Profile automatic archive invalidation is unchecked and grayed out

garybenoak

Question

I downloaded MO the other day to learn my way around the program for Skyrim (I first downloaded v1.2.15, but just a few hours ago I downloaded v1.2.16 and the issue is still there). I've already modded with NMM many times in the past so while I may not know much, I'm not completely unfamiliar with modding. I've followed all of Gopher's tutorials and the tutorials that come with MO and everything has went well so far. I even installed a few different mods to see if they were working and they were!

But then I got to Profiles. I had heard that go to the Profiles section where you manage them, you need to have the box called "Automatic Archive Invalidation" enabled. I see both that box and the "Local Saves" box, but I can't tick archive invalidation since it's always grayed out (I can however tick Local Saves for what it's worth). Creating a new profile lets me tick that box ONLY if I select "Default Game Settings" when creating it. Nothing else will let me.

Let me add that I've tried this with mods enabled, no mods enabled, on a fresh install of Skyrim, with existing saves, with no existing saves, etc. I even uninstalled MO, deleted all traces of it, and reinstalled and still have the same problem.

I figured maybe this was intentional in some way? In the Workarounds section, the Backdate BSAs button says that it can be used instead of AI but does that mean I need to press it before I've installed mods, after I've installed them, after I've created a new profile, only one time, or what?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I can't find anywhere that says anything about this.

Here are my system specs even though I don't think they're necessary in this context: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Garybenoak/SystemSpecs

11 answers to this question

Welcome to the STEP forum.

Firstly the wiki says in the 'Initial Setup' section:

1. Turn on the Archive Invalidation method appropriate for your game:
    • If running any game that is not Skyrimclick the profile Profiles_MO.png button in the toolbar and check Automatic Archive InvalidationRepeat this for all new profiles you create.
    • If running Skyrimclick the wrench Wrench_MO.png button, go to the Workarounds tab, and click Back-date BSAs.

Therfore you don't need to check that if you are using Skyrim, as you state you are.

Secondly I cannot replicate this with any of my installations. All profiles, whether new or existing, allow me to check that option.

Could you check the installation to ensure nothing is out of place? Perhaps if you could provide the paths to MO, Steam and Skyrim in addition to you Windows environment.

Unless we can get this information it will be very hard to pinpoint what is happening and even if a bug report is made all this information will still be needed.

Welcome to the STEP forum.

Firstly the wiki says in the 'Initial Setup' section:

1. Turn on the Archive Invalidation method appropriate for your game:
    • If running any game that is not Skyrimclick the profile Profiles_MO.png button in the toolbar and check Automatic Archive InvalidationRepeat this for all new profiles you create.
    • If running Skyrimclick the wrench Wrench_MO.png button, go to the Workarounds tab, and click Back-date BSAs.

Therfore you don't need to check that if you are using Skyrim, as you state you are.

Secondly I cannot replicate this with any of my installations. All profiles, whether new or existing, allow me to check that option.

Could you check the installation to ensure nothing is out of place? Perhaps if you could provide the paths to MO, Steam and Skyrim in addition to you Windows environment.

Unless we can get this information it will be very hard to pinpoint what is happening and even if a bug report is made all this information will still be needed.

MO: C:\Users\Mercury\Documents\Skyrim Mod Organizer

Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Skyrim: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I've also tried running MO as admin but that didn't fix anything.

I've ran the game multiple times and it still doesn't allow me to check that box.

Like I mentioned in my OP, the automatic archive invalidation option remains grayed out on all profiles UNLESS I select "Default Game Settings" when making a new profile. But again, it did the same thing on my previous modded install, and my fresh install. I haven't changed any of the config/ini files so I don't understand.

But if "Back-date BSAs" eliminates the need for that option, is it safe to continue with just that even though the AI option is still grayed out?

My apologies then. As it was some time ago since I installed a game that uses it, I must confess that I simply didn't realize it worked that way. @hishutup works in Oblivion a lot so I trust his memory.

Well both of you know much more than me so I appreciate the help

The only reason I remember is because in Oblivion I was stumped on why I couldnt enable it and I was stumpt on  why I was getting crashes

My apologies then. As it was some time ago since I installed a game that uses it, I must confess that I simply didn't realize it worked that way. @hishutup works in Oblivion a lot so I trust his memory.

Oh, I have one more question. I reinstalled MO just to get a fresh start since I didn't have anything major set up ATM, and after I clicked "Back-date BSAs", a BSA file called "Skyrim - Invalidation" showed up in my archives section but it's unselected by default. Do I need to check the box myself, or is it supposed to be that way?

Edited by garybenoak