Following STEP - TES5EDIT - cleaning update.esm

timaishu

Question

Sorry if this is has been answered before. I found one of my answers in this thread:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5512-following-step-tes5edit-cleaning-overwrite/?hl=+cleaning +update +esm

But I didn't see the answer to my other question. For step 2.B I am confused by this set of steps:

After cleaning, there shall be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by TES5Edit.

• Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod
  • Name it TES5Edit Backups and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the TES5Edit Backups useful if the changes failed to be successful.
  • Each subsequent time TES5Edit is used to edit a file, open Overwrite and drag the TES5Edit Backups back to this mod. This will keep them in an organized and safe location. The files have no impact on the game.
  • Right-click the TES5Edit Backups mod and select Ignore Missing Data to remove the red X Big_Red_X_MO.png flag.

I found the TES5edit update.esm backup in my MO overwrite folder, but the rest of the steps I don't understand. How do I select "Create Mod"? What application am I supposed to select this through? You cant do this with windows and I do not see how I am supposed to do it with MO. I ended up taking the cleaned update.esm file from skyrim/data and .rar'd it and installed it as a mod in MO, and then took the back up I made in step 1 and placed it in skyrim/data to restore the original.

I figure what I did above should work, but I still don't understand this step at all. Can anyone link me to a thread or clarify what I do here?

Edited by timaishu

With latest versions of MO and TESEdit, the new instructions should be accurate (and simplified)

They are indeed, and this is for the best. Thanks for your work.

I have one last question: the detailed instructions state that

The Unmanaged: Dawnguard mod should be placed between Dawnguard and Unofficial Dawnguard Patch in Mod Organizer's left pane.

Is this still relevant ? With the prior instructions, I had, from top to bottom, the user-created Cleaned Dawnguard ESM mod, then the Unmanaged: Dawnguard and then the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch. Now that the Cleaned Dawnguard ESM mod is not needed anymore, should I still have something Dawnguard-related above Unmanaged: Dawnguard?

In other words, here is the top part of my left pane, is anything missing ?

a6ddb64daa473a524ecd939bc4aa8f653c622d1a

Edited by NameTaken