SMW questions and help

hishutup

Question

I created this template which is very much unfinished because I always wanted to give it a shot and I figured this may be a good time.

I don't know about you but this is very complex and my poor variable naming skills are really shining.

I want what you think. Is there a way to optimize some of the code. There are parts that can be broken off into other templates like the list thing. Now come to think of it, I think it should.

This should for any of the guides that are out there. If there is something specific that you want then I'll add it but right now my brain hurts because of this mess.

I'm not going to rip out code so that the template become more generic because I developed it for myself, I will add though. I can make another one if it desired

Soon to come:

My mod install procedure.

variable header tags.

• Answers 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Why add a number to each mod representing priority number when the mod list already sequentially lists the mods? It could be done as hishutup states, but I am not sure what use it is. Also, keep in mind that some of the STEP mods aren't actually installed through MO (e.g., utilities).

And if someone were to install a mod not in the guide list, then the number position would be juxtaposed for all after.

Just wondering what advantage this adds.

Why add a number to each mod representing priority number when the mod list already sequentially lists the mods? It could be done as hishutup states, but I am not sure what use it is. Also, keep in mind that some of the STEP mods aren't actually installed through MO (e.g., utilities).

It isn't explicitly stated that the order of the mods matches the order they should be in your modlist, adding a visual indicator might aid new users to see that the way they are, is how it should be. As to mods that don't match that need, don't include that variable.

And if someone were to install a mod not in the guide list, then the number position would be juxtaposed for all after.

As with all guides, any variance to what is presented places the onus on the user to order their mods, usually this would just mean slotting it in between two mods and adjusting the number mentally as you go.

Just wondering what advantage this adds.

I was wondering too, and simply asked if something like that is possible. I'm not out to change something that works, just curious.

Would something like that add detrimentally to the server CPU cycles?

Naw, it would not be any hit at all more than basically creating any other page, but maintenance would be an issue I think. I am pretty sure that adding a count token to mods within the mod list is not possible with our structure and that it would need to be a separate function of a mod list maintained outside of the current structure.

I defer to s4n on the semantics, but I recall tossing the idea around when we first started the project and running into a brick wall.

like a normal property by my understanding...

{{#ask:[[Concept:ModsInSTEP]]
|mainlabel=-
|?ModName
|?Section
|?Author
|?OrderID
|link=none
|format=template
|template=User:Z929669/CoreModOrderedListCustom
|sort=OrderID
|limit=1000
}}

if you want to ask only the Order ID from that property then

{{#ask: [[Concept:ModsInSTEP]]
|mainlabel=-
|?OrderID
|format=table
|sort=OrderID
}}

Am I missing something that you what to do with it?

The property has to be called if you want to sort by it. It wont show up if you leave it out of the template

Tried all that ... Edit that template if you want and try your queries. You will see what I mean.

I just cleaned it up a bit so that s4n could fillin the blanks ... but I suspect that a different kind of template call is needed, and I learn better by example (to this day, I still have a very hard time following his structure ModOrderItems and ModOrderSectionX  and ModOrderSectionXItems are real whoppers to figure out and trace)