The Mantis Imperative - Combat

GrantSP

Question

I'm now into cleaning some of the mods in the Quest section and I just need a bit of clarification.

LOOT 0.7 has this as a message for the Combat plugin:

• "It is recommended that you DO NOT load [this mod] in conjunction with FWE, as their alterations will conflict with each other and may cause issues."

What's your take on that? I notice you say:

The next to last Mantis Lab subquest is frustrating because of some limitations of the Fallout engine as it was designed for creatures with vanilla combat capabilities vs. the modified combat capabilities added by FWE and mods like MMM; it can take many tries before succeeding (alternatively a little creativeness with console commands like tcl can be used to provide some assistance).

I'm assuming this is the mod that needs a bit of 'loving'? Just plough on regardless with the knowledge that some creatures may work oddly?

Just looking further down the LOOT report, I see this also applies to the Medical, SkillBooks & XP plugins.

Edited by GrantSP

2 answers to this question

I don't advocate using any of the plugins in Mantis other than the two I recommended that are for the quest(s). The plugins I recommended have absolutely no effect on any FWE record; this can easily be seen in FO3Edit. Puce Moose also adds some of his own ideas on balance plugins in the overall Mantis mod. He doesn't use any of the overhauls himself (FWE, FOOK, Arwen, ...) so his balance plugins are typically incapable of use with many of the other mods.

He also created some balance plugins for Fallout NV in the Tweak and Balance Center mod, and I find a lot of his plugins for the FNV DLC quite useful. Many of the ones that affect the base FNV game are hard to integrate with the overhauls like Project Nevada, etc. His FNV plugins that remove excessive loot are useful but need to be disabled after they have run for a while because the scripts start eating a lot of CPU cycles.

There seems to be a significant effect on one creature in the Mantis - Mantis mod. I can't figure out exactly why this happens since the plugin records are almost all unique to the mod, and the changes it makes to a few creatures (which doesn't include the one that causes the problem I mentioned) are very small. I've never tried doing this one part of the quest with a pure vanilla game. I wish there were a way to bypass this one portion of one subquest since the rest of the quest is quite interesting. The way I typically avoid the problem is to

save the game when piggy starts following me, restart and have the piggy follow you to the unopenable door. When the piggy is near use the console to enter TCL, move up above the door until the piggy hits the door and opens it, then go back to the floor and disable tcl in the console.