crash to desktop even when just have the base nine/elven mods

uiowebae

Question

well this is maybe a hard one, the game seems to crash just bit before/after the mist of the game start menu shows up, even when i just have the game the dlc and patches for said game and dlc , with and without alt start another live, however, it seems to load fine via normal luncher via mod organizer but i only tried that once. at this point im at lost. any help will be given thanks

Edited by uiowebae

If that's the case, what you should have done was check your data directory and deleted anything that wasn't a vanilla file. 

Should be the first thing you do if you've had other mods before. Start from complete vanilla again.

funny you say that, as it was easer to fix then just nukeing everything i just had to turn off the mod in th modlist not the plugin list

I'd get onto Steam and do the old 'Verify Integrity of  Game Cache'. That should replace any missing/dodgy/corrupt vanilla files.

Then try again. See how that goes first.

If it still comes a gutser, we'll likely need a load order.

The other thing, check your SKSE Install.

Edited by Nozzer66

I'd get onto Steam and do the old 'Verify Integrity of  Game Cache'. That should replace any missing/dodgy/corrupt vanilla files.

Then try again. See how that goes first.

If it still comes a gutser, we'll likely need a load order.

ill give good old steam a try again althought i dont think its load order issue as i have try it with out anything but the game the dlc and unofficial patches and one or two times with alt start another life and this heartfire patch

Edited by uiowebae

Could you clarify what this means?

Are you saying you don't CTD when you run it from MO but you do when it is the vanilla launcher?

when i run the vanilla launcher in mo i don't crash even with mods on (mods that need skse just give me the normal "i cant run!" error message or such) its only when i run skse in mo it crashes even if most if not all my mods are off, this has been tested with both just the bear bones and with out, and with the help of loot and going mod by mod.

Edited by uiowebae

when i run the vanilla launcher in mo i don't crash even with mods on (mods that need skse just give me the normal "i cant run!" error message or such) its only when i run skse in mo it crashes even if most if not all my mods are off, this has been tested with both just the bear bones and with out, and with the help of loot and going mod by mod.

Ok, then I would guess the issue relates to your SKSE installation.

Remember, SKSE CAN'T be installed with MO, only the scripts that come with it can. So if you tried to do that SKSE isn't installed.

I recommend using the archive version rather than the installer, that way you have control.

Open it with your archive manager (7Zip or some other) and extract:

skse_1_9_32.dll
skse_loader.exe
skse_steam_loader.dll

to the Skyrim folder, NOT the Data folder.

Using MO, install the archive as a mod with the manual option and set the 'Data' folder to the top level so the message at the bottom of the dialog says: Looks good.

Activate that mod and ensure the scripts are shown in the 'Data' tab on the right-hand pane as coming from the installed mod, not from 'data'. This makes sure the SKSE scripts are used.

Ok, then I would guess the issue relates to your SKSE installation.

Remember, SKSE CAN'T be installed with MO, only the scripts that come with it can. So if you tried to do that SKSE isn't installed.

I recommend using the archive version rather than the installer, that way you have control.

Open it with your archive manager (7Zip or some other) and extract:

skse_1_9_32.dll
skse_loader.exe
skse_steam_loader.dll

to the Skyrim folder, NOT the Data folder.

Using MO, install the archive as a mod with the manual option and set the 'Data' folder to the top level so the message at the bottom of the dialog says: Looks good.

Activate that mod and ensure the scripts are shown in the 'Data' tab on the right-hand pane as coming from the installed mod, not from 'data'. This makes sure the SKSE scripts are used.

well after reintalling skse again as per here/the step wiki like when i first installed it and .... no go, still crashes even when i just have the bear bones...

Your mod load order is the 'modlist.txt' inside the folder of your active profile.

ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\profiles\<profile name>\modlist.txt

This shows which mods you have as well as which are active or not.

The actual plugins (*.esp/m) active in that profile is 'plugins.txt' in the same folder.

As for your settings for SKSE as set in MO, you can either look at the dialog in the GUI itself or open 'ModOrganizer.ini' and paste the lines relating to [customexecutables]

In mine it looks like this:

[customExecutables]
size=15
1\binary=C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/skse_loader.exe
1\title=SKSE
1\arguments=
1\workingDirectory=
1\closeOnStart=true
1\steamAppID=
1\custom=true
1\toolbar=false

Here it shows the skse_loader.exe is in the same folder as the main Skyrim game executable. This is the setting that defines the run dropdown box in MO which should have SKSE as the top option.

thanks im on it, that said did they the mo dev team change how the load order worked sometime ago? as it seems skse works fine if its loaded at the bottom of the loadlist, ie from 0-9 it should at slot 9 not at 0 like it use to be or i should say i last chicked if so we may found the problem....