STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures (by z929669)

z929669

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Including the log in the download is an issue though, because that means you have to download the whole thing (either 1.7 gb or 2.9 gb) first before you can even see to what level the textures are optimized.  It would help to have some sort of general idea as to what DDSOpt criteria was used for each bundle to see which one to download.  Of course, less general than "Performance" or "Standard".  Going through a log to see the conversion of each texture is too much detail.  The way it is, it's difficult for anyone to understand what each archive actually is.  Each archive says it's "standard and hi-res" - how can both archives be both standard and hi-res?

If you are familiar with our DDSopt Guide, then you know that 'standard' = base vanilla and 'hi-res' = HRDLC vanilla. I also follow the main points that are outlined in our guide, so that is basically the description of optimization.

I do know what you mean, but I just don't have time to go into all that detail in the description and maintain it all. Just test if you want and post back if you see any errors or issues. Once I determine what Tony671 did and how it may differ from what I did, I will possibly ask him to use some of the techniques I employed in an updated version of his mod.

I mainly want to verify that these versions work fine and look good first.

OK - didn't know that's what you meant by standard and hi-res.  I've used the DDSOpt guide a lot before (not much recently though).  Although I did recently check that guide out again briefly and noticed that the format is very different than how it was before.  I was actually confused with how it is now, versus how it was before.  Only because it seemed like it is still in a transition stage and some of the references mentioned must have been remnants from the way it was previously and they no longer make sense or matched up properly.

Perhaps I'll check out the files later.  The main reason I'd want to check them out is because the DDSOpt.ini seems to have changed a little since previously when I DDSOpted all of the vanilla files.  I'm worried that errors had been recognized since I DDSOpted those files with the older .ini and that some of the files I processed are messed up.  I think some of the "DiffuseColor" section changed... and character texture section... and I don't really know what effect the previous .ini I used did versus what the current one does.

• 1 month later...

...\textures\dbdoor01.dds is now provided the latest mod accepted to STEP.

For these type of issues, I'm going to suggest that we have the STEP optimized textures go right after the UHRP in 2.D Fixes. Or first in 2.G Conflicting Graphics. Also, should make a plugin to load it for people that aren't using MO. That's just mean. You can just make a dummy plugin with TES5Edit and then rename it to the exact name of the BSA.

I agree that after the UPs is the best place because sometimes the fixes mods also include textures. That were I have mine placed already. I would also suggest only updating the optimized textures every two to three releases to account for new mods added, else the maintenance would be a bit much just for a few textures.

Yeah, that sounds right, but updating the whole package if STEP releases take a long time is no problem. One thing I worry about is the UPs finding some textures with errors that we didn't know about and whose get added in front of our BSA. We can't hide files in the BSA, so we would need to issue hotfixes of the UP files.

I don't see any reason why this mod shouldn't be accepted. If we can't accept our own mods, then what good are we?

I for one haven't tested it yet... still using my own optimized textures. Can't imagine that mine are any better, however.

Gotta save space on the SSD. Using the STEP version is great for that.

I say lets replace Vano's mod with this. We could even put it in the same spot. I have the same amount of conflicts with it if I put it first in Conflicting Graphics or right after UHRP. As long as it's before the first Extended mod that has textures it doesn't actually matter. For STEP Core it really doesn't matter since it only conflicts with the Dark Brotherhood door mod we just accepted.

I agree with the hotfixes. Uploading those files was a PITA, and downloading is as well, I'm sure. We can add a plugin loader with any hotfixes.

Also, no need to even use TESEdit to make the dummy ... just rename a copy of Mopy\templates\Skyrim\Blank, Skyrim.esp

... also agree on placement in list order.