Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

Quite frankly, I'm not going to customize this mod very much anymore. Updates come regularly nowadays and I have less time to spend on the TPC. Fiddling with the textures now that it has an ESP file will also make it harder, because removing files will have its consequences, and vanilla flora only have so many textures. If this mod settles down again then I'll look at making more specific changes, but right now it's just not worth it for me time wise.

I wish he would change it to something alike glorious grasses, because I find grass in this game way too tall. I will bring up some ideas and suggestions to him soon to hear what he has to say about them. Overall though I think that he makes some nice touches between the updates, especially color wise to make the flora more subtle. I do have the feeling my computer got some FPS drops with 1.5 though, but my video card is real crap currently so that might be why.

• 3 months later...

Seems the discussion on this mod has been somewhat dead. Has anyone done a compare/look at the various options currently available in this mod now?

There is the basic version (currently 1.5a) with 2 fix updates and Summer Edition (currently 1.5e).

Optional files include:

Darker Green Grass (for ENBs)

Fall Forest Textures (for ENBs)

Gloomy Snowy Pines

Two optional ESPs (This esp has less grass, lupins and white flowers. Green bushes has been added to the forest. / Replaces all Lupins (purple / pink flowers) for a more subtle flower (heather) )

Summer Tundra

Tree LODs by Spanian77

Updated Grass

I'm using 1.5a, the two fixes, Spanian77's tree LODs, and updated grass (with the exception of fieldgrassobj01.dds. It's too dark and doesn't blend with fieldgrassobj02.dds well). I didn't like the latest Vurt's at first, but the updated grass helps alot... the purple flowers were overkill. I also still delete the pine tree meshes because they still make trees look worse.

....this mod is pretty high maintenance.

I've stopped using Vurts more or less, although I keep experimenting with adding grass/plant textures from time to time. I've found that SRO's bark textures work alot better for me then the Vurts/treesHD ones, especially the snow variants look horrible in my opinion. The newest grass update look ok but I haven't used/observed it much yet.

Spanian77s alternative LOD is also better then Vurts default replacer, since it makes the snowcovered trees stand out less in particular. Anoldfriends tree LODs is probably the best alternative though.

Overall though, I find less and less use for flora textures (excluding LOD) when using a good ENB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Base edition v1.72 is out... it hosts some... Interesting? Changes. Need to re-evaluate as he took out ALL meshes for pines, etc.

Changelog (v1.72):

"Medium resolution" means a more balanced mod where i have resized some of the textures that

you don't get up close to (particularly some of the flat ground textures).

The edited versions of Aspens and Pines are removed, this because of peformance and stability reasons. I'm unsure if it is possible to get stable results from saving edited trees with the alpha Nifskope version for Skyrim.. Hopefully this will fix problems with crashes that a few people have reported. This way it's also possible for more people to play the mod and have the hi-res aspen and pine branches (because far less textures are needed and memory is preserved).

Reduced size on textures you don't get up close to

Many new additions to snowy ground covers

New Snowy and Half-Snowy pine

New non-snowy pine

Improved dead branches

Improved Snowy bark

Added half-snowy bark

Improved tundra textures to match the ground better

Improved snowy bush

Tree LOD's tweaked

.esp edits

I noticed this. I'm already using the low-res version for my system and was curious about the med-res and some of those changes he made. According to him it's more stable now. I've never had any issues with the low-res version though so I don't think I'd be any good in testing out that stability.