CTD on Startup

Draakon

Question

Hey, I have got this little problem here. First of all, my load order is listed here: https://modwat.ch/Draakon and FNVEdit log when I run it trough MO with all mods selected: https://pastebin.com/0U5Y56Xi

Second of all, as the title of the post says, I am getting a CTD on startup. As soon as I choose NVSE from MO, the NVSE small CMD window opens, FalloutNV.exe is displayed in my Task Manager (memory usage reaches up to 51 992 K) and then the game crashes (it just disappeard from Task Manager). No errors displayed, nothing. I already used FNVEdit to determinate if this is a master file missing error but FNVEdit loads it up all fine. No errors displayed by FNVEdit.

I followed the F&NLV guide with some added mods that work with Unified HUD and Underwater Home. I have seriously no idea what's causing this problem.

Edit: Problem solved, I hit the magical .bsa limit, carry on.

Edited by Draakon

14 answers to this question

Try loading with 4gb loader instead of nvse.

I don't use 4gb loader, since I am using this nifty tool: https://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Also, imps more complex needs isn't compatible with part of project Nevada. You need to go to the imps page or project Nevada page and figure out which part of project Nevada to leave out.

But why would it cause an CTD? Up until I started to install anything I have installed after Unified HUD, it worked fine.

Also: I would like to add that I have not yet merged any patches trough Bash yet, only those listed in the guide trough FNVEdit.

Edited by Draakon

I did. Same problem. I deactivated all mods that were running after Unified HUD. Still the same error.

It is as if FNV decided to stop working at all.

Edit: Reduced my mods down to Underwater Home and DarnUI mods only. As soon as I activate Project Nevada, crash galore returns. Only this time I get to see the black screen and start of the main menu music before it crashes.

Edited by Draakon

Okay, if the game doesn't even start, like when you hit the play button with MO it just looks like it's going to start then nothing happens, then you have to many BSAs. Extract mod BSAs one by one until the game starts, but do extract Willow or Spice of Life.

If you are getting actual crashes, like the game window pops up, but then it crashes, you have some kind of conflict that is cause the crash. This could anything since I don't have all the mods installed you have, but I'd still try to resolve the issue with Imps more complex needs and Project Nevada. I think it's the Rebalance Module and the Project Nevada - Extra Options Rebalance Complete module.

This game man, this damn game. It's as if I it had a teenager personality. I just tried again with all mods up until Unified HUD activated and it started up fine. I do not know what the heck is going on here :S.

Could MO be derping out on me, not doing it's virtual data hooking correctly? Because I have no other explenation on what the heck is going on here.

Edit: Is there really somekind of .BSA limit the game can handel? PS: I do not have Willow nor Spice of Life at this time installed.

Edited by Draakon

Okay, it turns out you were right about the .BSA limit. As soon as I brought the number of .bsa's added by mods down to 5 (I am not counting the game .bsa's), the mod order linked above works fine for me. PS: Not sure if you know, put Modwatch also includes list of mods listed on the left pane of MO under Modlist tab at the website.

Edit: Silly me for ignoring the part about .bsas at the start of the guide, right? It's the first time I have encountered the problem anyway so I didn't even know to look for it. Even though I used to mod the game a lot back in the day.

Edited by Draakon