MO installed mods not being found

primem0ver

Question

This is my first time using MO and utilities are not recognizing anything but what is installed in the vanilla directory. I cannot get LOOT or TesVEdit to recognize any mods installed through MO. I have ONLY tried running them through MO. I cannot play skyrim until I get my mods working because this is a reinstall after an OS fail and my savegames use the mods I have installed with MO (which means I need to get TesVEdit working in order to combine a few like I had them before).

11 answers to this question

Ugh.  It didn't make a difference.  AHA!!  Yes it did.  I modified my original zip uninstall the first time accidentally.  So even if the folders are the same, it must use the original install path in order to work.

To make this more clear...

If you use ridirects, junctions, mapped drive folders etc... in your path you MUST use the exact same path it was originally installed too.  Even though c:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim and d:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim are actually the same folder (on my computer), the path used in the ModOrganizer.ini file must be the same as the original install path.

Edited by primem0ver

In addition to my answer to your question in the Nexus forum, you must recognise that ANY tool that you want to use on your MO installed mods MUST ALSO be installed as an executable via MO.

MO uses a virtual file system and therefore the mods installed need to 'worked on' by tools that are aware of that VFS.

LOOT, Wrye Bash, TES5Edit or any other tool you want to use will only 'see' mods if they are run via the MO ui.

I said the following in the Nexus forum:

I am certain I did it right.  I clicked the Green Blue Gear button at the top (towards the left) and added it through the dialog you spoke of.  I followed the MO instructions on the LOOT video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzsb3hvbbr4) and the merge script video (

The only thing that isn't as you say is that the executables are NOT in my Skyrim Data folder.  But honestly, those tools have always run fine from the folders I installed them in.

In addition to my answer to your question in the Nexus forum, you must recognise that ANY tool that you want to use on your MO installed mods MUST ALSO be installed as an executable via MO.

So then from what I understand, I must install LOOT and TesVEdit from within MO BEFORE adding them to the list using the Modify Executables dialog?

Edited by primem0ver

So then from what I understand, I must install LOOT and TesVEdit from within MO BEFORE adding them to the list?

No. By "install via MO" I mean you need to have them added as executables in the MO program and run them from there. You can install them by any method you like but for them to "see" those MO installed mods they need to be RUN from MO.

If you have done as the instructions on the description page and the variuous YouTube videos describe, and I am assuming you have, the only other thing I can think of at the moment is Windows UAC is interfering in some manner.

If you have installed MO into the Program Files directory I would suggest you uninstall it and place it elsewhere.

UAC?

Perhaps then I should explain more about my setup in case it matters.  I do not follow traditional windows conventions for several things.  Skyrim is installed through a junction "Games" in my Program Files (x86) folder.  MO isn't installed in the Program Files folder at all.  Here is the way it was done:

D: is a drive with empty folders that map to different partitions.  D:\Games is mapped to my games partition.

In my Program Files (x86) folder is a folder junction (made using mklink /j) that points to the above folder.

I installed skyrim in c:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim

I copied MO (from the zip file it came in) directly to d:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Mod Organizer and start it using a shortcut on my desktop.

I then linked to the Skyrim folder using the d:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim path (same actual folder but different "path") when starting the first time.  [EDIT: this was my mistake...see solution]

Should I have linked through the original install path?

Edited by primem0ver

Honestly, I don't know.  I haven't played yet.  I have more mods than allowed which is why I need to combine some of them.  But I suppose I could find out by starting a new game with some MO installed mods running to see if they load.  Question is... what is a good mod to use so that I can tell right away?  If you could let me know I can test it tomorrow and post the results.  Need to get to bed lol.

I have one other quick idea.  I know that if I search for files in my users folder using D:\Users, that the crappy Windows "quickfind" features do not respond (which is a good thing because the windows indexing feature SUCKS).  So perhaps if MO maps to the folder in the ini file it uses and the other utilities use the registry to find the actual install path, then using the the d:\ path was a mistake because my experience with windows indexing suggests that the virtual path does matter.  So I am going to try changing the path in the MO ini file to the original install path and see if that works.

Ahh, okay. Well you need to see straight away, that is in game time, not right away as in tonight that is. If you have Alternate Start that will quickly tell you if MO is working. Or something like SkyUI then when the carriage ride ends you can fairly soon see if it is active.

If you have installed Skyrim and then later moved it or in some way changed the location, then yes there will probably be some orphaned references in the registry.