Amd catalyst 14.12 omega causes flickering water and fire, and purple mist on loading screen.

damipereira

Question

Hi, when I first installed skyrim in my newly formatted windows 8.1 with catalyst 14.12 there were flickering water (specially rivers) and fires, also a purple mist on loading screens.

Standing in dragonsreach watching to the fire and waterfalls was a complete flicker party. This probably happens with 4xxx-7xxx cards, but I'm not sure. I have this specs:

Amd hd6770 1gb GDDR5

Athlon 2 x3 3.3Ghz

4Gb ram ddr3

500gb western digital blue hdd

Just wanted to let know anyone with this problem that is completely solved by downgrading to windows update provided driver, just uninstall with DDU, re-enable automatic driver downloads and let windows do it's own thing. It might even have reduced z fighting, but with all the flickering before it is hard to tell.

I also have a few questions about the step guide, mostly about joining texture packs and missing mods from the list, should I post under general?

EDIT: The installed version right now as of 12/13/2014 is the catalyst driver packaging version:14.9 13.251.9001.1001-140704a-173665E-ATI, this is working correctly, while catalyst 14.12 is not.

Edited by damipereira

8 answers to this question

It would most likely help if you posted the actual catalyst version numbers rather then "use the windows update version" since A: it will change over time. B: one should never use any driver that windows updates tells you, always get the drivers directly from the manufacturer! 

As for your general questions, then yes posting them in the general support thread is fine! 

Yes, good idea, I just edted the version.

I've always had good experience with windows update drivers, as if they were more tested than latest amd site drivers, maybe I'm just crazy, and downloading 14.9/10/11 drivers manually from the website could also be a better idea.

Edited by damipereira