STEP Extended: Randomly Timed CTDs on Game Start

vlog

Question

Skyrim: Legendary Edition (Russian) v. 1.9.32 + official HD Textures

Hardware: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Vlog/SystemSpecs

Used STEP Core: EXTENDED

Mod manager: Mod Organizer 1.2.14

LOOT: 0.6.1

Load order please see attached file: plugins.txt. Don't know, how to export from LOOT.

Hello dear comunity,

I've followed the guide and installed almost all of the STEP Extended mods on the clean Skyrim. One or two mods I didn't istalled, because they was deleted from the Nexus.

One thing I didn't get: Dual Sheath Redux Patch should be loaded before Bashed Patch or otherwise? Both was recreated after LOOT sorting.

Another thing is, that I've changed some INI values, using this guide, referenced from the STEP guide. INI files are attached too.

First launch of Skyrim on the end of the guide and... wow! It works! No performance problems, no broken textures to see. FPS 27 - 60, RAM usage avg. 67%.

The game starts, the player is on his way to helgen. But he will never reach the character creation place, because of CTD to a random time. Sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes more, but it happens always.

May it be Skyrim memory cap? Should I look for a mod to extend the cap? Please give me some ideas, where to start looking.

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

13 answers to this question

Thanks for your answers and sorry for the inconvenience. I've bought the game in Ukraine as I was in a vacation 2011. Installed it on my notebook. And it hasn't asked me for a steam account for some reason. Or I just not remember  :O_o:  Anyway, it works without steam. After some time I come back to this game and wanted to play modified version of it. Now I've registered the game with steam and the solution with -forcesteamloader really works. The SKSE takes my skse.ini configuration and 768 MB for allocated memory seems to work fine (skse logs are correct). But now it saves any MemoryBlocksLog.log files anymore. So I can't check the real allocated memory usage.

Thanks hishutup,

I've read the forum thread, you've mentioned and posted another question there. It seems, the problem is really in the allocated memory for the first block. And I have corresponding setting in the skse.ini. For some reason SKSE doesn't take the value from my ini-file.

I attached the skse.ini.

And the MemoryBlocksLog.log (txt format)

skse.ini

MemoryBlocksLog.txt

Edited by vlog

When it comes to piracy please do not mention it because is frowned upon, especially in the modding community.

I don't mind if people pirate as long as its for legitimate reasons, I am sure you have your own.

Piracy is NOT tolerated and I have not idea how its handled on this forum. I know nexus its ban worthy.

Piracy is not to be discussed here. If you're using a non-Steam version of the game you likely do not own it legitimately. Otherwise there would be no reason for you not to use it through Steam.

Get a licensed Steam copy of the game and if you're still having issues then we won't mind helping you.

I/we would rather not support non-Steam versions, due to the config differences from what (almost?) all of the modding community uses; however, as long as nobody is advocating or supporting pirated versions of the game on these forums, there is no reason that we need to worry about that.

It is interesting though when anybody configures a legit copy of their game to work in ways it was not intended to work ... isn't that a prelude to what 'modding' is all about?

As long as vlog's game is legit and perceived as such by his own words, then anybody that wants to help him out is welcome to do so here, but we just don't officially support non-standard game setups lest we open the floodgates.

Our position on post content as it relates to piracy is in the Citizenship Guide. It is not complicated.

EDIT: when the game first came out in 2011, there were a great many modders, including me, that were interested in running Skyrim without Steam. Early versions of the game did not require Steam, but we do not officially support Steam-less or other dated versions of Skyrim.