General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

Can you describe to me your steps in preparing the game to mod and/or run using your WB?

I see no reason why WB would make any changes to the ini files unless you are adding a tweak or something like that. Do you have any graphics card tools running in the background? GeForce Experience or similar?

Preparing to mod after playing the game:

-Go to Oblivion.ini and uncheck 'read only', as WB gives me the error below when I click on installers with 'read only' checked and doesn't let me access installers

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\basher.pyo", line 5165, in OnShowPage
  File "bash\basher.pyo", line 3824, in OnShow
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 8080, in refresh
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 2717, in setBsaRedirection
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 2271, in saveSetting
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 2676, in saveSettings
  File "bash\bosh.pyo", line 2352, in saveSettings
  File "bash\bolt.pyo", line 1500, in untemp
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\Syn\\Documents\\My Games\\Oblivion\\Oblivion.ini'

-Start WB and do modding

Preparing to start game after modding:
-Close WB
-Delete the .ini that WB has changed
-Replace with an .ini that WB hasn't touched that retains the original formatting and that has 'read only' checked

-Play game

But interestingly I do always have MSI Afterburner running on my pc to manage my GPU fan speeds. Why do you ask?

Edited by SynthetikHD

Its late and I am really tired so I didnt read anything about but I figured I should followup a little.

WB will automatically make edits to the ini when a mod is installed that includes and ini file that has a mod associated with it.

There is probably a setting but I just haven't looked, its probably hidden.

@SynthetikHD

So it appears you are running the Python version, not the standalone, could you try the latest standalone 305 version to see if that makes a difference?

The Python errors are also indicating you have permission issues relating to the oblivion.ini, something is holding control of that file when WB is trying to write to it. Which is why I ask about any software that may be related to gaming running in the background. It's not likely but possibly that ini is being checked by AfterBurner and that isn't allowing WB access. It could also be an overly zealous AV package.

The version I am using is 305(Standalone) CBash v0.6.0 that was linked in the guide, here, and I have downloaded the Standalone Executable file as listed in the guide. But I think you are right GrantSP because I think I do remember seeing the word Python pop up in either an error given by WB or somewhere else..but my WB does say standalone though..

Is the is the standalone on the nexus supposed to be the Python version or is it accidentally maybe? That or you are wrong and I am not using the Python version..I am unsure.

As for the .ini, I highly doubt Afterburner is affecting the .ini as it just manages my GPU settings and that is all, and I have no AV besides the standard Windows Defender. Maybe some new AV part of Win 10 is causing it or something else but I will try turning off MSI Afterburner and Windows security things to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by SynthetikHD

The 'installer' version listed first in the downloads page can install both versions, depending on your choice in the installer if I remember correctly.

Since you do say you have the standalone version then I'll take your word for it. Been so long since I saw any WB errors they may still refer to the Python code. Still I'll stand by the permissions issue, why though is something you will have to find out.

I can't see where you have these tools installed so just to be sure, try and avoid ANY folder that might have Windows UAC on it. I seem to recall @Hishutup mentioning that on his system Win10 was very troublesome even on folders that should be free of that control.

As you can see in the top left, I have the standalone version and it gives me a Python error in the header of the error. I did not download the installer version of WB so there is no chance I accidentally installed the Python version.

I did not install Oblivion or anything related in UAC folders, and I turned off UAC, Windows Defender, and closed MSI Afterburner and still get the error above when the .ini is read only and Oblivion still crashes when I uncheck read only and let WB make changes to the INI.

Okay, didn't find what I was looking for but I may have found the culprit.

When you use WB it is loading the Archive Invalidation mod and therefore adding the line:

sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa,

to the end of the list of options in the [Archive] section.

Nearly correct. So, what needs to be there is this:

sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

The comma on its own breaks the ini, as these can't be on the ends of lines and according to the documentation for Archive invalidating the entire list of BSAs for the game also need to added to the list.

So check the ini tweak in WB that is used for that mod and change it make the correct entries and see if that works. It should.

Wow, thanks a lot for figuring this out, that fixed it. It was under my impression that the line was supposed to automatically add itself after enabling installers in WB. I'm not sure if that is the case and it did not automatically add or if I was supposed to add it myself as the guide didn't explicitly state to add it.

Regardless, cheers.

what do you mean by this instruction:

Adding Oblivion's Base Game Files

1. Drag the Archive of Oblivion's Data folder -that you should've done earlier- and move it onto Wrye Bash's Installer window.
  2. Wrye Bash will then ask if you want to copy or move it select copy.
  3. Right-Click and select "Unpack to project".
    • I recommend labeling it "Oblivion Intact".
    • The unpacking process may take awhile. ~5-10+ minutes.
  4. After its done, it will have a diamond instead of a square. Delete the one with the square.
  5. Open the project and delete any plugins (.esp's) and .bsa's.
  6. Install the mod.
  7. Verify that the mod has installed by the mod having the green diamond with a +.
Note: I think this may fix some of the issues when removing mods that overwrite loose vanilla game files in the data folder.

particularly at number 5, what project are you refering to? is it the original data folder of oblivion or the extracted "oblivion intact"

also it doesnt make sense if you'd want to delete the bsa's and esp's as 90% of the "oblivion intact" folder contains esp's and bsa's. im really confused by this..