Actual Windows - Farmhouses by (Majk360)

TechAngel85

Discussion thread:
Actual Windows - Farmhouses by Majk360
Wiki Link

This mod allows the exterior of the windows to appear as though they're see-through...just like a normal window should be. Specifically from the author:

Farmhouses have been altered to give windows cupemap reflections and transparency. To add realism, low poly interiors have been added to exterior meshes. The only texture that will be replaced is the window textures for farmhouses. The window textures are hand made from scratch.

What is this black magic???  :psyduck:  Realism enthusiast like myself are drooling! Author said he hopes to expand the mod to include more than just the farmhouses too!

He says he did this by editing the farmhouse meshes. So far they are SMIM and ELFX compatible. He also claims that all farmhouse textures are compatible (besides windows) because the meshes are the same for most of the farmhouses, he's only altered the windows on the meshes. I've installed it for my personal playthrough and will be testing it the next time I get a change to play.

Ok well it sounds to be a high compatability mod then, which is good. Based on that info I only have for instance one minor ELE module that might have compatability issues with it, which is an easy fix.

Downloading it now and will skim through both in game and "under the hood".

Nice. Does it show anyone inside if you know there is someone supposed to e in there? I doubt it as it'd probably increase the overhead similar to open world houses.

No, it only applies cubemaps to the windows that were created from the interior. Sounds like the author put a lot of work into it.

From the mod author himself;

All retextures of farmhouses are compatible, the only texture this mod changes is the window texture. If you want to install a 
retexture that affects farmhouses, install that one first, then this mod. 

I really recommend getting SMIM and then 4K Parallax Skyrim by Pfuscher aka Zerwas1  before installing this mod. 
It is not required, but things will look much better.

And i have tested it with frozunswaidon's farmhouse re-textures and they work technically, I have yet to make a visual compatability assessement yet though. Too busy with the ELE v44-14 release

Edited by JawZ
  • +1 1

Okay, I've played with these in-game for a bit and I have to say they are awesome! The windows are still nice and dirty like you'd expect them to be but instead of seeing just a cloudy window that you can't see through, you can actually see some of the interior. I haven't completely tested them in all lighting, but I suspect this is going to be once of my "must have" mods from now on!

Okay, so one thing that I know some users will complain about is the nighttime glow. This mod greatly reduces that glow! ENB uses can most likely compensate with the Window Light settings, but this will effect all windows, not just farmhouses so be careful when doing that. I think the reduced glow is more realistic; however, do agree that it might be reduced just a bit too much. This is something the author could improve upon.

EDIT:

The author has made a brighter version with the 1.01 release.

Love the idea, was waiting to see something like this. And although the implementation was well done, I feel the windows are too transparent... But obviously that is looking at old middle ages windows, especially in northern countries which were really thick and pretty opaque. Hence I like Rustic Windows more for now. However I could probably change the transparency settings to make it more my liking... I wish I had the time to make something like this.

Following up on my earlier comment about the window glow at night, the author has already made a brighter version with the 1.01 release.

EDIT:

Quick test in game, the brighter version is a nice improvement.

EDIT2: I do agree the windows need a bit less transparency in them. With the brighter version at night, they are very clear.