Skyrim 4GB System memory

morphaus

Question

great work here thanks, I use this and many more texture's.. in step guide

Here is my problem, Wouldlove for some help, skyrim wll use 3.0/3.2... not 4gb

Can any 1 point to this problem, 8 gig memory, 4 gig vram,64 bit windows 7

I travel from one end of map to the other, and when my system memory gets to 3.1 gig,

And vram memory only at 2.7 gig..

i get masive stutting.(and ctd) allways around 3/3.2 ive seen skyrim vram go over 3gig,, but when system memory get 2 about 3.1.

Thats when i get the problem's ctd

I thought skyrim could use 4gig. seems it will only use 3.1.

How can i tell skyrim too use 4 gig system mem.. ?????

Still got 3 gig system memory left.

test highest textures.. 3.050 gb crash...no mods... just teture's

texture's with coulple of mods, crash 3050, ran texture optimazer, helped in place's,

But as sooon as i go 3.050 gig crash.

i do not (BE LIE VE), skyrim use's more than 3gig af system memory, would love to see screen shot of it, till then,,, 4gb patch is a lie

it is a 32bit app after all, maybe i need to tell windows its a ?

i need too see a screen shot of TESV, in manger using 3.2 or more... i dont think it can....

Yeah laa 1.4 WAS AN UPGRADE,im on 1.7.7 ... and that upgrade help's get past from 2gb . too 3gb...

screen shot of TESV USING 3.2 or more then its at my end.......    if i lower ugridstooload too 5 maybe i will never see 3gig,

i need too understand. ??? anyone.....  dont think many have took this game this far... ie, pass 3.050 sytem mem.

So even we have 64bit OS, the TESV will not use more than 3050 meg of system mem, with out crashing.

so why did they call it a 4 gig patch, TESV will not use 3gig or more, every time i get too 2.9

i need to quick save, so who is lieing 64 bit windows 7 or the game ?

Because 32-bit applications can only assign 2GB of physical RAM to a process.

Im useing 2 too 2.9   and playing fine,, ie, from 2.2 =2.9 as soon as i get to 3gb and above, CTD, so it useing more than you saying....???? confused,

All im asking, Can skyrim use more than 3gb, people here saying it dont need it, and skyrim can only use 2gb,

After( many )freash install's skyrim, SKYRIM, will use only 3050 system memory then crash.

SO IS THAT THE LIMIT, ???????? 3050

but skyrim doesn't need more than 3GB,

It does, from step texure's and armor texture's (it does) ??? I USE 2.2 TOO 2.9 as soon as i go over 3gb = crash

I did set (page file) to extra 10 gig,( its like windows 7 dont ask for page fil) im running off ssd's in raid 0, but before it,s crahing at 3050, there is no hard drive activity. Just crash,,

Im going back on skyrim in a mo, will report log,

well after 30 mins, just loaded into riften, loaded with 2.5 gig mem, rideing around the cells, to load more than 3gig, got up to 3010, no crash.

30 mins around there still no crash, will wait till tomorrow sleepy atm..

all i needed was the dragon to come along with that extra 50 meg, lol

would have the crashed.

This is what Papyus state's.

I have no clue, What papy mean's.Got up too 3160 memery before crash :(

stack:

[C00 (0004B2D9)].companionshousekeepingscript.CycleRadiantQuests() - "CompanionsHousekeepingScript.psc" Line 697

[C00LocationMonitoring3 (000A3EE5)].QF_C00LocationMonitoring3_000A3EE5.Fragment_0() - "QF_C00LocationMonitoring3_000A3EE5.psc" Line 30

[09/03/2012 - 02:51:27PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp18"

stack:

[C00 (0004B2D9)].companionshousekeepingscript.CycleRadiantQuests() - "CompanionsHousekeepingScript.psc" Line 697

[C00LocationMonitoring3 (000A3EE5)].QF_C00LocationMonitoring3_000A3EE5.Fragment_0() - "QF_C00LocationMonitoring3_000A3EE5.psc" Line 30

[09/03/2012 - 02:51:27PM] error: Cannot call Premature() on a None object, aborting function call

stack:

[C00 (0004B2D9)].companionshousekeepingscript.CycleRadiantQuests() - "CompanionsHousekeepingScript.psc" Line 701

[09/03/2012 - 02:51:27PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp22"

stack:

[C00 (0004B2D9)].companionshousekeepingscript.CycleRadiantQuests() - "CompanionsHousekeepingScript.psc" Line 701

[09/03/2012 - 02:51:27PM] error: Cannot call Premature() on a None object, aborting function call

stack:

[C00 (0004B2D9)].companionshousekeepingscript.CycleRadiantQuests() - "CompanionsHousekeepingScript.psc" Line 709

[09/03/2012 - 02:51:27PM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp23"

stack:

[C00 (0004B2D9)].companionshousekeepingscript.CycleRadiantQuests() - "CompanionsHousekeepingScript.psc" Line 709

Thats what's strange now, i thought that, becouse has before. with birds and flock. i could see the error.

i will keep an eye on it,next crash,

Windows 7 flault then maybe ? It is a 64bit, acting like a 32bit. ?

I'm sorry, it's a bit OT, but do you happen to know what capitalisation, spacing and punctuation are?

I appreciate that you might not be a native English speaker, but the basic rules are pretty universal in most languages.

if you use skyrim configurator found at https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/814/?

you can set the texture quality to high which on my system shaved off ~900 mb of ram usage in whiterun (biggest ram useage place i know of)

although i have found certain textures dont bode well with the setting on high and kinda look blurred. these include sides of stone walkways which have the lip type curbs. and the vertical sections of stairs. im not sure why the discrepency is so large. i can only assume that when set on high the game starts to use lower quality mips on less important faces (hence the bluriness) keep in mind im using most of the 2K texture packs etc etc. i think this comes down to certain textures being too large to begin with on the 2K texture packs and when set on very high texture quality the game is being forced to load all that useless information for the small surfaces which can be 2K res as well.

Thats what's strange now, i thought that, becouse has before. with birds and flock. i could see the error.

i will keep an eye on it,next crash,

Windows 7 flault then maybe ? It is a 64bit, acting like a 32bit. ?

I'm sorry, it's a bit OT, but do you happen to know what capitalisation, spacing and punctuation are?

I appreciate that you might not be a native English speaker, but the basic rules are pretty universal in most languages.

Who care's about capitalisation, Cap's. after sending hour's installing step only to find this bug, and then to be told about bloody caps and full stop's... (G)ot nothing good to say about this problem ,

And what's OT, OT not very universal is it.

Well written and grammatically correct post is visually pleasant to read and it's a matter of respect for the people YOU are asking to HELP with YOUR problem. Good manners, kindess and netiquette, simple as that.

OT is Off Topic - it's a term commonly used on internet forums, self explanatory. On that note, let's end this OT now.

::EDIT::

I've only just realised how old these posts were... Nevermind.

Here's my experience with Skyrim and memory usage:

Bought a new graphics card with lots of VRAM (3GB).

Already had a rig with LOTS of RAM (24GB).

Figured i'd install all these hi-res textures that i couldn't use before.

By the way, a symptom of running out of VRAM is, IMO, this: FPS is OK while you don't move, but it immediately drops when you turn around (i.e. the card can't keep the textures the stuff in front of you and behind you in memory simultaneously).

Anyway, i've installed all available hi-res textures for everything in STEP.

The game ran fine - but kept terminating itself while i was strolling around the world (note that "terminating itself" is the correct term to use here; "CTD" ("Crash To Desktop") has "crash" in it, which is the situation when the program throws an exception it is incapable of handling, and the OS steps in and kills it (you get a crash dialog from Windows); in this case the exception (if it was an exception; could be anything) WAS handled by Skyrim - handled by immediate process termination (another reason why i think that TES5 developers are not very competent)).

Watching TESV in ProcessHacker revealed that it always ran up to 3.2GB of Private Memory at the time of the crash. That hinted at memory problems. I ran Ordinator to optimize and scale down 4k textures into 2k, and that improved things a bit. Later on i ran it again, and scaled down to 1k that time. This reduced memory usage to 2.3-2.6GB instead of near-constant 3.2GB, and practically removed all self-termination issues.

The moral of this story: don't install hi-res textures over 1k (there are some packs that contain a mix of 1k and 2k, where 2k is only used for _some_ textures that really need the resolution - these are probably ok).

Obviously, there are other things than textures in memory, but textures, i guess, do take up lots of space. Case in point: a float takes 4 bytes, a vertex consists of 3 floats (4*3=12 bytes). A model consists of, say, 1000 triangular polygons. I'm too lazy to make a correct estimation of the number of vertices that would be needed for 1000 polygons (it depends on the shape of the model, obviously; less than the number of polygons - that is the only thing you can be certain of). Let's say 900 vertices. One polygon consists of 3 integers (vertex indices), an integer takes up 4 bytes, one polygon takes up 3*4=12 bytes. 900 vertices * 12 bytes-per-vertex = 10800 bytes; 1000 polygons * 12 bytes-per-polygon = 12000. 12000+10800=22800 bytes. That is, slightly more than 22 kilobytes. Compare to textures, which never go lower than 100 kilobytes (small ones, with good compression; uncompressed textures are measured in megabytes - 512*512*4-bytes-per-pixel (uncompressed 512x512 rgba) = 1 megabyte).

An open question is why TES5 keeps a copy of each texture in RAM (at least that is the impression i'm getting), when they should go into VRAM of the graphics card.

Hopefully, TES6 will have a 64-bit version that doesn't run out of 32-bit address space...