8K by Frozunswaidon

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

It's very nice but I feel the textures are ruined by too much noise. Everyone seems to think noise = detail. It may work okay for rocks, but I feel dragons should have smooth scales (at least under their belly). Gritty Dragons?

Got to admit that the only reason I am not using these is that they are just too detailed. It is not so much noise... as it is shear amount of tiny details that just distract the eyes when you look at them. In short.. there is no where for the eyes to simply rest and admire the texture. 

One thing I considered suggesting to you was to keep the normal map but tone down the diffuse to make sure that all the details are not that ... harsh I guess would be the term! But I guess I can see where you want to go with this and doing that would require quite a rework so that is why I have not done so before now! 

I guess the fact that you have gone to 8k is resolution is also part of the "issue"... you just have had access to way WAY too much detail for a model that is nowhere near a scale that would require it! But ofc. doing overkill is the best way! :D 

Keep up the good work, and I hope you can see this as a bit of hopefully constructive criticism! 

Here is a thing... Can this engine support 8k? I know Unreal 3 went up to 4k (as well as UE4 without mip map edits) and this engine is much older than that. RAGE had 8k only for streaming the ground texures, but again, that is a much better engine. Has anyone truly tested this? Will the detail just stop increasing after a certain point?

Edited by Guest

I agree with the noise. It's a very easy way to add a bit of grit but isn't always the best answer. I noticed Alduin had quite a bit of noise in the shots on the mod page. As for texture size, Aiyen is right. 8K is way too much. 2-4K is just right though as Bellyaches uses 2-4K. Too much detail can be a bad thing and we've turned down texture replacer in the past because of that very reason. If they're too detailed they stand out amongst the surrounding textures and look out of place.

Of course, I haven't tried these in-game yet so take what I say on that notion.

Would anyone be interested if I made a quick plugin test room with something like cubes on display to show a 256 - 8k detail range? Maybe could do normals and parallax too as it would take 5 mins. It might be a good tutorial for beginners and I could jam a giant STEP link in there in 3D.  :lol: I dunno' it's up to you guys. I like visual aids personally, but it depends if it will get used.

Edit: Well from the upvotes I guessed I should give it a go. Will continue after my dinner as I left the 8k CG texture cooking and my PC is unusable until it's rendered. ::P: I'll start a new thread soon and if anyone wants to upload it to the Nexus or something they can.

Edited by Guest

I think we'd have to request frozen to make 1k and 2k variants before we even tested it since um... 4k... yeah not going to (forgive the pun) fly.

The default dragon texture in the Bethesda Hi-Res DLC is actually 4K.  Makes sense because the dragons are such big objects.  With that in mind, doubling the resolution to 8k isn't that much of a stretch (another pun!), if it's optimized well, etc. 

• +1 1

• 5 months later...

I have recently looked at this mod again, and after a while of looking at the textures, I can only state (I knew before, but wanted to make double sure) it's just another typical case of simply upscaling existing textures, slapping a Photoshop filter over them (it doesn't matter he created an impression of scales, the underlaying texture is a blurry mess), and calling it revolutionary amazing newe super HD 8k retexture. This practice is disgusting and must stop.

Not impressed. That Skunky123/MysteryModder guy was doing the exact same thing. Amazingly, people fall for this every_single_time.

Edited by Octopuss