Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2 not working.

NomenNescio

Question

I just switched to MO the other day and all my mods seem to be working fine with the exception of the Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2. I tried installing to a completely clean install of skyrim with no other mods, and it still didn't work so it's not a conflicts issue, I checked the data tap and the sound files appear under Sound - fix, the latter of which I believe to be made by the mod.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is, have anyone else encountered similar problems?

• Answers 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are you by chance the same poster with a different name that asked at Nexus?

If so I think @keithinhanoi has pretty much asked all that we would likely ask.

I would reiterate the importance of @hishutup's question. Since AOS is such a subtle mod, how exactly are you determining that it isn't working. Especially since the files appear to be installed into the VFS.

I know it isn't working because I installed it to a completely vanilla skyrim, the audio settings sliders was present, and the files were present in the data tap, but I get no archery sounds or footsteps, but all the vanilly sounds are still present, and if I uninstall AOS2 all the sounds are there.

In other words, I install the mod: certain sounds go missing, I uninstall the mod: all is well.

Edited by NomenNescio

I don't know what to say.

In testing this out I created a fresh profile and loaded only this mod and started a fresh game.

I gave myself a bow and some steel arrows and shot at anything I could. All the audio was what I would expect, that deep 'thwack' sound that AOS provides.

Of course the only esps loaded were the bare minimum, no AOS patch esps were needed and no other mods installed, other than the Unofficial patches.

Looking at them in TES5Edit there are no problems with conflict that would remove the sounds, there are however a few issues with conflict with the Unofficial patches that might need looking into.

Unless you have any other other mods installed other than Vanilla and AOS, you said you only had those, I don't know why there is no issue for me but you can't get the sound.

When you say "no other mods installed" do mean 'NO OTHER MODS' or just 'no other AUDIO mods'? It is possible for another mod that doesn't present itself as an audio mod to make changes to those audio records, thus reverting them to vanilla if that esp has priority.

In my playthroughs I use about 200 mods, give or take, but when I found the AOS2 sounds missing, I first wanted to rule out conflicts so I, like you, made a clean profile with literally no other mods, not even the unofficial patches, just skyrim, dlcs, and the AOS2.esp, and found the sounds were still missing, so I'm afraid a mod list want be of any use here.

Well I'm sorry to say it but I am at a loss as to why it doesn't appear to be working for you.

When you run TES5Edit from MO, do any conflicts or other errors show? If everything runs fine in the editor it should really run that way in game too. Especially with the minimal mod load you are using at the moment.

In my playthroughs I use about 200 mods, give or take, but when I found the AOS2 sounds missing, I first wanted to rule out conflicts so I, like you, made a clean profile with literally no other mods, not even the unofficial patches, just skyrim, dlcs, and the AOS2.esp, and found the sounds were still missing, so I'm afraid a mod list want be of any use here.

Did you start a new game with a new character after removing all the mods or did you load an existing save? The reason I ask is because Skyrim may be caching data from the removed mods in the save.

hmm...

maybe thats the way aos is supposed to work. I wouldn't know since it has been awhile.

do you leave AOS as a .bsa?

maybe extract it and test it to see if anything changes...

Im just throwing things out there now because I haven't experienced an issues like this

Alright so I tried sttarting a new game, I only had AOS and Alternate Start installed, but still no sounds from AOS2. I then ran TES5Edit, and once again no warnings or problems of any kind.

Here's something to try and isolate where the problem is happening:

Because many of the sound files AOS provides are replacements for "vanilla" sounds, they will still play even if the AOS.esp plugin is disabled.

If you want to test this, to completely disable the AOS plugin, you should:

1. double-click on the AOS mod in MO's priority list (left-hand pane) to open its mod info window
  2. click on the Optional ESPs tab
  3. click on AOS.esp and then click the UP arrow to move it into the Optional ESPs list. There should be no plugins in the available ESPs list at all.
  4. Close the information window and run Skyrim
  5. Try shooting with the bow because that is definitely one of the vanilla replacement sounds that AOS provides.

If you're hearing a sound, then the next step is to disable the whole AOS mod and then listening for whether the sound is different (which would confirm that the AOS sound files were replacing vanilla sounds in Mod Organizers virtual file system. If yes, then the problem has something to do with plugins. If no, then it's likely the sound files.

Of course the only esps loaded were the bare minimum, no AOS patch esps were needed and no other mods installed, other than the Unofficial patches.

Looking at them in TES5Edit there are no problems with conflict that would remove the sounds, there are however a few issues with conflict with the Unofficial patches that might need looking into.

I just wanted to note here that as I am working with LoRd KoRn to update all patches for AOS, I can confirm that any relevant USKP fixes that have been added since AOS' last release in May will be incorporated in the upcoming AOS update.