Unique HD Weapon Textures

mightyusaid

Welcome to the forum Klotim! If you'd like a shiny Mod Author nameplate, send me a message on Nexus to confirm it's really you.

I haven't looked at your mod in detail, but I wanted to add a quick comment regarding the seemingly harsh feedback this forum is full of.  Try not to take the critiques with offense, however hard that may seem as we tear apart the project I'm sure you've spent many hours on.  We're all here to dissect mods and assemble them into the best compilation we can.  With this goal in mind, it becomes necessary to pick apart every aspect of a mod and examine it with a fine-toothed comb.  If you'd like an example, check out the two Beta threads in the Mod Testing forum.  What I believed to be a well-put-together set of mods amassed several hundred posts picking it apart in a matter of days.  But that's part of the game and I bet you'll find few communities that can offer the amount of critical feedback we do (without being banned for saying so).  Leverage this to your advantage, and your mod can only end up better.  Also, be aware that not everyone is entirely fluent in English and that text can't often convey the entire meaning to a thought, so it's best to carry a few grains of salt with you.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum Klotim! If you'd like a shiny Mod Author nameplate, send me a message on Nexus to confirm it's really you.

I haven't looked at your mod in detail, but I wanted to add a quick comment regarding the seemingly harsh feedback this forum is full of.  Try not to take the critiques with offense, however hard that may seem as we tear apart the project I'm sure you've spent many hours on.  We're all here to dissect mods and assemble them into the best compilation we can.  With this goal in mind, it becomes necessary to pick apart every aspect of a mod and examine it with a fine-toothed comb.  If you'd like an example, check out the two Beta threads in the Mod Testing forum.  What I believed to be a well-put-together set of mods amassed several hundred posts picking it apart in a matter of days.  But that's part of the game and I bet you'll find few communities that can offer the amount of critical feedback we do (without being banned for saying so).  Leverage this to your advantage, and your mod can only end up better.  Also, be aware that not everyone is entirely fluent in English and that text can't often convey the entire meaning to a thought, so it's best to carry a few grains of salt with you.

Sent you a message :)

hi klotim...and wellcome... since i've been author of some of the harsh (maybe the worst )comments you was talking about...i think some explanations are due:

1st what is really important in mods and game design is quality+optimization to get both results there are some methods... and you can look in the sky or in the hell... but methods do not change . best possible quality is what you get when you put a nice 50% grey layer above vanilla texture and start to re-do it...period.

there is simply no tweaks or macumba that is able to enhance an already compressed texture .why? because bethesda designer works with a uncompressed psd and when the work IS DONE he reduce it in dds....this means that what you got in game is a reduced file... with an enormous quality loss...if you open this file ,work on it and recompress... you only get a 2times compressed thing...with 2 time quality loss. it's easy and sadly it is so.

nobody invents or create a way of texturing... texturing is re-do from scratch... all the rest is a waste of time and resources.

2nd ....harsh critic is EXACTLY what a modder needs to make better things.... compliments and ******** never helped anyone.... just convince him to stop on the 2 things he knows.

feed yoursel with harsh critic... and try to improve your work.

you did an impressive amount of work? maybe... but results? it was not better to do few sets with a 100% enhancement then doing anything with imho no enhancement? nobody will take care of how many hours of work you will spend on a thing... anyone will only look at results in game.

photos overlay are good for noobs on nexus... to get an endorsment (how much i hate this word). but as artist for you they have no use... at all..

listen well to ppl more experienced than you... because they are just helping your work , making you skip many and i mean many steps that they experienced yet. do not ever consider yourself "arrived" somewhere...even when you'll be good enough.

all that said...i repeat you.... i (and many others) are at your humble service for advices tips and help.... you just have to ask what you need because nobody will prepare the breakfast for you.

best regards...again

• 3 months later...

OK, so here's a quick comparison of the latest version of UHDW (v5) and vanilla Skyrim (using the HD texture DLC).

Vanilla HD is on the left, UHDW is on the right.

Iron:

Posted Image Posted Image § Posted Image Posted Image § Posted Image Posted Image § Posted Image Posted Image

Forum only let's me post 10 images at a time, sorry.

Elven:

Posted Image Posted Image § Posted Image Posted Image § Posted Image Posted Image § Posted Image Posted Image

No offense, but I actually prefer the vanilla textures here. There is too much "crackle" (to make them look worn?) on the metal and I prefer the wood looking handles over your rendition. I can't tell what the handle are made of from this texture.

These is just my interpretations and it doesn't fit into the lore of Skyrim but... any book I've ever read or movie I've ever seen influences my thoughts here. I don't see elven weapons as things that deteriorate and ware with use. All I've ever read and seen of elven weaponry is items of the highest quality which never ware and are of exquisite beauty. This is also why I have personal mods to make the elven race much more refined and beautiful in-game.