Time of day does something awful between 7 p.m.-7 a.m.

Noobsayer

Question

So I've been tweaking an ENB for personal use, using Serenity 11.2 as a base. While I have a long way to go, early results had me pretty pleased. Now admittedly me tweaking an ENB involves a lot of "what does THIS value do?? :D " but everything goes horribly horrible at 7 p.m.-7 a.m. in game all of a sudden, and I do NOT know what I've done.

Here's a sampling of what I mean. Worth noting, if I turn off time of day during the um ... time of day it looks normal, then I get the ugly blurriness THEN too.

Everything gets blown out and ugly and there's a white oblong ... thing in the middle of my screen -- you can even see it faintly on the loading screen. Halp? :( I looked through all the values I'd tinkered with and nothing seemed too out of whack at night.

10 answers to this question

I assume you have done the usual.. disable individual effects to rule out any of those? As well as doing it only on an unmodded skyrim to rule out those culprints. 

Ofc. also make sure to check if it is only one specific weather (prod have them all in individual files).. or a general problem. 

If it is a general problem then it is most likely related to the general shader changes you have made... in which case you need to find if it is a bloom problem, or an enbeffect.fx problem... or effect.txt. 

Also finally did you alter the Time of day settings? The default in prods file is more or less set to its current values for a reason.. that is not only aesthetic. 

Oh well once you have verified and tested the above I can try to help some more.. but need a bit more to go on, since it could be quite a few things... perhaps you get lucky and prod see this and will know instantly what cause it... he knows his shaders better then I do these days anyways! :) 

Thanks Aiyen! To follow up. I've been chatting with prod anyways and I'm linking him here, but so I don't repeat both places:

1) Not a specific weather. Has happened like clockwork over several of them in several locations, both foggy and snowy etc. I scribbled a few down: 

0x00C821E

0x000C8211

0x00000000

2) I tried toggling what I remembered touching, but if the problem persists I'll go through it again. EDIT: I had NOT been using Lens, Adaptation or Sunglare but turning them on didn't fix it, either.

3) I thought of bloom too. Turning it off completely helps slightly but does not fix it. 

4) Did not touch Time of Day. I doublechecked with an unaltered Serenity and it matches, so I didn't do it accidentally, either. :)

Edited by Noobsayer

Make sure to verify if it is something that only happens with snowy and foggy.. then they are still in the same "group" of weathers. If it does not happen with a clear weather or a cloudy one then it is weather and effect specific to those. 

Ofc. also try to disable mist and see if it is that! ;) 

Try to run through 10a230 and up.. so 10a231 ... etc Then you get through every type other then snowy. 

Looks to me like conflict between ToD values (ie. ToD values are off, disabled (so ENB use internal ToD approximation), or enbhelper.dll is missing in enbseries folder) and Vignette values or tonemapping.

If you for instance set tonemapping/levels in a way where you bleach out the screen with a foggy overlay and add vignette on top of that you end up with a white-ish odd spot in the middle of your screen.

For tweaking purposes you should set Vignette values to 0 in Day, Night and Interior so it doesn't throw off tonemapping and other effects. Then if you like vignette you add this when everything in your screen looks as you want it.

As for the screenshot of the loads screen - you can clearly see vignette in that. This isn't something that can be fixed either because most ENB effects are disabled during load screens so it will look a bit odd always.

PS. Serenity doesn't use weather id's anymore. Instead I hooked certain values to the image space settings so to control saturation based on tinting values and so on.

Edited by prod80
  • +1 1