HighslideGallery

TechAngel85

Question

HighslideGallery is an extension for MediaWiki written by our very own, stoppingby4now.

Please see the link above to find out how to use it on the wiki. It is preferable to use the HighslideGallery to include an image gallery on wiki pages rather than using the Gallery and GalleryItems templates, since those templates were created specifically for system pages such as the mod pages.

Grouping a large number of screenshots into sub pages would be one alternative (just no main content in sub pages). But also don't be afraid to break up the content of a guide and place major sections into their own top level pages, particularly if there will be a lot of images. Using a category to correlate them ads Z mentioned would then tie them together. There is no hard and fast rule that says a guide must be one page only.

I hear ya, but your vision will have to be flexible in regards to the number of images you are planning on using. For example, if you prefer a single page to be able to display 50 images, having 450px thumbs will cause a significantly higher load time than 150px thumbs. While your vision may have been to have the larger sized thumbs, to be practical you may need to use much smaller ones. Google images is a great example of what really needs to be done, and that is to load in stages, and to initially show compressed lower quality previews, both of which we don't have a mechanism for.

The dummy image is small, but I am not sure if browsers (or wiki caching) treat the images as one instance repeated many times or many instances repeated one time (i.e., for 300 duplicated images, 1 cached image versus 300, respectively).

I think that a good multi-page strategy could be done in two ways: creating one page per setting at the top level (and adding all to a unique category or, better yet, a subcategory of [[Category:Guides]]), or creating one top-level page and giving each setting a subpage. I searched the wiki using term 'screenshots' ... Terrain Bump screenshots subpage came up, and it belongs to [[Category:Mod Subpage]], which belongs to [[Category:Mods]], so this was a successful search for me, and it seems to be a logical way to organize mod-related screenshots. (but where the heck did the images go??).

Anyway, the ENB INI guide could use /Screenshot subpages by setting and use [[Category:Screenshots]]. I think then each subpage will inherently belong to [[Category:Guides]] as well

EDIT: Actually, a category hierarchy makes sense too ...

Key:

Category[subcat][sub-subcat] (pagename/subpagename/subsubpagename)

[*]Guides (Guide:ENB)

[*]INI Guides (Guide:ENBSeries.INI)

[*]INI Settings (Guide:ENBSeries.INI/Environment)

[*]Screenshots (Guide:ENBSeries.INI/Environment/Screenshots)

the subpages are INI section names. I know these are subpages (s4n does not like them), but they are also categorized effectively, and the page names are intuitive. Searching by any term in the page name will bring that page near the top of the search result, and it is simple for users to navigate either visually or via the URL.

I don't know what you are referring to about dummy images. Browsers treat resources based on url. If an image is used multiple times and the url is the same, it only exists in the browsers memory once. If the url is different, it's loaded multiple times. So if you end up using the same image on the wiki, and one is 200px wide, and the other is 400px wide, the urls to thumbs are different, and there are two images loaded by the browser.

Dummy images are an image one of us uploaded quite a while back that tech is using over and over again for now.RE duplicated images: Good, that's what I expected but was not certain.

Tech, I am just suggesting that you use the INI sections as subpage names to your guide and /Screenshots as sub-subpage names to the sections, as that seems like the only way you could logically parse the screens (but for some of these sections, you might even need to go down to /Guide:ENBSeries.INI/Sectionname/Screenshots/#)

I will change the category of the guide and add it as a sub to Guides, and if you add [[Category:INI Settings]] to your 'settings section' pages and [[Category:Screenshots]] to your screenshots sub-subpages, that would work nicely I think.

Here is an example of how this could work using your Environments tab ... the way you have it, there is no need to create a /Screenshots subpage.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBseries_IN/Environment

... be sure to navigate to the bottom of the page and follow the category links to see how it is hierarchically organized under the Guides category.

My CSS: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:TechAngel85/enbseries.css (it's in my User space because for some reason it wouldn't work for me @ ...Guide:ENBSeries INI/enbseries.css)

It mainly controls white space (which is terrible by default once you start adding several layers of headers, imo) and alignments but also has some custom styles for a few elements like the pre tags.