STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures (by z929669)

z929669

(bump)

I was also under the impression that loose files overwrite bsa files no matter where they are in the left pane window in MO. Is that not correct?

EDIT: please read previous post on last page.

Edited by Vulgar1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get this right..

With the STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures the STD, DH, DG, DB, and Hi-Res DLC I manually optimized when following past versions of STEP are no longer necessary and may be removed from my mods list?

Yes - I believe that is a true statement.  I removed them from mine.

I don't think BSAs work like they used to with MO.  I think stuff gets loaded in order of "Priority" designation (where it is in your list) regardless of whether or not it is archived in a BSA.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I was scratching my head when I saw this mod.

I'd like to know if this mod compliments Tony's mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57353/?

If it does, where would STEP's version go? Top of the list over Tony's Optimized Vanilla Textures in the left pane?

Do I also have to have the Hi-Res DLC to run this? I don't want the DLC as it slows down the game tremendously. So I also skipped the other HRDLC mods in the STEP Core guide.

Thank you guys.

Edit: Reading throughout the thread, I saw one suggestion to put this file after the UP files. Now I just need to know the answer to 1 and 3. Tony's textures were fine to me, so I wonder why we have our own too, I mean STEP has its own :)

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Mine actually covers all of the textures that don't make the CK freak out (currently). The next version doesn't have to worry about the CK or it's weirdness. But I do trust your optimization skills over mine. My mod's claim to fame is the plugin-less installation method for NMM users. I'd gladly rebase on your recommendations.

No worries. Ours is actually STEP specific and excludes any conflicts in a STEP install. So your version will still be needed and very helpful to anyone not using a full and complete STEP installation.

I only use a 1k upper-limit cap (Performance version only) and did not reduce anything under that ... only compression and mip-map opt. There is no major decrease in VRAM with my versions either. The Standard version actually does not reduce VRAM at all in many situations in-game. It's more about optimization for quality (mip-maps) as much as performance (resolution caps and reduced uncompressed formats [R5G6B5/A4R4G4B4] wherever possible).

Hope that answers your question.

You did, thanks phazer11.

Ok I need to know if this was a good idea. Below are the texture packs I'm running in MO's left pane order:

Tony's Optimized Textures

Bethesda Performance Textures (both Armor and weapons/ Animals and Creatures packs)

STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures - Performance Version

I'm hoping to get the best performance with of all these in, STEP being on top as I know you guys pick the best for everyone. So please let me know if this is how I can do it.

Ok I tried each one at a time. and when I added the STEP version, my game saw some FPS drops. Not as smooth as having the other 2 in. Sorry guys, it's not me, it's my VRAM :)

Edited by FuzzRocket9

• 3 weeks later...

You did, thanks phazer11.

Ok I need to know if this was a good idea. Below are the texture packs I'm running in MO's left pane order:

Tony's Optimized Textures

Bethesda Performance Textures (both Armor and weapons/ Animals and Creatures packs)

STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures - Performance Version

I'm hoping to get the best performance with of all these in, STEP being on top as I know you guys pick the best for everyone. So please let me know if this is how I can do it.

Ok I tried each one at a time. and when I added the STEP version, my game saw some FPS drops. Not as smooth as having the other 2 in. Sorry guys, it's not me, it's my VRAM :)

You should have the STEP mod loaded before (higher up in MO order than) BPT if you want to use BPT.

STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures is like an automated semi-generic clean-up of the vanilla textures while the author of BPT has gone through texture-by-texture and resized, applied some Photoshop magic and optimized each of them approprietly, by hand, with the focus to save VRAM. So if you want those changes you need to load BPT *after* the STEP optimized textures.

STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures and Tony's Optimized Vanilla Textures should be pretty much identical except that Tony's include some files that are unnessesary (and will take up some storage space) if you use ALL STEP mods.

Edited by TorNyan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

None of the files in the 'STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures – PATCH-11-1-1.7z' exactly match files in 'STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures - Standard Varsion-11-1-1.7z'.

Shouldn't the patch files be in the version 1.1 files?

edit: removed performance

Edited by ThumperZ

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

When using the Standard version of the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures, I notice in MO, in the Archives tab, the BSAs are listed in this order:

STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures - Standard Version

- STEP_Vanilla_Optimized_Textures_S2.bsa

- STEP_Vanilla_Optimized_Textures_S1.bsa

Is this standard behavior to have S1 listed below S2? Do the order of the BSAs even matter, as long as the checkboxes are both ticked (with MO managing archives)?

Thanks for any help in relieving my ignorance! :-)

Edited by Nebulous112