General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

Hey, I need some help. I'm on the "Conflicting Textures" part of the updated Mythic Dawn Guide, and I noticed something. Here's the exact quote from the guide:

Quarl's Texture Pack III for NMM

Unpack the archive to a project and delete the old archive Do not install the following file(s) and/or folder(s):
  • meshes\dungeons\fortruins
Rename the following file(s) and/or folder(s):
  • meshes\dungeons\caves\exterior\ centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif -> meshes\dungeons\caves\exterior\centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif Note: I found that copy/pasting the file works best                        

I'm assuming by "do not install" he means delete the folder, but the real problem I'm having is with the second part. They're exactly the same, I'm wondering if this is a typo or not, please tell me what i do rename it to if it is a typo. And thank you so ******* much for updating this guide!!! :D

but the real problem I'm having is with the second part. They're exactly the same, I'm wondering if this is a typo or not, please tell me what i do rename it to if it is a typo. And thank you so ******* much for updating this guide!!! :D

You'll see that there's a space at the start of the centrance filename, which needs to be removed.

Windows doesn't just let you remove the space. Instead you need to give the filename a different name.

I've found that a good way is to do it this way:

Rename " centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif" to place a character where the space is, to "ccentrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

And then you will be allowed to rename "ccentrancemtnsnowlg02.nif" to "centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

It is to that last filename to which it needs to be renamed.

Edited by pmw57

I was also unable to rename the file but I could copy/paste it into the same dir but maybe cut/paste would work?

When renaming. Windows incorrectly considers that the filename with a space and the filename without the space are the same filename, and won't allow you to do that.

So instead, you can do it in a two-step process as is detailed in my previous post.

You'll see that there's a space at the start of the centrance filename, which needs to be removed.

Windows doesn't just let you remove the space. Instead you need to give the filename a different name.

I've found that a good way is to do it this way:

Rename " centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif" to place a character where the space is, to "ccentrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

And then you will be allowed to rename "ccentrancemtnsnowlg02.nif" to "centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

It is to that last filename to which it needs to be renamed.

This worked for me, thank you :D I'm surprised I didn't notice the space ha.

When renaming. Windows incorrectly considers that the filename with a space and the filename without the space are the same filename, and won't allow you to do that.

So instead, you can do it in a two-step process as is detailed in my previous post.

This is because Windows Explorer trims leading and trailing spaces from the name, so it effectively confuses itself into erroneously thinking this is the same file name. It would be understandable if it trims the text entered by the user, but it mistakenly trims the name it gets from the disk as well. Your technique to rename " test" to xtest and then rename xtest to test works well. You can also do it from the command line without the intermediate step:

ren " step" step

Hi there,

I'm having an odd issue - the game runs fine, but the font is an unreadable, bold, blotchy black. Personally have no idea what could be causing it, I've tried disabling/enabling the plugins systematically via Wrye Bash but nothing seems to correct it! Any suggestions?

Edit: I should be more specific I suppose: Menu UI is borked. Fields are in the odd font (like the Race select box in creation, weapon/item names etc). Subtitles seem unaffected.

Edited by lewkas