General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

Having an issue applying the .bcf for OBSE-Elys-Universal Silent Voice from the Mythic Dawn guide;

WindowsError: [Error 123] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect: u'c:\\users\\aaron\\appdata\\local\\temp\\WryeBash_4eocof\\4249925D\\archive: C:\\Users\\Aaron\\Desktop\\Oblivion Mods\\Bash Installers\\OBSE -Elys- Universal Silent Voice v93-16622.zip'

I redirected the WB Oblivion Mods folder to my desktop, not sure if that's related?

Alright so lacking an answer I've just gone ahead and used intuition - .txt file in the .zip indicates a super simple install; drop into OBSE/Plugins and go.  So I created the folders, dropped the files in, re-zipped and installed normally in WB.  Can't see why this should not be correct, if anyone knows otherwise I'd love to hear it.

Lol no love for Oblivion.  Or maybe its just me...

I know nobodies playing this game anymore, but Skyrim SE isn't quite ready and unfortunately neither is Fallout 4 (if it will ever be).  So I'm occupying myself with modding Oblivion.  Plus I wanted to learn more about Wrye Bash.

Anyway.  Just have a couple questions about some issues I'm having with OR right now - both are apparently known issues, but info on fixes/workarounds is scarce;

1. Player character is transparent in 1st person.  Apparently this is due to Ambient Occlusion (from what I've read)?  Haven't actually tried disabling it to test because... well I'd really rather not play without.

* The one workaround I've heard of is using skin shaders from OBGE - unclear of whether it's possible to use ONLY skin shaders from OBGE.  Again, doesn't sound like much of a fix to me to try to use OR + OBGE together... If that's the case I'd likely rather use ENB (which apparently also has the AO transparency issue) with OBGE skin shaders.

2.  Blood decals are stretched and distorted, focused around my crosshair.  Apparently this is a known bug, simple fix is to set blood decals to off in Oblivion settings... Again not much of a fix but I can live without.

3.  That wonderful water shader/effect that plays over the camera in 1st person when exiting water also plays when exiting from any interior space to any exterior space - as far as I can tell.  Haven't looked into that much... It's annoying but I can... mostly live with it.

Anyway if anybody knows of any solutions that would be wonderful...  Though I don't have much hope.

At the moment it's looking like I'm going to have to uninstall OR and use ENB... 

Is the Grass Overhaul mod supposed to be the end of the guide?  Feels like it abruptly ended like the ending was accidentally deleted or something.  I completed every step except for running TES4LL because I haven't learned how to use it yet.  Game runs fine, no issues so far (although I haven't made it out of the caves yet).  Just seems like the guide was cut short or something.  It does say it's an unfinished guide though so maybe mods such as OCO (or similar) will get added later?  Either way, my Oblivion is looking great so far after following this guide!

Edited by Kattmandu

...Skyrim SE isn't quite ready and unfortunately neither is Fallout 4 (if it will ever be).  So I'm occupying myself with modding Oblivion...

Same here.  Decided to play Oblivion while waiting for TechAngel85's SSE guide v3 to be completed.

1. Player character is transparent in 1st person.  Apparently this is due to Ambient Occlusion (from what I've read)?  Haven't actually tried disabling it to test because... well I'd really rather not play without.

* The one workaround I've heard of is using skin shaders from OBGE - unclear of whether it's possible to use ONLY skin shaders from OBGE.  Again, doesn't sound like much of a fix to me to try to use OR + OBGE together... If that's the case I'd likely rather use ENB (which apparently also has the AO transparency issue) with OBGE skin shaders.

2.  Blood decals are stretched and distorted, focused around my crosshair.  Apparently this is a known bug, simple fix is to set blood decals to off in Oblivion settings... Again not much of a fix but I can live without.

3.  That wonderful water shader/effect that plays over the camera in 1st person when exiting water also plays when exiting from any interior space to any exterior space - as far as I can tell.  Haven't looked into that much... It's annoying but I can... mostly live with it.

Just started playing (still in the caves).  Not sure if my play-through exhibits the same issues or not but I'll keep my eye open for these (even though your post is 2 years old now...LOL).

Edited by Kattmandu

This guide was being re-built but hasn't been touched in ages at this point.  It'll provide a pretty solid base to work from but is by no means complete.  There is a way to access older versions of the guide that were more complete, but I believe they were taken away because of various issues, including falling out of date - it can be helpful if you're willing and able to troubleshoot on your own, but could be detrimental otherwise.  

Bevilex's modlist on the Nexus is more up to date and has some fairly active support, and there are links on that page to other nexus-hosted oblivion modlists.  Between all of that I was able to build a pretty thorough list of my own preference, and a lot of the older issues with OR have been fixed... but (at least last I checked) there are new features which bring new issues.

I got pretty far and was able to make Oblivion look great and add a ton of features to the game... but a persistent CTD that I just didn't have the time or desire to figure out killed it for me.  I'm sure it's a Windows 10 / OSR or possibly OR settings issue, but... yeah.

I ended up abandoning my modded Oblivion installation and started fresh but this time I followed the Bevilex guide on Nexus since it's a finished guide and still being maintained today.  I've had a few quirks but nothing I couldn't get past so far.  Hopefully, I don't come across a persistent CTD like you have.  At one point, the game would crash if I tried to fast travel so I walked instead to a different location and was able to fast travel from there.