New format of the MO wiki questions?

GrantSP

Question

With the new format of the MO wiki, removal of the tabbed toolbar TOC, there seems to be a strange behaviour with moving through the document.

The main link to the document is:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

and linking to any chapter is something like:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#About_Mod_Organizer

where any chapter is simply linked with a #<chapter name>

Whereas following some links in the text provide links in this format:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer_TOC_Functionality#Priorities

Here the main document is shown as Mod_Organizer_TOC_Functionality and not Mod_Organizer

Looking through the text it looks like some (most) of the links are using that second link format, perhaps as a legacy from the tabbed contents?

Should that all be changed to just use in document chapter links such as the first link format?

Also have any of the secondary page links been orphaned by this removal? I haven't done any checks thoroughly but I seem to remember some more detail for some sections that are not shown now. Or I may just be imagining it based on the way the tabbed text appeared as a seperate page though still being a chapter in the same document.

8 answers to this question

All functionality is there, and the links should look like:

Guide:Mod_Organizer#Chapter_Name

The longer name is a relic from the mock-up version. Since I moved the page leaving a redirect (see the top of the page when you follow that third link you posted), all links should work correctly; however, it is best to change all ...

Guide:Mod_Organizer_TOC_Functionality

to ...

Guide:Mod_Organizer

Feel free to do so if you want, but I will take care of it tomorrow if you don't. Actually, I will take care of the internal links, as I have some time now and can use a global replacement tool

Thanks for pointing this out ... and feel free to check for any "#tab=" without the quotes. The old tab names may or may not be applicable, so you can deduce the correct chapter in the new guide and replace ...

#tab=Chapter

with ...

#Chapter

Just be careful if you change anything so that all internal links remain functional ;) (changes can be reverted, but it could be confusing in the interim if anything gets mucked up)

All fixed ... left to do:

Look for instances of the word "tab" in the context of a chapter 'tab' (and not a MO GUI tab, which is correct). These should be replaced with the word 'chapter' or 'section' as appropriate. Feel free to take care of this piece, as that takes a bit more time than I have ATM.

Very good. Will do.

EDIT:

Do 4th level headings not automatically get added to the contents?

I'm trying to link some of the existing links that should go to text under a 4th level heading and I can't figure it out.

The one I'm on is the "Bain Install". It is formatted as 4th level but it doesn't show in the TOC and the link in the "Features" section at the top of the page just creates a new tab in the browser with the complete document again.

There are a few links like that I am looking at but if I knew the best way to link them it would be easier.

According to the wiki help, 4th level should be in the contents but I can't see what is different with our code to stop this.

Edited by GrantSP

Ok, thanks. I'm still looking for a way to link to 4th level headings even though they aren't in the TOC. Not a big priority, I'll keep fiddling with it.

Another question, the associated videos that used to be just an icon to the right of the chapter headings are now a second line beneath the chapter. In my opinion this looks out of place. Is it fine to revert the format to have just the icon/link beside the existing chapter?

One more question. Some images are now in a thumbnail size with a slideshow view when clicked, while others are still the original size. Am I ok to revert some that I think should be original size? 

Edited by GrantSP

Ok, thanks. I'm still looking for a way to link to 4th level headings even though they aren't in the TOC. Not a big priority, I'll keep fiddling with it.

Another question, the associated videos that used to be just an icon to the right of the chapter headings are now a second line beneath the chapter. In my opinion this looks out of place. Is it fine to revert the format to have just the icon/link beside the existing chapter?

One more question. Some images are now in a thumbnail size with a slideshow view when clicked, while others are still the original size. Am I ok to revert some that I think should be original size? 

I resized/altered images to better suit the flow of text and other elements. What you see is what I thought was the best compromise for display of text and surrounding graphic elements.

Feel free to devise a better result if you can find one (note use of {{clear}} and positions of [[file:/Image:]] wiki code/syntax). Also keep in mind that browser window size will vary by user, and that whatever you derive will need to look 'good' at various browser resolutions.