Game starts but no main menu

Majorshepard

Question

I recently been following this guide after a recommendation from someone on Nexus forums, as when I used NMM it messed up my game to either crash randomly or make me have to reinstall UI mods as they collided with each other.

I am having a problem where the game will start up and go through the intro splash screens but as soon as I get to the Main Menu nothing comes up other than the background. No New Game, Settings, Credits etc. My mouse cursor doesn't appear also. I can't even quit the game without starting task manager then switching users and logging back in as my mouse would be stuck in New Vegas.

I thought it was because of the UI mods so I started all over again and tried it before I installed any UI mods but it still happened. Did I miss something? A vital step? Or is one of the mods broken?

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you followed the guide, you should have installed NMC's texture pack. When you do that, you should get a splash screen of a Ranger with his pistil out and the screen should say on it somewhere 'With NMC's Texture pack' or Similar. Do you see that screen or the generic menu screen?

If the UI isn't showing up for the intro then it's probably DarnUI. Try reinstalling that mod, then reinstalling OneHUD and UIO again after. See if that helps.

EDIT: And make sure the DarnUI INI edit was done with the INI Editor in MO, not with the default ones in the FNV folder.

Reinstalled DarnUI, even downloaded the file again. Reinstalled OneHUD without problems. But then had a small problem with UIO as for some reason it said it couldn't reinstall with an old version of MO, or something similar. So I had to uninstall/remove the mod and download the mod again. However that had a problem too as it said it was already installed. This was easily fixed though by exiting MO and starting it again.

Re-pasted the INI tweak for DarnUI over the old one, using MO Ini editor like before, and the main menu still comes up blank.

You said in the OP that you used NMM and it messed up your game. Did you leave anything behind in your FNV folder when you stopped using NMM? There could be some legacy files in there.

Other than that, make sure you have the that Legacy Script Support mod listed right after Mod Organizer in the guide. It is needed to install some of the UI mods. Maybe that is the problem.

I did the part in the guide to delete all files except the vanilla esm and bsa files. Would that have cleared it or would they stay behind somehow?

I downloaded the legacy file again and I overwrite the original one I put there, just in case. Would I have to do the UI's again after doing that?

Well, you may want to install PN, PN-EO, MCM, and Flashlight NVSE again. Move DarnUI up in front of those mods then reinstall the mods by right clicking on them and selecting Reinstall Mod. It will just bring the installer right back up. After you're done, move DarnUI back to the correct position and see if that works. The UI section is a pain in the ass. It's always been that way regardless of using UIO or uHUD. Once you get that part figured out, it's smooth sailing.

You may even try sorting with LOOT after you reinstall the mods before starting the game to see if it may have just been a load order problem.

Just thought I let you know as well but Advanced Recon thermal Nightvision has been updated to 3.3.1 and it doesn't have the installer any more, as it says just to use UIO. And I'm guessing the Project Nevada patch in the optional section is needed too? I also found that "Detect Traps - DLC.esp" is in a separate download in Optional, and I don't think I had that last time so I got it now.

But anyway the game still didn't load up the menu. It did let me use my mouse on desktop though, where before I had to log out then back in to get it. So at least SOMETHING is fixed :P

Btw I merged files that came up with the pop up window for "Merge", "Replace" etc. All the Plugins are ticked. If it helps here is the Plugin List.

FalloutNV 

The New Bison Steve Hotel

Someguyseries

Tales From the Burning Sands

DeadMoney

HonestHearts

OldWorldBlues

LonsomeRoad

GunRunnersArsenal

ClassicPack

MercenaryPack

TribalPack

CaravanPack

YUP - Base Game + All DLC

Afterschool Special

Sortomatic

Detect traps

Advanced Recon Tech

Ambient Temperature

JIP Selective-Fire

InventoryAccess

Project Nevada - Core

Project Nevada - equipment

Project Nevada - Extra Options

Project Nevada - Cyberware

Project Nevada - Rebalance

oHUD

NewVegasUncutSeries

SandBox6 Mods Merged

NewVegasBounties

NewVegasBountiesII

YUP -NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC)

DarNifiedUINV

Advanced Recon Tech Detect Trap Detection

Detect traps Merged

Advanced Recon Range Finder

Advanced Recon Gear

Advanced Recon Tech

FPSWeaponWheel

JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating

JIP Companions Command & control

Ambient Temperature - PPA

Jump Fall Fixer

Powered Power Armor

Project Nevada - All DLC

Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions

Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete

The Mod Configuration Menu

The Weapon Mod Menu

What do the bold sections mean? The ones I made bold are the ones bold in the plugin list.

Edited by Majorshepard

Just thought I let you know as well but Advanced Recon thermal Nightvision has been updated to 3.3.1 and it doesn't have the installer any more, as it says just to use UIO. And I'm guessing the Project Nevada patch in the optional section is needed too? I also found that "Detect Traps - DLC.esp" is in a separate download in Optional, and I don't think I had that last time so I got it now.

But anyway the game still didn't load up the menu. It did let me use my mouse on desktop though, where before I had to log out then back in to get it. So at least SOMETHING is fixed :P

Btw I merged files that came up with the pop up window for "Merge", "Replace" etc. All the Plugins are ticked. If it helps here is the Plugin List.

FalloutNV 

The New Bison Steve Hotel

Someguyseries

Tales From the Burning Sands

DeadMoney

HonestHearts

OldWorldBlues

LonsomeRoad

GunRunnersArsenal

ClassicPack

MercenaryPack

TribalPack

CaravanPack

YUP - Base Game + All DLC

Afterschool Special

Sortomatic

Detect traps

Advanced Recon Tech

Ambient Temperature

JIP Selective-Fire

InventoryAccess

Project Nevada - Core

Project Nevada - equipment

Project Nevada - Extra Options

Project Nevada - Cyberware

Project Nevada - Rebalance

oHUD

NewVegasUncutSeries

SandBox6 Mods Merged

NewVegasBounties

NewVegasBountiesII

YUP -NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC)

DarNifiedUINV

Advanced Recon Tech Detect Trap Detection

Detect traps Merged

Advanced Recon Range Finder

Advanced Recon Gear

Advanced Recon Tech

FPSWeaponWheel

JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating

JIP Companions Command & control

Ambient Temperature - PPA

Jump Fall Fixer

Powered Power Armor

Project Nevada - All DLC

Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions

Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete

The Mod Configuration Menu

The Weapon Mod Menu

What do the bold sections mean? The ones I made bold are the ones bold in the plugin list.

Bold ones are the ESMs or False flagged ESMs. Thay are supposed to load first where as ESPs load after.

Maybe try deactivating all your mods. You can deactivate and reactive every mod by right clicking a mod in the left pane and go to disable all visible. Try and start the game and see if the menu comes up. If it does then I'm afraid your only recourse would be to stat the UI section over. If it doesn't appear then there is something else going on and it isn't from a bad mod installation.