General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

Just tried a comparison with DarkUId DarN (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/11280/) - seems more legible, the issue seems to be the text is huuuge compared to the boxes for it. Added in the .ini fix, still not working quite right - but with the Dark version I can at least differentiate between menu options. Odd problem :/.

mhmm, are you using MO?

Wrye Bash.

You'll see that there's a space at the start of the centrance filename, which needs to be removed.

Windows doesn't just let you remove the space. Instead you need to give the filename a different name.

I've found that a good way is to do it this way:

Rename " centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif" to place a character where the space is, to "ccentrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

And then you will be allowed to rename "ccentrancemtnsnowlg02.nif" to "centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

It is to that last filename to which it needs to be renamed.

Ok, I'm getting confused here. If I rename the file as advised, then we have in the folder two absolutely identical filenames. Surely that can't be right. Maybe should I change one of them to "centrancemtnsnowlg01.nif"?

Ok, I'm getting confused here. If I rename the file as advised, then we have in the folder two absolutely identical filenames. Surely that can't be right. Maybe should I change one of them to "centrancemtnsnowlg01.nif"?

The removal of the space in front of the file name is all we want to achieve. Any character that is not a space(" "), do not edit.

I don't know how many different ways this can be explained but I think we've exhausted them.

What you should have done was to rename the mod's file so that it doesn't have the leading space, which allows it to properly replace the previously existing file.

It seems that you are looking within the oblivion data folder. Delete the one without the leading space, and use the above technique in post #424 to remove the leading space.

It seems that you are looking within the oblivion data folder. Delete the one without the leading space, and use the above technique in post #424 to remove the leading space.

No, I'm looking within the QTP3 redimized data folder, fresh from download, and the Meshes/dungeons/caves/exterior has two filenames with the exact same name, barring the initial space in one of them. If I get rid of the space, then I have two identical filenames in the folder and Windows let me know.

Now, the QTP3 UOP compatibility patch, has only one filename in that folder, and funnily enough, it doesn't have any space, it's already properly named, fresh from download, without any tinkering from my part.

The removal of the space in front of the file name is all we want to achieve. Any character that is not a space(" "), do not edit.

I don't know how many different ways this can be explained but I think we've exhausted them.

Don't need to exhaust yourself, I understood it well enough the first time I read it. Whay I'd love to know is what should I do with the fact that deleting that space results in having two identical filenames in the same folder.

No, I'm looking within the QTP3 redimized data folder, fresh from download, and the Meshes/dungeons/caves/exterior has two filenames with the exact same name, barring the initial space in one of them. If I get rid of the space, then I have two identical filenames in the folder and Windows let me know.

Now, the QTP3 UOP compatibility patch, has only one filename in that folder, and funnily enough, it doesn't have any space, it's already properly named, fresh from download, without any tinkering from my part.

Where you have two of the same filename (ignoring capitalization), one with a space in front of the name - you need the contents of the filename with the space, to replace the other file.

Starting with:

1. "CEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF"

2. " centrancemtnsnowlg02.nif"

Edit the original filename (by renaming it, but don't change anything yet) and copy the filenames text so that you get all the capitalization of its name:
The clipboard buffer should now contain the text "CEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF"

Rename the spaced filename so that it starts with a non-space character, such as "C", and paste what you copied from the previous step. You should now have two filenames with identical capitalization, all except for the first character of one of them:

1. "CEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF"

2. "CCEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF"

Delete the original file that didn't contain the space:

1. "CEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF" (Deleted)

2. "CCEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF"

Now rename the remaining file back to the original name.
2. "CEntranceMtnSnowLG02.NIF"

I hope that's now clear enough for everyone to follow.

The spaced filename is the new contents, that needs to replace the old file.
Edited by pmw57

Whay I'd love to know is what should I do with the fact that deleting that space results in having two identical filenames in the same folder.

The file without the space is a mistake, and should not be there. The file with the space was supposed to replace the file without the space, but because of the space it wasn't able to replace the file without the space.

In otherwords, get rid of the one without the space and rename the one with the space, according to the instructions above for the most aesthetically pleasing solution to the problem.

In otherwords, get rid of the one without the space and rename the one with the space, according to the instructions above for the most aesthetically pleasing solution to the problem.

Thank you very nuch. I got it now.

Now, regarding a completely different matter, what differences are between Oblivion Grass Overhaul and grass replacers like "natural grasses" (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47108/?) or Far Cry Inspired Grass (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47038/?). Are compatible, complementary or you just have to pick one?

Thank you very nuch. I got it now.

Now, regarding a completely different matter, what differences are between Oblivion Grass Overhaul and grass replacers like "natural grasses" (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47108/?) or Far Cry Inspired Grass (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47038/?). Are compatible, complementary or you just have to pick one?

well, out of the box compatible, no, but with a patch then yes.

The styles clash so probably best to find one that you like and use it. 

The only thing that I would be weary about are land edits. There is a landscape fix somewhere on the nexus that should fix it on the fly if it ever pops up, but I never used it and and issues with mods that I select shouldn't require it.

I should probably get this to a point where I can make another spin off for my "Pretty Much Vanilla X" guide series that I want.

Hi there!

I was wondering if you kept a copy of the old STEP guide (if it's somewhere, I'm not able to find it).

I would like to contribute to this guide and I have my own list of favourite mods (a very long list I can say, only top quality mods of course XD) and my idea was to compement it with the ones presented in this guide (I saw some interesting mods I didn't know). But, suddenly, one day it dissapeared. I can only remmember some of them (and specially the last part concerning bashed patch and LOD generation tools).

If not, I will work with the new STEP guide and see how I can improve it (if I can) the guide.

Thanks

Hi there!

I was wondering if you kept a copy of the old STEP guide (if it's somewhere, I'm not able to find it).

I would like to contribute to this guide and I have my own list of favourite mods (a very long list I can say, only top quality mods of course XD) and my idea was to compement it with the ones presented in this guide (I saw some interesting mods I didn't know). But, suddenly, one day it dissapeared. I can only remmember some of them (and specially the last part concerning bashed patch and LOD generation tools).

If not, I will work with the new STEP guide and see how I can improve it (if I can) the guide.

Thanks

If I knew the old guide was never accessible, I wouldn't have done it this way. Lucky, this is the wiki and there is a history button.

The old guide has massive oversights which is why I did it this way.