Monitor, 144 Hertz, V-sync, Enb, Performance and Cheese

TehKaoZ

Question

Hello,

I am curious if I am doing this right and was hoping to find someone with a bit of knowledge who could help. Not too recently I got this monitor :https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

It runs at 144 Hertz and I was trying to figure out how this would work in enb. I am not super technical but based on my research this type of number is more or less useless for Skyrim because by default the games fps is capped at 60. Furthermore I cap my fps at 35 because I use a pretty heavy enb (Serenity) and I hate when my frames jump up and down by drastic numbers.

The advice online is that one should set their V-sync (via Nvidia inspector) at 1/3 refresh or 1/4 to prevent the monitor from producing a sort of ghosting effect at lower frames. Basically what I did was turn off enb v-sync, and set to system 1/4 refresh. Other types of advice included setting the monitor to lower Hertz but the screen's colors look completely off when I do this (plus I can only set it as low as 120).

Anyways, wondering if anyone uses a similar monitor and what they did when running Skyrim. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

One of my displays is a 120Hz Samsung SyncMaster SA950D

I usually run with all V-sync stuff turned off, and only use a FPS limiter set to 58-59 to not cause the physics bugs with the Skyrim game, otherwise I can reach FPS ranges up to 300-500 FPS in the game.

You could also clock your graphic card/cards to have a static clock so it won't fluctuate based on the current amount of needed GPU usage. Might stabilize it somehwat, then there is the pre-render frames option.

So here are  some settings I use, related to this;

Nvidia Inspector;

Posted Image

Skyrim.ini;[Display]....iPresentInterval=0
SkyrimPrefs.ini;[Display]...bFull Screen=1iPresentInterval=0

I can't remember which it should be in. But im certain it didn't actually do anything when it was turned off in the SkyrimPrefs.ini but did actually work Skyrim.ini. However it was a long time ago when Skyrim was still recieving updates so that might have changed. Either way I have kept both of the lines in those files without issues.

If you are running in window mode you will lose a small amount of performance, so it's better to run in full screen mode. But if you decide to do a "coding session" which would result in a lot of alt+tabbing out of the game, run in window mode then as it causes least amount of problem in window mode when doing things like that.

enblocal.ini;[MEMORY]ExpandSystemMemoryX64=trueReduceSystemMemoryUsage=trueDisableDriverMemoryManager=falseDisablePreloadToVRAM=falseEnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=falseReservedMemorySizeMb=512VideoMemorySizeMb=14336EnableCompression=falseAutodetectVideoMemorySize=false[WINDOW]ForceBorderless=falseForceBorderlessFullscreen=false[ENGINE]ForceAnisotropicFiltering=falseMaxAnisotropy=16ForceLodBias=falseLodBias=0.0EnableVSync=falseAddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=falseVSyncSkipNumFrames=0[LIMITER]WaitBusyRenderer=falseEnableFPSLimit=falseFPSLimit=59.0

Those are my ENB memory settings, I've tried with running Compression and Autodetect on but I think it works better for me with those off. Haven't done any proper testing on my PC yet to make sure that is the most stable settings for me though.

The limiter offered in ENB have been buggy, it was fixed by Boris in the more recent versions of ENBSeries but I still recommend not to use it because it has some "kinks in it's armor" still, so use Nvidia Inspector or AMD equivalent of that to set your max desired FPS to 58-59 FPS

I would leave your monitor refresh rate at it's default level, I run mine at an overclocked state (native 1x60HZ, 1x75HZ and 1x120Hz monitors) with an increased value of 1Hz to achieve a better black level. However certain games and programs does not like this and forces the screen to be running at the native refresh rate instead of the user defined one. Which will cause a, in my own terms, drastic shift in overall color intensity the monitor produces when I have used the overclocked value of the refresh rate.

• +1 2

Thanks for the replies! my actual frame rate stays roughly around 30-40 only because I have Serenity installed. I ended up capping it at 35 fps just so I wouldn't have that awkward transition from interior to exterior when the frames drop 20+. I did try turning off v-sync a few times but never noticed any difference in performance but did notice the subtle tearing (which probably is a result of the lower frame rates). I think 1/4 refresh also caps it at lower frames not sure.

enblocal settings

[MEMORY]ExpandSystemMemoryX64=trueReduceSystemMemoryUsage=trueDisableDriverMemoryManager=falseDisablePreloadToVRAM=falseEnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=falseReservedMemorySizeMb=256VideoMemorySizeMb=6144EnableCompression=trueAutodetectVideoMemorySize=false[WINDOW]ForceBorderless=falseForceBorderlessFullscreen=false[ENGINE]ForceAnisotropicFiltering=falseMaxAnisotropy=16ForceLodBias=falseLodBias=-0.24EnableVSync=falseVSyncSkipNumFrames=0AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

Thanks for the advice, I figured it best to leave my monitor settings alone but figured I'd get a second opinion!