Combat Mods - General

Most of those issues will go away as soon as the next version of SKSE is released' date=' he is at the absolute limit of what can be done currently.  The next release will change the whole game with real event driven programming finally available.[/quote']

This sounds absolutely perfect!!! :D

Duel - Combat Realism seems to be getting the most support these days' date=' so I'm leaning towards using that.[/quote']

Yeah LogRaam is quite good at keeping things updated. Duel is what I had been using previously, so I think I'll stick with it and see about maybe adding some other things on top.

Alright, now on to step 2... magic overhauls.

Seen a few good ones out there people mentioned before:

Balanced 'Magic

Better Magic

Empowered Magic

The Revenge of Collette

Apocalypse Spell Package

etc.

It's no secret that magic in Skyrim needs a fair share of work, what have you guys been using?

Well, combat, magic and i'm guessing a dragon mod too. then you think, let's add some sneaking changes here, some missing recipes there ... and before you realize you modified 50% of the gameplay :D

You can try only the main module if you want,it contains ... quite a lot, but it's compatible with the combat mods :) .

I play a magic user and I use 4 different mods (Midas Magic, Mighty Magic, Apocalypse, Revenge of Colette) to get a more extensive set of spells and behaviors. I have noticed that it is harder in Skyrim for a magic user to be involved in melee combat than it was in Oblivion, and there are very few magic spells even in the 4 mods I use that help with this.

The biggest thing I'm looking for right now is damage/cost that scales with skill level. Empowered magic is looking pretty good as a vanilla overhaul and Apoc and Revenge of Collete look good as extra spells. Not by any means have tested these though, going by descriptions

Midas Magic was one of the most popular magic mods for Oblivion; it had had a set of quests that added a lot of Oblivion. In Skyrim it is just spells, but they are different than what the other magic mods add so it is typically compatible with other magic mods. I prefer Mighty Magic to Empowered Magic based on the authors goals and approach; both of these change the perks and are not compatible with each other. For example, I like the way Mighty Magic added Fortify spells, limits the ability to do Uber enchanting, has potions affect the cost but not magnitude of spells, and moves more spells to the Illusion category.

Skyrim Illusion spells IMO seem very limited compared with previous games, and I still haven't seen a magic mod that does enough to fix this although some of the mods have improved it somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...