Mod Organizer + Wrye Bash (orange and purple saves)

acindron

Question

Hey all,

I was just curious if it's possible to use MO and Wrye Bash together and still have clean saves (purple or blue). I'm not sure if it matters that much but I've noticed that all my saves turn orange. I posted about this a while back because I wanted to know if the orange saves were a big deal. I did some of my own research and I read that having them isn't going to crash your game.

But why does the load order in my saves rearrange itself from my MO load order? I was discussing this with Gromulos on Nexus chat and told me orange save files are not good and that you should only have blue or purple saves but he doesn't use MO. He strictly uses Wrye Bash. This was his guide: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2235394-beginners-guide-to-modding/

8 answers to this question

You know now that you mention it I too have noticed this. I am not using Wrye Bash as much as I did in my Oblivion days, but it is still installed and I use it to check on some things like these threads.

I would reckon that the plugin checking with Wrye Bash must be more stringent than the MO version.

When I started my default profile and playthrough I had a couple of plugins that after a while I realised they are not really needed and removed them.

MO when looking at those early saves shows them as having those plugins missing, however all later saves don't say they are missing, rather there are no indicators that anything is missing.

Wrye Bash however shows that all my saves are missing those plugins. My game suffers no problems. There are no CTDs, or anything that is the result of missing plugins. They were in fact extremely minor compatibility patches that shouldn't have been loaded in the first place.

All my saves, according to Wrye Bash are purple and are need of urgent attention. However as I said, this profile has been running smoothly for months and shows no issues.

• +1 1

I think...

green is load order has changed, masters are in order and no missing masters

purple is load order has changed but no missing masters

blue is load order is the same and there are no missing masters

red is missing a master

orange is load order has changed, masters are out of order and no missing masters

EDIT: Directly from the readme

a9e8f4df13.png

oh, ok...

|Purple:

Good. Exactly synced with the current load order.

|Blue: 

Good. Compatible with the current load order. However, the current load order includes some plugins that are not used by this save game.

|Green: 

Good, but not in sync with the current load order. Use Load Masters to sync load order to this save.

|Orange:

Some plugins have changed order. the game and the Construction Set/Creation Kit will adjust for this when loaded. However, if some of the plugins that you depend made conflicting changes to the same item, a different plugin may now dominate because of the reordering.

|Red: 

A master is missing. You should check to make sure that you have not inadvertently renamed or removed the plugin.

You have no idea how proud I am of the colors on the side

• +1 1

Thanks guys. I actually knew what orange saves meant but I suppose my question is: Why- if you're not touching your MO load order (besides for PerMa patching and Bashed Patch), why are game saves changing order? And how do you fix it?

Edit: GrantSP, missed your first post, reading...
So you have red saves with a stable game? That's really strange.

Edited by acindron

Ahh... well... no. Sorry about that. My mistake.

I went about trying to look into this a bit more and I have made a rookie mistake.

After installing everything and getting into MO a bit more months ago, I decided to make a specific profile and moved 'some' saves into that profile's save folder.

That meant the very first few saves and a couple of later ones exist in the default Skyrim saves folder where as in the profile folder the very first few saves and ALL subsequent saves are there.

I wasn't checking the the save numbers correctly, just the character name when I was looking in Wrye Bash, so what I thought was the latest save was in fact a save from months ago. Doh! /*facepalm*/

I found this out by trying to load another profile and do some bad saves and see what Wrye Bash shows. To my horror I found out I have no idea how to get Wrye Bash to find my profile specific saves. Still don't know. I can't find it clearly explained anywhere. When I do I think  MO Advanced wiki will be getting some new information added.

Edited by GrantSP
  • +1 1

Okay. Made a bit of headway.

You can get Wrye Bash (WB) to see the MO profile saves but it does involve a bit or symlinking which may not be the best alternative. That is of course unless there is an obvious way that is still eluding me.

Simply put Wrye Bash's version of profiles is a folder in the documents folder:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves\

So, let's make a profile called Test. You can make a symlink of the saves folder in MO which will be something like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\Test\saves\

and point it to the documents folder and rename accordingly to look something like:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves\Test\

Anything that appears in the MO profile saves folder will appear in the documents folder and then Wrye Bash will see it and display it as though it is a new WB profile. You don't even have to refresh WB as it just appears in the Profile list.

Using this method it now shows that my later saves are in fact fine, no missing plugins and the same condition is displayed in both MO & WB.

Warning!

This is not a two-way street.

Changing profiles within WB DOES NOT sync the load order to that profile so any differences will be flagged.

The load order of the MO profile will ALWAYS be active from within WB regardless of which profile save you are looking at.

EDIT:

Further changing WB profiles severlely messed up the mod order in MO resulting in the PMOP dialog indicating a needed 'Fix'.

Edited by GrantSP