What about a Wiki Writing Guide

hishutup

Wiki Guide?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that this would be useful and/or used?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly or Unsure
  2. 2. Would you help out in the making of this guide?

• Yes
    • No
    • I will when I am able to
    • Maybe?

Question

This thread is redundant. please use the folowing links to read up on how to use the STEP wiki or where to post ideas, concerns, suggestions, etc.

STEP Wiki Guide
Discussion Thread

I was thinking back to when I wanted to start my guide and I remembered how difficult it was to get started because I had no idea what I was doing and I didn't know where to look for info.
I remember instructing others on this very matter and they seemed grateful that I helped them out.
That why I am asking, what about a wiki guide?

I was thinking something along the lines of a "crash course" short guide or something that has a lot of info and can be used as a resource
  • What is the markup used (html, MW, css)
  • Where to find info
  • Basic stuff​
    • WYSIWYG
    • Dos and don'ts
    • Headers
    • Images
    • Tables
  • Intermediate Stuff
    • Formatting
    • Templates
    • css
  • Special Stuff
  • Useful Stuff

Is there anything that is missing from the list?

Please share your thoughts on this even if you have zero interest in writing something for the wiki...

Ok, before making this topic I asked a few people and did a search for "wiki"...

That search engine in my mind is still terrible...

What you were planning to cover on that page is something that I cannot write about because I know little on the subject.

I don't plan on adding it anyhow.

I am going more for the person that want to get into this or the person that had forgot quite a bit in their absence...

It'll be like the cheatsheet but have the more of what is used on step...

Hmmm maybe a better title is "wiki writing on step"

Now a question, what would you want me to do?

I guess I'll make it in my namespace until I get a response

Hmm, the problem is that I dont even know where to start...

Here is a temporary link until DoubleYou gets back to me.

Wiki Writing Guide it'll be moved eventually

EDIT: use https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:The_STEP_Wiki

If anyone is going to add something then feel free to.

If you can think of a section then add a new header and maybe a small description

Ill sort through it as I go.

Edited by hishutup

@hishutup

I think it may be easier to just use the STEP wiki @DoubleYou linked to and enlarge upon that. If you are unsure of what is needed then narrowing down the edits is going to be next to impossible.

Is it focusing on just the STEP wiki? A more general wiki guide? Or some other criteria you have in mind?

Going by the headings you have in place at the moment it looks more like a generalised wiki guide. I don't think that is really needed, surely the web has a million of those already. More specific guidelines about how to format a consistent STEP wiki may be a more suitable starting point.

I'll put my mind to it in the next few days and see if I can set a framework.

EDIT:

Actually, looking through the already posted instructions in the https://forum.step-project.com/forum/15-wiki/ the need for another wiki guide becomes even more unnecessary. Or am I completely missing the point of what you are after?

Edited by GrantSP

Its supposed to be geared more toward directing the potential writer to get started (STEP specific), direct them where to find general info, describing STEP specific things like templates and whatnot.

So the guide would be a mix but I kinda want to leave the more generic stuff out but still have a link to where to find specific examples.

Like I had previously stated, when I was starting I had no idea where to even look and when I did find out that it was mediawiki their site is a pain to find anything unless you search for it.

When there is someone that wants to write something which I don't know about you but I pm'd Ess which helped me out but it still took me quite awhile to figure out where that I need to go(several days) because I had zero clue what I was doing.

I think it would be way helpful if all the info that was needed was on one page.

On the page it'll have STEP specific instructions and expectations that will guide them over on how things are done on STEP, where to look for info, who to ask for help and etc.

Hmm, maybe I need to think on this a little more and seeing what other say before jumping in

but that last statement -in my mind- sums it up pretty well

I glanced through that forum more than once and it appears to be focused on templates rather than help.

That is exactly what that guide I linked is intended for, it just has never been populated with information. Your goals are synonymous with the Wiki Editing section, so everything you are saying could go under that section. From the form, I was going about it from more of a technical aspect in my mind, but probably a more use-driven form is more appropriate, like what I see on your page.

That seems like

1. lot of maintenance

2. confusing

So I liked the questions that you previously asked and for once I actually gave this a second thought

I think I'll be focusing on what STEP does, where to find the info for the easy stuff(you said there is plenty of content out there and I agree), and describing the more difficult. 

Does that make sense or is it flawed?

Ill also be moving the page to edit to Doubleyou's

I think both you and @DoubleYou are looking to provide exactly the same thing, just coming at it from differing perspectives.

Yours looks more like information a complete novice will be able to understand whereas @DoubleYou's implies a bit of background knowledge.

Both are as good as one another, just different in style.

Yes, I agree to move it to one location. That's the beauty of wikis, we can all edit them to get them right.

Likewise with the focus on STEP style wikis. It makes for an easier reading experience if ALL the wikis look the similar. 

I didn't want to write another novice guide because it takes a ton of work.... I figured lets raise the level a little bit but not forgetting about the person that knows nothing(this is where the links help). I think this is going to rely on people joining the discussion adding what they think and then moving on.

In doing so the writing stage will take longer but the final produce should be significantly better.

This will work as long as there are people chipping in every once and awhile to give their 2 cents whether it be through discussion or adding it.

I don't know... Lets see what happens over time

those are not magic words but rather templates... Ill move things around

magic words are these

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Magic_words

They are in the form of all caps and no spaces and between two underscores on either side

like __NOTOC__ is common with small pages that really dont need a toc to navigate

Like the Unofficial Chat wiki

I found as I was writing it was always in the way and ruining the flow and formatting

Edited by hishutup

hmm... I will disagree with you about 'Magic Words'.

I understand that there are three types of them:

#Behaviour Switches - the ones you described

#Variables - these are formatted with 

{{ blah blah }}

#Parser Functions - formatted like

{{blah: more blah}}

But really it is only semantics we are talking about here.

If anyone wants to use the wiki all they need to know is the code used to achieve the desired effect. What that code is called isn't a big deal.

the warnings and whatnot are definitely templates though

yeah parser functions are to but is it really needed? 

Does anyone actually use them? If so, link a page.

Same goes with variables.

Both of those seem like wiki development to me...

Its up to DoubleYou and s4n since they seem to understand the most about SMW.

EDIT: Temporarily using the css that I made. Hopefully, finding the different headers will be easier

Edited by hishutup