SMW questions and help

hishutup

Question

I created this template which is very much unfinished because I always wanted to give it a shot and I figured this may be a good time.

I don't know about you but this is very complex and my poor variable naming skills are really shining.

I want what you think. Is there a way to optimize some of the code. There are parts that can be broken off into other templates like the list thing. Now come to think of it, I think it should.

This should for any of the guides that are out there. If there is something specific that you want then I'll add it but right now my brain hurts because of this mess.

I'm not going to rip out code so that the template become more generic because I developed it for myself, I will add though. I can make another one if it desired

Soon to come:

My mod install procedure.

variable header tags.

• Answers 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Could you stop using https://puu.sh for hosting images? That site is blacklisted by many anti-maleware services that provide hosts file. Many using a configured hosts file will never see your images. Use Dropbox, or any number of other 'safer' services for that. Doesn't Puush offer this domain name instead?

Really? I have not seen any listings and I have just started using that service also. Very quick and easy. It would be a shame to ditch it now.

What yellow and green text??? I have no clue as to the context.

Class# are templates because they are dependent upon the Form with same name, so actually calling then Form# would also have been confusing, so Class# is actually more generic and appropriate. Forms and associated Templates need not use the same nomenclature, but it is good practice to do so, because it provides a visual association.

I actually like the "Create a Class" tool, because it does create the Property pages and formats for you, which is much simpler than doing the same by navigation. It works nicely for setting up a basic SMW 'class' structure. What it does not do is format the Form nicely or give you other SMW structures that you may need, and you would still need to go in and edit everything to your liking ... good for initial creation if you know exactly what you want and it is simple.

If you go into edit any page on the wiki, it will link to any template pages used by that page (see bottom of the edit page). This way you can navigate to the pages that describe the elements of interest.

I completely forgot about that.

The funny thing is that I had remembered yesterday but then forgot again this morning.

I think this is a sign that I need more sleep.

Could you stop using https://puu.sh for hosting images? That site is blacklisted by many anti-maleware services that provide hosts file. Many using a configured hosts file will never see your images. Use Dropbox, or any number of other 'safer' services for that. Doesn't Puush offer this domain name instead?

This is the first time I have ever heard this but quite frankly, I am not going to stop using it, its incredibly useful.

Personal images use the puu.sh, accounts and the main site is puush.me

I will take a look though the options.

EDIT:

Really? I have not seen any listings and I have just started using that service also. Very quick and easy. It would be a shame to ditch it now.

Exactly, but sorry, I am not going to stop using it.

Also, please stop using your mobile for any serious posting. The typos and autocorrections are very obvious, and many of your posts are difficult to follow because of that. Alternatively, be very careful and dilligent when posting from your mobile ... no convenience posting please ... it is inconvenient for everyone else and should be addressed within our Citizenship guide ... grrr (will add NOW)

I am sorry but I am not on my mobile. I do try to read through the post after I post but sometimes I miss some stuff. Again, I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience that I may have caused you.

Overall, if you don't think that I am worth you time then don't waste it on me.

If you have a problem with me  and my habits then please pm me instead of posting about it like a new member making their first angry post.

If you are posting in a manner that is difficult to follow, I will call you and anybody on it in the open forums. It is instructive to others that might do the same. The key is: don't 'try' reading your own posts ... 'succeed' at it :thumbsup:

That said, I will be more careful about that if you do the same ;)

puu.sh is fine for you guys to use if you really like it, but it is blacklisted for a reason, and you should be aware that some users will never see your content unless they know how to fix it by editing their hosts file (if they even want to 'fix' it). I don't see how it is any more convenient than DropBox, Google Drive, Imgur or any number of alternatives though, but just an 'FYI' ...

... oh, and I think you are "worth the time", so that is why I spend much of my time responding to your posts and answering your questions when I understand them. You have a lot of drive and we need more like you, so please try not to let me offend you ;)

I don't know why puu.sh is black listed when sites like imgur.com aren't. All of these hosting services end up with malware on them trying to bait folks.

However, a valid reason not to use puu.sh is the time limit before files are removed (1 month if not accessed for free accounts). Dropbox or similar are much better for sharing images because they stand the test of time. There are no policies on removing files that haven't been accessed for X amount of time. All of the image sharing sites do this at varying degrees, and there is nothing more annoying than doing a search and coming across a page/forum/wiki that has images that no longer resolve.

"one month since last access"

Your search skills are obviously much better than mine. I have only just found that on their FAQ and only because I was specifically looking for it. Creating the account gave me no such information.

That changes everything. It is not going to serve as a useful repository for my images in the forum if the screenshots provided are not there.

Time for another re-think.

Question though, I can't get my Dropbox images to show as images on the forum page if I use the 'Image' link code. They only show as a placeholder that takes you to the Dropbox page from where you can see the image. While that still serves the purpose it is an unnecessary step.

How do you link them?

Apologies to @hishutup for hijacking this thread. My question though doesn't really warrant a new thread and it is in context.

I didn't know that either but I think any images should be uploaded to the wiki to prevent link rot but that is me.

I wouldn't use any of those either because they are too cluttered.

copy.com seems like a much better option but it isnt as quick...

GrantSP, its all good

Copy does not work, because it lacks file-type identifiers in its links. DropBox works fine ... just place your images into your 'Public' folder. Use the local application downloaded from their site via Windows Explorer context menu and copy link from that. Google Drive also works fine as Tech tells it.

Ill take a look at that inspector tool.

Ok... I want to change where the form creates the page.
I used the system specs as an example and even looked it up, so I must be missing something simple.
In the system specs you have this line

{{{info|add title=Create System Specs|edit title=Edit System Specs|[color=#ff0000]page name=User:<SystemSpecs[username]>/SystemSpecs[/color]}}}

I original modified this to look something like this
TES4:Mod/<OblivionTempMod[Title]>

In the documentation it says

'<template-name[field-name]>' - gets replaced with the value for the specified field field-name in the specified template template-name.

the template I am using is called "OblivionTempMod"
and the field that I want to call is the Title.

I modified the info tag to look like this.

{{{info|page name=TES4:Mod/<OblivionTempMod[Title]>}}}

Am I doing something wrong?

Here is the form

I know the template is slightly screwed up. I will fix that now...

Can I use that namespace because you have a lot of pages in the main area and I would hate to accidentally overwrite something important

Ah, thank you. I knew I was missing something small.

I created a button which probably isn't ideal but it works.

delete this page 

I think I have an idea of what I am going to do but for now, I am just trying different things.

Please excuse the lack of using the correct terminology

I made a page on the TES4:Mod and I want to use it to query all the mods and a select few properties.

I used a simple #ask, like such:

{{#ask: [[Category:TES4Mod]]
| ?OblivionModUrl
| ?OblivionAuthor
| ?OblivionColor
}}

to call for the Pages with the TES4Mod category which works but the specific other info isn't there but the mod is queried just fine.

I looked through the examples on the mediawiki and SMW site and I more/less tried to replicated it with my setup. 

I tried adding [[OblivionModUrl::{{{Link}}}]] to the template and the wiki didn't really like that because the SQL errors popped up...

I tried adding the code below to the form, template and various other places and I am just lost and I am probably doing something stupid :/

[[OblivionColor:{{{Color}}}]]
[[OblivionModTitle:{{{Title}}}]]
[[OblivionModUrl:{{{Link}}}]]

Is it something simple yet again?

What am I missing that is causing the query not to load the properties?

How do I make ALL of the subpages from TES4:Mod have an "Edit with Form" instead of only having edit page

One thing to note, TES4 is not a namespace, so you are really creating a page titled TES4:Mod with a bunch of subpages under it. That's not ideal. But given our lack of a proper environment and that you are putting forth the effort to learn SMW, I won't complain too much. However, your great efforts are going to make me think about how to handle cases like this sooner than I realize, and that is supporting other games with a viable and supportable structure.

Setting properties belongs in the template, not the form.  It's the forms job to get input from the user, and then pass it to a template to handle the data. I took a look at your template, and there isn't any code that is assigning values to those properties, which is why nothing is being returned in the query.

You're second example is also missing a colon. Setting SMW properties is always:

[[PROPERTY::VALUE]]