General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

Sadly no, I'm re going over the guide and hopefully it works out this time.  Also the "G" key that is making your game crash is normal.  It's from the new version of oblivion reloaded, altnet is working on fixing it.  I'm very determined to get a stable set up using this guide.  It would be nice to work with someone who is also trying to ruin this guide to get this running stable so we can help each other out.  If I cant get a stable load running using this guide with certain tweaks and not, I wouldn't mind revising it so it is stable for others.  My modding experience isn't that great however. 

Edited by Scythiss

Ok so going back into it tonight I'm still getting some crashes, but not the same 'ones' Last night if I tried to leave Anvil by the gates I crashed every time. This time I was able to exit fine but when I tried to fast travel to the Gottshaw in it crashed, but when I quit the game and loaded a save at the inn straight it worked fine. I almost wonder if there is too much in the 'Gold Coast' area and it is crashing due to RAM limitations. It shouldn't be to be fair because it's patched with the 4GB patch. Either that or it is depending on how it loads in the assets each time and depending on that order it either works or dies a violent and sudden death? 

Hmm, I've been away for awhile and will be again but I have good news, I ordered some computer components but I have work so :/

I'll eventually take a look through the guide and streamline some stuff and fix other things when I remember them.

Off hand does the 64 bit MO work the same as the 1.3.11 ver when it comes to OBSE plugins? 

Sounds logical enough.  Will take a while, but that's the sacrifice you have to make for a stable game. 

Does anyone have experience with landmagic? I don't know how to run it It says just extract anywhere and run it but it does nothing for me :(

Nope, I like the idea but I have not looked at the code, theory or results.

is it inevitable to stutter like crazy inside cities with better cities? I stutter a tiny bit in most cities but anvil I stutter like nuts.  I also have OSR

Also I'm seeing peoples teeth through their face from a distance? anyone know what this might be?

Well, I wouldnt call it stutter as much as really low framerate. If I am able to recall correctly I observed ~5 to 20 FPS in cities with BC. Didnt matter what was installed because it made no difference.

My game crashes after a good distance of runninig.  Let's say every 20 to 30 mins and no particular spot.  Is this normal? I swear no mods I'm using conflict with each other and if they do I have the patches to sort that out.

Honestly, I wish I knew what causes OB to crash but I dont. If there are any possible solutions, I'd like to hear about them but sadly many of the fixes way back when no longer apply.

Another issue I'm dealing with is these weird eyes on some of these khajits and I can't figure out what it is. 

oco

https://i.imgur.com/fyEIwVH.jpg?1

Vanilla

https://imgur.com/qFjWBWA

remove beautifulpeople.esp or what ever the plugin is called.

Hmm, I've been away for awhile and will be again but I have good news, I ordered some computer components but I have work so :/

I'll eventually take a look through the guide and streamline some stuff and fix other things when I remember them.

Off hand does the 64 bit MO work the same as the 1.3.11 ver when it comes to OBSE plugins? 

Nope, I like the idea but I have not looked at the code, theory or results.

Well, I wouldnt call it stutter as much as really low framerate. If I am able to recall correctly I observed ~5 to 20 FPS in cities with BC. Didnt matter what was installed because it made no difference.

Honestly, I wish I knew what causes OB to crash but I dont. If there are any possible solutions, I'd like to hear about them but sadly many of the fixes way back when no longer apply.

remove beautifulpeople.esp or what ever the plugin is called.

The eyes even look like this without oblivion character overhaul.  They look like this when it is vanilla oblivion on some npc's that are khajits.  I'm wondering if it's possible to get a bad copy of the game.  I purchased my copy from steam towards the end of last December. 

Also I'm really happy you are going to look and tweak this guide again hishutup.  I really want to replay oblivion specially because I didn't care for skyrim too much but loved oblivion.  If there is anything I can do to help out please let me know, I will say my experience in modding isn't much but I'm willing to help and I want to learn so I can eventually have a nice stable game running.

@general happy pie, that's odd, I never experienced CTD's anywhere around anvil.  Only CTD's I experienced is by the leywinn harbor which I'm not sure which is causing this one.  The other is OOO making me crash between horns cave and ill omen inn.

Edited by Scythiss

I managed to find what I think was the cause of the crash between Gottshaw & Brina Cross Inn. After much googling it seems that MMM More Wilderness Wildlife - No Gates was the issue. I removed that and rebashed my patch and have managed to walk around that area without issues.

Now however whenever I try to enter Anvil I crash. Any gate. Seriously Oblivion why do you hate me so much!

Edit: I fast travelled to the other side of the map, then quit, reloaded my original save and now I can get in and out of Anvil fine. Might just have to be a trick to use every once in a while to clear out bad data?

Edited by GeneralHappyPie

I have a rather weird problem with Oblivion. I have been using the STEP guide and have most of the STEP mods installed, plus a few extras. I've started a new game, level 1, and am roaming through Firelyte Cave not far from Skingrad.

The problem is: when I initiate combat with an enemy, I cannot retreat. I am kind of stuck in one place and can only swing my sword or shoot an arrow or cast a spell. I have a cave door right behind me but I can't even turn around and retreat. This is NOT the way I remember how Oblivion works! Is there a mod in STEP that is doing this to my character? And if so, which one?

It's been a few years since I played but I remember being able to shoot arrows at a wolf and then jump on a rock to escape him and stiill keep fighting. Now I'm just stuck in place. There have also been a few occasions when my HUD has disappeared off screen, my character can't move, and I've had to type "enableplayercontrols" in the console to bring back the HUD and be able to move again.

I am using WIN 10 on a Rampage V Extreme MB with 32GB RAM and a 980TI, and using Mod Organizer for this game with the GOTY disc version of Oblivion (to bypass the OBSE problems with MO and Steam). My current game seems very stable with about 163 plugins, looks beautiful and seems to run like a charm. Only thing I haven't done yet is create the Bashed Patch and run the LOD generator.

Anybody have any ideas where I should look? I suppose I could just disable all mods, start a new game and see if that happens when combat starts up again.

I managed to find what I think was the cause of the crash between Gottshaw & Brina Cross Inn. After much googling it seems that MMM More Wilderness Wildlife - No Gates was the issue. I removed that and rebashed my patch and have managed to walk around that area without issues.

Now however whenever I try to enter Anvil I crash. Any gate. Seriously Oblivion why do you hate me so much!

Edit: I fast travelled to the other side of the map, then quit, reloaded my original save and now I can get in and out of Anvil fine. Might just have to be a trick to use every once in a while to clear out bad data?

I would say not a good idea.  There is clearly and issue in your game causing you to crash, and you should def fix whatever is making you crash there.  Who know what other issues it might be causing in other areas of the game.

I have a rather weird problem with Oblivion. I have been using the STEP guide and have most of the STEP mods installed, plus a few extras. I've started a new game, level 1, and am roaming through Firelyte Cave not far from Skingrad.

The problem is: when I initiate combat with an enemy, I cannot retreat. I am kind of stuck in one place and can only swing my sword or shoot an arrow or cast a spell. I have a cave door right behind me but I can't even turn around and retreat. This is NOT the way I remember how Oblivion works! Is there a mod in STEP that is doing this to my character? And if so, which one?

It's been a few years since I played but I remember being able to shoot arrows at a wolf and then jump on a rock to escape him and stiill keep fighting. Now I'm just stuck in place. There have also been a few occasions when my HUD has disappeared off screen, my character can't move, and I've had to type "enableplayercontrols" in the console to bring back the HUD and be able to move again.

I am using WIN 10 on a Rampage V Extreme MB with 32GB RAM and a 980TI, and using Mod Organizer for this game with the GOTY disc version of Oblivion (to bypass the OBSE problems with MO and Steam). My current game seems very stable with about 163 plugins, looks beautiful and seems to run like a charm. Only thing I haven't done yet is create the Bashed Patch and run the LOD generator.

Anybody have any ideas where I should look? I suppose I could just disable all mods, start a new game and see if that happens when combat starts up again.

That's really Odd, I never experienced that issue before.  Sadly disabling all mods and adding a few at of time to see if the problem persists is the only way to find out what is causing it.

Further Updates: I've installed the ENB and that seems to have helped with the crashing. I've been wandering around Anvil going in and out of places and questing for quite a while now with no more crashes. More 'testing' (by which I mean playing the game and having fun lol) to come though.

Side question though: Because there is no DLC popups how does one get the DLC quests (frostcrag etc) to start? I'm guessing one of the mods causes these to happen as you play through the game further/level up? Also is there any way to just 'wait' or can you only rest in a bed now? At the moment most of the quests I have revolve around waiting till late at night and not being able to just pass a few hours is quite the pain.

Further Updates: I've installed the ENB and that seems to have helped with the crashing. I've been wandering around Anvil going in and out of places and questing for quite a while now with no more crashes. More 'testing' (by which I mean playing the game and having fun lol) to come though.

Side question though: Because there is no DLC popups how does one get the DLC quests (frostcrag etc) to start? I'm guessing one of the mods causes these to happen as you play through the game further/level up? Also is there any way to just 'wait' or can you only rest in a bed now? At the moment most of the quests I have revolve around waiting till late at night and not being able to just pass a few hours is quite the pain.

ENB or ENB boost?

@ Scythiss - Yeah Enboost is the one I'm using, the recommended one from here: 

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/8681-mythic-dawn-2015-update-discussion-changelog/

The CTD & Memory patch one.

@hishutup - Well I really like OOO. The idea of everything leveling with me always caused me to struggle with the game and this fixes it, brilliantly in my opinion. I do wonder however if the whole FCOM package is just a lil too much in terms of causing instability within the game itself though. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of it but it seems with the way the mods tend to interact it can cause more issues than is worthwhile for what you get out of it. Just my thoughts anyway. Also welcome back and thank you once again for all the amazing work you have done with this :)

@hishutup Maskars Oblivion Overhaul is amazing and very stable.  It add's a lot of features and is all configurable in the ini.  It actually breathes some life into the game.  When I read the read me I was really amazed, and it is also being kept up to date.  The mod author said it should be updated again in  a few weeks.  I really want to use an ENB rather than ENB boost, but being in 4k ENB boost seems essential because 4k eats up so much more ram than the standard 1080p.

@generalhappypie, Have you expierenced any CTD's with OOO in the place I posted? Between Horn cave, and Ill omen inn?

Also I tried to check gotshaw inn in the place you were crashing and I had no issue but I'm not even close to being finished with the guide.

As of now I just finished the Character Improvement's section  Also there is a no neck seam version for oco out, it may be a little complicated to install but it's worth it.

I can run all the way from anvil to skingrad, to bravil, to leyawinn, to cheydinal, to bruma, to chorrol without crash.  This is also without ENB boost.