ENBoost crash on startup

thisisbleep

Question

I have followed the ENBoost guide, but the "Wrapper" version crashes on startup and the "Injector" does not appear to work. I can run the game with the "Injector" version but there is no ENB message in the top left corner and when I enabled the windowed setting, to see if that would change it, nothing happened. I assume that there is a process blocking it from running correctly, but I have no clue what it is. I searched the forum and this came up, but I do not have any monitoring processes running (to my knowledge).

I was active here before, but recently got a new PC which is more powerful and can handle the modding, so I intend to install the STEP Extended.

PC specs

CPU: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz
GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, 4GB
MoBo: Gigabyte G1 Sniper H6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CS750M
HDD: Plextor 256GB SSD & Seagate 2TB HDD
Display: LG 42" TV
Audio: Logitech Z906

GPU Driver: 347.09

Processes running on the PC
See attached.

EDIT: I just saw that there is an ENB specific sub-forum, could a mod move my post to there? I was not able to find any solutions there though. :(

tasklist.xlsx

Edited by thisisbleep

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Trying lowering your VideoMemorySizeMb to something more like 10240. You're never going to use even that much just give it a try. Also, delete the enbseries.ini file if you have it installed.

I had tried a lower value before and it did not help. I tried 10240 as you suggested and it still crashes straight away.

I have not copied the enbseries.ini file, but every time I run the game it generates the file.

EDIT:

I have tried the six older GPU drivers and also running it without any drivers installed. The old drivers had the same issue, instant crash, and with no drivers it had an error about failing to initialise (or something similar). At this point I cannot think what else that it could be. Is there no ENB log or debug which would record the error?

Could someone make a copy of their working ENBoost files for me to try?

Edited by thisisbleep

The enblocal.ini looks fine to me, and although reducing VideoMemorySizeMb would be a good idea, that value of 18432 won't cause Skyrim to crash.

If running through the vanilla Skyrim launcher, without SKSE, then that rules out any influence of the Sheson Memory patch fix (because it's provided as part of SKSE if using the skse.ini settings), and you don't need Memory Blocks Log because it's only necessary to check on how the memory patch is working out in game.

Just to double-check though - are you using SSME (the other implementation of the Sheson Memory patch fix) by chance?

If not, then I only have one other suggestion at the moment -

I do remember reading on the ENB forums an issue for one user with Skyrim crashing at startup and they resolved it by re-installing DirectX 9.

ENB does hook into DX9, even if only using ENBoost, so that's something to try.

Thanks, that fixed it. I downloaded the DirectX file from here and ran it. It did not give any errors when running the installer and it is strange that the game could run fine without ENBoost and the "broken" DX11, but I am not complaining  ::): .

I also do not have that SSME mod, or anything similar, installed.

Edited by thisisbleep

Thanks, that fixed it. I downloaded the DirectX file from here and ran it. It did not give any errors when running the installer and it is strange that the game could run fine without ENBoost and the "broken" DX11, but I am not complaining  ::): .

I also do not have that SSME mod, or anything similar, installed.

I am so very happy to hear that solved your problem!

Regarding SSME - you don't need it if you follow the STEP instructions to set up SKSE with the skse.ini file that will enable the Sheson Memory fix patch.

Best of luck finishing your Skyrim set up and happy gaming!

I just wanted to add my thanks - this solution helped me as well. I'd like also to add that, as a Windows 10 user (with DX12), the download link above (and in the troubleshooting guide) doesn't work for me - attempting to install the DX9 user runtime merely presents a window indicating that it can't be installed on my O/S.

Instead, I had to download the directX SDK from here, then run DXSetup.exe from within the SDK. The process added the missing libraries to my DX12 installation and voila! I was able to start Skyrim with ENB enabled.

Incidentally, DXDiag still reports that I have DX12 installed - the process appeared to simply add the​ older libraries along side the existing installation. 

But I never would have figured out what was wrong without this thread, so thanks very much for sharing the collective community wisdom. It's what I like most about S.T.E.P.!

I just wanted to add my thanks - this solution helped me as well. I'd like also to add that, as a Windows 10 user (with DX12), the download link above (and in the troubleshooting guide) doesn't work for me - attempting to install the DX9 user runtime merely presents a window indicating that it can't be installed on my O/S.

Instead, I had to download the directX SDK from here, then run DXSetup.exe from within the SDK. The process added the missing libraries to my DX12 installation and voila! I was able to start Skyrim with ENB enabled.

Incidentally, DXDiag still reports that I have DX12 installed - the process appeared to simply add the​ older libraries along side the existing installation. 

But I never would have figured out what was wrong without this thread, so thanks very much for sharing the collective community wisdom. It's what I like most about S.T.E.P.!

Thanks for your information. I've updated the ENB Guide to reflect.

I also had the problem - but loading DX9c didn't fix it - alone (read on). Out of desperation I tried stepping down on the ENB, I removed 0.279 and loaded 0.262 and Viola! that worked. 

I had been using the 0.279 fine, but like an idiot I updated the Win 10 video driver for my AMD. Apparently, AMD has done something in their drivers to use DX12 under win10 that seems to break the 0.279 use of DX

So in short, reload DX9c as described and try stepping down on the ENB version if that doesn't work alone.

BTW: after 13 hours on this, I intend to let sleeping dogs lie and thus I do NOT intend testing stepping down the ENB version without the DX9 fix. Someone else can do that.

I also had the problem - but loading DX9c didn't fix it - alone (read on). Out of desperation I tried stepping down on the ENB, I removed 0.279 and loaded 0.262 and Viola! that worked. 

I had been using the 0.279 fine, but like an idiot I updated the Win 10 video driver for my AMD. Apparently, AMD has done something in their drivers to use DX12 under win10 that seems to break the 0.279 use of DX

So in short, reload DX9c as described and try stepping down on the ENB version if that doesn't work alone.

BTW: after 13 hours on this, I intend to let sleeping dogs lie and thus I do NOT intend testing stepping down the ENB version without the DX9 fix. Someone else can do that.

Just curious here but are you refering to the Crimson 15:12 version, I run that with Windows 10 and ENB 0.279 and never had troubles in Skyrim, but then I had DX9 installed from a long time ago so it just auto-updated everything for me, could be the difference I guess.

i know you found a solution, but i've tried everything on this post and more and nothing works. i still get a crash on skyrim AE immediately after hitting play. i have SKSE installed, and i've tried both vanilla and with mods. nothing works no matter what i do. i've installed the latest drivers for my graphics card (GTX 1660 Ti) and i think i'm going insane at this point.

12 hours ago, eunsukmi said:

i know you found a solution, but i've tried everything on this post and more and nothing works. i still get a crash on skyrim AE immediately after hitting play. i have SKSE installed, and i've tried both vanilla and with mods. nothing works no matter what i do. i've installed the latest drivers for my graphics card (GTX 1660 Ti) and i think i'm going insane at this point.

ENBoost doesn't apply to SSE. Just use ENBSeries