AMD Radeon HD 8500m Undetected by Skyrim Launcher

eMoez7

Question

Hello, i'm new here a minute ago. Searching forum and google seems not working. lol

My Laptop/Notebook Lenovo G400

RAM : 2GB

VRAM : 2GB AMD Radeon HD 8500M (written like this by msinfo32 run command)

Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU 2020 2.4Ghz

Using latest driver AMD 14.4 Mobility.

I've followed every intruction by https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB but Skyrim Launcher seem only detected my Intel® HD Graphic, and when i start launching with SKSE via NMM, ENB detected Intel® HD Graphic too (when loadscreen bethesda you know that right ?)

Any help would be apriciate, Thanks :D

1 answer to this question

Hello, welcome to the STEP forums. Firstly we would prefer if you used Mod Organizer as your manager instead of NMM, it is better and easier to diagnose problematic mods. Putting that aside though you and I have the same situation.

Even though I manually set my nVidia control panel to force the Skyrim Launcher to use the dedicated video card, it always only shows the Intel one.

However, unless I am getting some really good results from the Intel card, the actual card that is used is the dedicated nVidia, in your case AMD card. I put this down to some poor code from Bethesda that can't detect the card unless it is actually used in displaying the screen in normal use. I have seen other tools also being unable to detect unless the specific 3D rendering is needed and then it kicks in and is seen.

As for the ENB, it is also the same thing. I have seen a few comments on the ENB forum noting this phenomenon and likewise my actual results seem to indicate that it is actually the nVidia that is used.

No matter what I have tried, from manually editing the ini files to show my nVidia card to running all the control panel tools available to set nVidia as the default for the Skyrim Launcher, it still never shows.

I would like to have someone say something different and provide THE way to use it. That would mean I would be getting insanely better performance out of my laptop compared to what I have now. What I have at the moment is pretty good, anything better would be a bonus.

As it is, I put it down to just a glitch and the real cards are being used.