True Wolves Of Skyrim (by KrittaKitty and ShimoOkami)

WilliamImm

Well testing this mod is a right pain in the ass haha

There are 3 steps in the installer, each containing 3 options as shown in brackets:

1. Black wolf colour options (Standard Black, Dark Timber and Grey);
  2. Ice wolf colour options (Darker White, Grey and Pure White); and
  3. Red wolf colour options (Brown, Red, Timber).

I have absolutely no idea how to spawn a red wolf.

If anyone can tell me how, I'll be happy to update the comparison shots. My feeling is they are from another mod.

I just spawned a standard Wolf and an Ice Wolf using "player.placeatme 23abe/23abf"

Vanilla/Current STEP/True Wolves Meshes Only

2015-02-24_00017_zpsicaajbyc.jpg2015-02-24_00021_zps6r2hnws4.jpg2015-02-24_00018_zpsna1tmfgc.jpg

True Wolves. ALL installer option 1, option 2, option 3.

2015-02-24_00022_zpsnnrrblvm.jpg2015-02-24_00024_zpsub5keylk.jpg2015-02-24_00025_zpswlaosofo.jpg

Conclusions:

Update 3/3/15: I no longer like this mod. Although fatter wolves are definitely more realistic, these just don't look great. I'm especially put off by the way the new mesh interferes with the vanilla neck hair.

The colours also aren't great, I much prefer the look of current STEP.

[spoiler=Prior conclusions]I think the meshes are great. As the author says, there is a LOT of game around, so Skyrim wolves would be well fed, as opposed to the skinny, mangy, ugly vanilla wolves. Only problem is the 4 lines of hair sticking up on the neck. It looks like part of the old mesh or something, I don't really know what's going on there, it may even be something I've done wrong (though I doubt it, this is a very easy mod to install and manipulate).

The darker white and black options look silly, to me, but I have never seen a real wolf.

The pure white still looks quite dirty, and is my pick for Ice Wolves.

The Grey option for "Black" wolves is not that different from what we currently have, but seems to have more variations in the coat, eg almost black along the top, lighter towards the belly with brownish patches. This is my pick for "Black" Wolves.

This is now a permanent inclusion in my game, despite the weird sideways mohawks.

Edited by Xaviien

Only problem is the 4 lines of hair sticking up on the neck. It looks like part of the old mesh or something,

https://postimg.org/image/wz2uc62d9/

I suppose you mean the stuff that I have in green and yellow in this screenshot, if so as you can see it's part of the Bethesda mesh as well, it just clips through the body mesh in a bit more odd manner in their mesh.

That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for the answer.

I think it would look better with those parts, as well as the raggedy, fluffy look of the vanilla versions sticking out more, but with the colours and shapes added by True Wolves.

If I had ANY experience with this type of thing, I would be tempted to ask KrittaKitty and ShimoOkami for permission to "fix" this mod. I don't though, so I won't.

Don't worry about fixing the meshes yet or how the textures look with them - the author is very close (apparently) to releasing a new version with an overhaul on all that.  You might want to wait for that before making a decision.

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 1

From the compares, I think I prefer current STEP atm. The face/jaw does not appear to have increased in size proportionately to the neck. The smaller wolf has bigger, almost skeeverish ears. The fur, especially on the smaller one, has better detail, but the taller one appears to somehow have lost some of its contrasting colors. And the fur on the neck looks out-of-place sticking up on the taller one, and it seems much shorter on the underbelly (this wolf has been sitting far too much!). Not sold on the textures.

That said, I'll want to check these out in-game.

I am not sure what's wrong, but no matter what I select for the first option (black wolf), they look the same ingame - very dark ash-like grey with a bit of brown in it.

---

Right, the brown wolf works, but if I choose the grey one on the first page, it looks the same as if I chose black. I see correct files are installed though, so I have absolutely no idea where is it pulling the texture from :O_o:

Edited by Octopuss

I used the Skyrim Immersive Creatures option, so I don't know... but so far the wolves have gotten the correct textures in my setup - I haven't come across or actually tried to spawn all of the variants to see them.  I guess I figured that if I notice an issue with something later on, it'll be easy enough to fix the issue without having to start a new game with this sort of mod.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I even created a new save with just the unofficial patches and this mod, and the damn wolf still looks the same if I choose grey option. There are no additional files anywhere, and the installer is not wrong.

The brown wolf (the middle option) works fine.

hkuz0kkzoa43znf6g.jpg

But the grey wolf shows up like this:

x0ddqbiahpecscl6g.jpg

...the same as the black one.

Edited by Octopuss

I have absolutely no idea what's going on. I even created a new save with just the unofficial patches and this mod, and the damn wolf still looks the same if I choose grey option. There are no additional files anywhere, and the installer is not wrong.

The brown wolf (the middle option) works fine.

hkuz0kkzoa43znf6g.jpg

But the grey wolf shows up like this:

x0ddqbiahpecscl6g.jpg

...the same as the black one.

I don't think the texture is grey enough. Since it's actually supposed to be a black wolf, the author probably just made a black wolf with some grey on it. 

Well the thing is, the black wolf from option 1 looks identical ingame. I don't know what to think. Maybe it's something about the mesh? But I know nothing about how these things work, so I can only speculate.

One thing I immediatelly noticed was how the wolves look completely different than those from the screenshots in the installer. The brown wolf for example I've just noticed I mixed them up, the middle option for black wolf is actually "dark timber". Anyway the top picture I posted is supposed to look like this ingame

hb24ju8vfs6a26v6g.jpg

ENB is mentioned on several occasions, so I hope the mod is not supposed to be used by full ENB users only (I have almost all effects disabled and only use it for the parallax fix).

Edited by Octopuss