Chapter links scroll past the heading

GrantSP

Question

The behaviour of STEP wikis is a bit strange when it comes to jumping to chapter links.

When you click any type of link to a chapter heading the display begins the line after the heading with the actual heading itself offscreen at the top.

This shouldn't be the behaviour, the display should also include the heading.

I'm not really sure why this is happening as the code that is used seems to conform okay, perhaps the wiki software at the backend needs attention.

9 answers to this question

The anchors are working exactly how they are supposed to. The issue is the permanently placed top nav bar which ends up hiding the header that was jumped to. A work-around is possible in CSS (and was implemented at one time), however it only worked well in Firefox, and not 100% in IE or Chrome. It also ended up screwing with the padding surrounding the headers and made everything look out of place.

There are javascript solutions which work much butter and more consistently, I just haven't gotten around to implementing.

Was browsing the wiki today and I had a thought on this matter...

Is is possible to make the top bar fade in and out? An onMouseover event in HTML/Javascript used to be able to do this; however, I'm fairly positive this can be done via CSS now without the need for Javascript. This would be fairly simple to implement by just dropping the necessary code into site's CSS file and applying a class or id to the top bar's container element (as long as the child elements inherit to properties correctly). Doing this to top bar would fade out when not in use and fade in whenever it's needed and the user mouses over it.

No, not the onMouseover event. That is glitchy and horrible. But it's possible to do it entirely with CSS now. Just assign all the CSS code to a class and add the class to the container for the bar. Simple as that (assuming there is no trickery involved with the bar). The CSS way of doing it is reliable because I'm pretty sure I've done it in the past on a web site. But, Lord no, please don't use any onEvent elements!