[WIP] Mator Smash

Mator

Question

kWdBG.jpg

Mator Smash

VIDEO TUTORIAL - For v0.0.7

GamerPoets Video - For v0.4.1

Mator Smash is now available on Nexus Mods. 

Nexus Mods Mod Page

As of v1.0.0, Mator Smash has a "Quick Patch" button

As of v0.5.1, Mator Smash will copy records with "errors" in them (such as unresolved/unexpected references)

As of v0.5.0, Mator Smash has new algorithm features and is more stable.

As of v0.4.1, Mator Smash merges redundant plugins properly.

As of v0.4, Mator Smash now produces complete record prototypes

As of v0.3, Mator Smash supports Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE

As of v0.2.2, Mator Smash allows you to modify tags on plugins from within the program.

As of v0.2.1, Mator Smash has Smash Settings for Skyrim for every Bash Tag Wrye Bash offered for Oblivion.

Changelog:

v1.0.0

- No longer cleaning masters (the smashed patch will require all patched plugins as masters)
- Increased saturation of profile panel colors
- Removed unimplemented buttons from the QuickBar
- Removed MO Integration - it's unnecessary
- Added easter egg
- Added "quick patch" button
- Fixed FO3/FNV load order issue
- Added Fallout3 and FalloutNV Smash.All settings  
- Updated FO4 and TES4 Smash.All settings
- Fixed switch smash profile button

v0.5.1

- Fixed inactive plugins being enabled for SSE/FO4
- Updated Smash.All so Perk Effect Conditions are treat as single entity
- Fixed case sensitivity when determining if patch destination directory is the game's data path
- Fixed bug with not creating directories when building a patch when user is not using MO
- Now allowing copying of records with "errors" in them
- Improved handling of out of order subrecords

v0.5.0
- Added override deletions algorithm feature

- Added force value algorithm feature

- Fixed some SSE/FO4 load order issues

- Added and updated smash settings

- Fixed issue with CTDs due to counter elements being set to 0 when their associated array is not present.

- Fixed issue with cells being deleted incorrectly due to bad ITM/ITPO cleanup code.

v0.4.1
- Adjusted the description of the Smash.All setting.
- Fixed merging of redundant plugins.
- Fixed recognition of sorted subrecord arrays.

v0.4

- Added Smash.All setting, a new version of the old "Automatic" setting.
- Dramatically improved record prototyping.  Record prototypes should now be complete and include unions such as BOD2 and BODT.
- Fixed loading the Skyrim load order file for SSE when not using MO.
- Fixed SSE load order DLC positions.
- Added Mod Organizer instancing support.

v0.3.1

- Fixed bug with initialization exceptions not being handled properly
- Fixed Fallout 4 BA2 file loading

v0.3
- Fixed bug with enabling automatic updating causing catastrophic failure.
- Added some language strings for "Enable", "Disable", and "Autoscroll"
- Fixed bug with setting corruption when combining settings (wasn't cloning the objects properly)
- Fixed bug with being unable to delete patches with unloaded plugins
- Fixed a bug with deleting patches
- Added "Remove unloaded plugins" context menu option to Smashed patches
- Now loading BSAs on initialization so localization strings are available to the program.
- Fixed cancelling plugin selection not closing the program
- Fixed floating point division by zero error when smashing records
- Added search functionality to the records tree
- Added SSE game mode support
- Added FO4 game mode support
- Adjusted how the profile form works.  Now it will always create default profiles for games that don't have profiles.
- Disabled the registration controls on the options form because they aren't working yet (we don't have a backend yet, after all)

v0.2.2.2

- Fixed bug with application being unable to create the profiles folder.
- Fixed index out of bounds when trying to set a plugin's smash setting.

v0.2.2
- Refactored project to use decoupled architecture similar to Merge Plugins
- Added a Plugin Selection Window
- Cleaned up the Tree Popup Menu, similar items have been grouped
- Added Tag Manager Form, which allows you to manually clear tags from the plugin, remove specific tags from the plugin, add tags to the plugin, or edit the plugin's description manually.
- If the "Create combined setting" checkbox is ticked when you close the Tag Manager, it will create and apply a virtual combined setting to the plugin for the tags you selected.
- Added a tags submenu for plugins, you can now clear tags on plugins, apply tags to a plugin based on your smash setting, or manage tags from the Tag Manager.
- Fixed various access violations that could sometimes occur when closing the program or when smashing certain records
- Added a feature that tells smash to merge mods that are comprised entirely of override records.  You can enable it from the Patching tab of the Options Window.  You will be notified in the smashing log of any redundant plugins that can be disabled after building your smashed patch.
- Fixed a bug with parsing ungrouped tags on plugins
- Fixed a bug with renaming a setting not updating its name in the Smash Settings List View in the Settings Manager.
- No longer creating duplicate virtual combined settings.
- Fixed bug where resizing the window didn't always update the contents of the form.
- Added a setting which can be manually added to the settings.ini file if the for simple splash display.  This will disable the glow on text in the Splash Form.  If the text on the Splash form looks distorted you should enable this setting.
- Now trimming leading and trailing whitespace when parsing tags.  So the following: `{{BASH: Delev, Relev   }}` will be parsed the same as `{{BASH:Delev,Relev}}`
- Added submenus for smash setting groups in the Plugins Popup Menu -> Add Smash Setting submenu
- Now verifying patch name and filename don't have illegal characters that aren't allowed by Windows.

v0.2.1

- Fixed access violation due to a flaw in the for loop when removing ITPOs
- No longer allowing building of patches which have one plugin.  This was causing a floating point division by zero error when performing preliminary calculations for the progress bar.
- Now disables the name, color, description, and tree controls when the msSettingManager is first created
- Now using a release build configuration
- Plugin selection form OK button now enables after Select All or other popup menu actions
- Refactored old log groups from MERGE to PATCH
- Added Bash Tag settings for Skyrim for every Bash tag that exists for Oblivion.
- No longer creating subfolders for smashed patches when the patch destination directory is the data folder
- Changing the smash setting now marks the patch as needing to be rebuilt
- Added groups to the Smash Settings manager.  If a setting's name has a dot in it, the text before the dot will be used as the setting group.  Groups are collapsible, and are reflected in filenames.
- Added special tag group parsing, if a tag starts with some text and then a colon, that text plus a period is prepended to each sub-tag.  E.g. {{Bash:Relev,Delev}} searches for the settings Bash.Relev and Bash.Delev.
- Added more hint information to the Settings Manager Tree view node hints for the Treat as Single and Preserve Deletions flags.

v0.1.1

- Added Select Similar Nodes
- Autoset attributes now disables IDLE records because smashing them commonly leads to failure
- Now updates count elements automatically, so no more CTDs from nasty NPC_ records with invalid COCT - Count elements.
- Fixed sorted array index issue for destination element when there were additions at earlier indexes
- Fixed VMAD treat as single not working properly
- Added smash setting hashes
- Added tag recognition for normal tags, extended tags, special extended tags, and multiple tags
- Fixed the combine setting option
- Fixed ITM removal removing non-ITMs
- Smash settings are now stored in game-specific directories.  You'll want to move your smash settings to a directory for your game.  So `.\settings\\`, game being Skyrim, Fallout3, FalloutNV, or Oblivion.
- Fixed a bug that caused the program to freeze while saving plugin errors
- Now conflict resolving with the winning master record
- Fixed loaded ESPs excluded from patch creation still influencing patch contents
- Improved the Edit Patch form to be more like the Edit Merge form from Merge Plugins
- Now saving logs in subfolders as it is done in Merge Plugins
- Changed DetailsListEditor to a virtual StringGrid, as it is in Merge Plugins
- Now offers an option to merge conflicting settings from the msConflictForm
- Fixed issue with autoset attributes not removing flags when disabling a child

v0.0.7

- Now copies winning override of overrides in files being smashed, which fixes a bug which caused partial load order smashed patches to often fail
- Fixed record prototype construction, now assigns to empty arrays so the record tree should always be complete now
- Build tree from plugins now targets records instead of top level groups.  You can now access and smash any record type.
- There are no more hardcoded record type exclusions.  You can now smash whatever you want.  Officially distributed settings will skip records that shouldn't be smashed, of course.
- Fixed exception when right clicking not on a node in tvRecords
- Fixed flag drawing bug that would draw flags in the upper left hand corner of tvRecords when expanding a node
- Splash screen now has glow on the loading text so it is always readable
- Now doing a better job of skipping records that don't need to be conflict resolved
- Progress bar is now more accurate when smashing patches.
- Now removing ITM groups when removing ITPOs
- Created Autoset Attributes option
- Created an "Automatic" smash setting which is built using Autoset attributes on a setting built from a full load order of plugins.

v0.0.6

- Preserve deletions in top-level elements (subrecords) now works

- Some improvements to logging

- Linking elements fixed

- Single entity element copying fixed

- Array identification conditions fixed

- Did away with the old building trees methodology. You can now right-click on the records node of a setting and use the Add submenu to create definitions for records.

- Added a new build tree option, which can be used from the right click popup menu.

v0.0.5

- Added code so you can now toggle multiple nodes in the tree using the space bar.

- Fixed Treat As Single Entity never being triggered because children nodes were always disabled and couldn't be toggle without removing the flag.

- Fixed chain nodes linking nodes at different levels, which also led to access violations when trying to remove the links.

- Failed smashed patch status now retains after smashing completes.

- Smashing is now cancelable.

- Now storing element definition type information in setting trees.  NOTE: Elements in old setting trees will have the "Unknown" type.  You'll need to rebuild your settings to get type information.

- Made prune nodes option more user friendly and added an auto-prune option to the popup menu for fast and simple pruning.
- Fixed bug with deleting a smash setting not removing it from disk.  They now get sent to the recycle bin when deleted.

- Fixed issue with processing records when they were set to not be processed in the setting (which created ITPOs).

- Distinguishes between arrays better.  Unsorted dtArray elements will now be treated as arrays, as intended.

- Removes ITPOs after smashing.

v0.0.4

- Added -profile param handling
- Algorithm now supports multi-linking (chaining) elements
- Added option to chain nodes in the Settings Manager
- Hardcoded excluded groups are now only RACE, NAVI, and NAVM
- Cloning settings will no longer create an infinite loop
- Plugin selection form now has a popup menu with Select all, Select none, and Invert selection options
- Plugin selection form now has extra options for targetting/skipping records
- Fixed issue with building tree not assigned TElementData for the rootNode, causing an access violation when checking anything in the tree

v0.0.3.14

- Core functionality is complete

- The UX for smashing and the algorithm are both more-or-less complete, may be updated

- Most of what needs to be done now is the creation of smash settings, which can be done by anyone with some knowledge of patching

- I'll try to make some documentation/tutorial resources for creating smash settings so you guys can get started on them

Purpose
Mator Smash is an application built on the xEdit framework developed to replace the primary functionality of Wyre Bash - the creation of patch files to combine (or merge) conflicting overrides to overcome Bethesda's "Rule of One". Wyre Bash used to provide this functionality in the days of Oblivion through the usage of bash tags, keywords that would be put in the description of the mod that would then tell Wyre Bash what types of records it should try patching. However, the current status is that Wyre Bash only provides this for a handful of record types for Skyrim, and this has been the case for quite a while now. There are several users (most notably Sharlikran) who have been working to update Wyre Bash's codebase to work with Skyrim, but it's been an uphill battle. As of now, it's not certain whether Wyre Bash will ever offer the same functionality it did in the days of Oblivion for Skyrim mods. That's where Mator Smash comes in.

Why is this necessary?
As per Skyrim's "Rule of One", any two mods that modify the same record but in different ways will conflict with each other in a way that can't be resolved asides from the creation of a compatibility patch. Because the number of Skyrim mods exceeds 40,000, there is no conceivable way to manually build enough compatibility patches to make every possible load order (or even a small fraction of them) work with each mod operating as intended. Mator Smash automates the most important part of the task of compatibility patch creation - the combining of conflicting edits. This is something that we've been needing for a very, very long time.

How does it work?
Warning: technical jargon ahead. Where Wyre Bash has separate procedures for the patching of individual record types, Mator Smash has a few generic procedures for the patching of ALL record types. This means that Mator Smash has, with very little development effort, achieved the capacity to patch more records than Wyre Bash has ever been capable of patching. This is achieved through a recursive traversal method which traverses override record structure, comparing subrecords between a master record, a source override record, and a destination override record. Upon the basis of this comparison, certain subrecords are written to the destination record while others are skipped and others are deleted from it.

Development Status
I began development of Mator Smash as a standalone application built on top of the xEdit API 10/18/2015. Here's the GitHub repository. Check out the design folder in the repository for various files relating to my design process. I'll be live streaming most of my development on livecoding.tv. I'll be streaming mainly on weekends 9:00AM-9:00PM PST. Because of major code reuse from merge plugins standalone, smash will be entering public beta very soon.

Mator Smash is currently available as a proof of concept script (which is slow and lacking in features/a clean user experience). You can download v0.9.4 of that script here. This script can currently correctly patch a massive number of different types of records. FAR MORE than Wyre Bash or any other currently available solution, and more than any solution that has ever existed for Skyrim or any other game.

Implemented Features

• Dynamic, flexible settings: Smash settings are comprised of a tree which has information on how records/subrecords should be handled. This will allow users to control how a patch is created on a per-subrecord basis. This will make smash relevant regardless of the nature of the mods being patched, or the game the mods come from. Each node (record/subrecord) will have the following data associated with it-
    • Process: Whether or not smash should process this node and perform conflict resolution for it if a conflict is found.
    • Preserve Deletions: If a mod deletes an element inside of this node, that deletion will be preserved in the generated patch.
    • Treat as single entity: If a mod overrides any subrecord in this node, the entire node will be replaced with that mod's version of it.
    • Chaining: Linking allows you to copy multiple side-by-side elements when any one of those elements changes.
    • Override Deletions: Allows a plugin to restore deleted elements.
    • Force Value: Forces values from a particular plugin to be used, and only allows plugins which require this plugin to perform further conflict resolution on affected records.
  • Tags: As of v0.2.1, all Bash tags that were offered with Wrye Bash for Oblivion are now available for Skyrim.  Smash will automatically detect tags and apply smash settings to the plugins that have them, assuming you have smash settings that correspond to the tags.
  • Managed smashed patches: Patches you build will be tracked in the program, so you can quickly and easily rebuild them when your load order changes. You can also have multiple patches for your load order, if you feel that is desirable.
  • Multi-language support: I built a really clean, extensible, and easy to use language system when I developed Merge Plugins Standalone. Smash will use the same language system to support multiple languages out-of-the-box. As a translator, all you have to do is make a text file to create a translation and have users install it in their lang folder. The rest is handled by the program.
  • Fast and easy setting creation: Select some plugins to build a setting to specifically handle the conflicts they are capable of creating in a load order.  Toggle or set flags for multiple nodes at once.  Select similar nodes in a setting tree.  Conflict resolution has never been quite so powerful, flexible, and easy.

Planned Features

Smash is now pretty much feature complete.  Further development energy will be spent on porting it to a zEdit application mode, zSmash, which will include a new, streamlined workflow.

• +1 3

I'll give this a try with a couple installs that I have laying around.

Cool!  Looking forward to hearing from you on how that goes!

Nice to see you found the xEdit forum Mator. Glad to see you're still working on Smash.

Yep, fireundubh told me to use it, so I'm using it.  :)

Smash kind of went to the back burner so I could work on Merge Plugins v1.8, but that's basically done now so Smash is now the center of my attention again!

Edited by Mator

I'll do some testing with both Skyrim and Fallout 3. I've been primarily working with FO3 lately, so I'll likely concentrate on using it there.

I haven't done any testing with Fallout 3 because I don't have it, so I can't provide any guarantees for functionality.  You may have to adjust record/subrecord exclusion settings (probably not, but maybe).

Hi & welcome here at the STEP forums, Mator!

As you can probably guess, I've been super busy in RL lately - not much time for testing, but I promise I'll try my best when I can squeeze it in.

I've also updated the Nexus Forums Mator Smash thread OP, including your rapid pace of updates since 0.8 earlier today!

Thanks keith! :D

OK, right when I started it up and before I started patching I saw that you have very flexible system. That is cool and all but for some plugins, I know exactly what records I want included/forwarded but I dont know what the syntax is. Maybe have a system where one can see a tree of all the records so I can check/tick exactly what records I want.

[spoiler=Incomplete example because xEdit is tied up]

For example, Aceeqs, Fantasy Soundtrack Project contains some nice music but there is an optional file which is "Unique Towns and Locations" the it edits ___ and ___ so I only care about the ____ and ____ sub-records respectively and all the other don't matter

Do you understand what I'm saying because it is hard to explain?

So I decided to shove the entire STEP Core and Extended as well as the WAO part in the Weather and Lighting pack so that I can fully observe what Smash does and doesn't. It might look quick but geez is takes a long time. Could it be a MO thing? Would it be possible to do a caching system for some of the plugins that are NEVER edited.

Well, this looks like its going to take awhile because I'm almost and hour in... 

I'm at the hour and 15min mark and the text in the log looks like it is stuttering but it may the weather records but it doesnt seem like it.

I am now regretting shoving the entire LO down Smash's throat. :/

OK, right when I started it up and before I started patching I saw that you have very flexible system. That is cool and all but for some plugins, I know exactly what records I want included/forwarded but I dont know what the syntax is. Maybe have a system where one can see a tree of all the records so I can check/tick exactly what records I want.

[spoiler=Incomplete example because xEdit is tied up]

For example, Aceeqs, Fantasy Soundtrack Project contains some nice music but there is an optional file which is "Unique Towns and Locations" the it edits ___ and ___ so I only care about the ____ and ____ sub-records respectively and all the other don't matter

Do you understand what I'm saying because it is hard to explain?

So I decided to shove the entire STEP Core and Extended as well as the WAO part in the Weather and Lighting pack so that I can fully observe what Smash does and doesn't. It might look quick but geez is takes a long time. Could it be a MO thing? Would it be possible to do a caching system for some of the plugins that are NEVER edited.

Well, this looks like its going to take awhile because I'm almost and hour in... 

I'm at the hour and 15min mark and the text in the log looks like it is stuttering but it may the weather records but it doesnt seem like it.

I am now regretting shoving the entire LO down Smash's throat. :/

If you're running on your entire load order please do the following:

Disable all debug booleans in the constants section of the script (it's at the very top)

Don't click Show Details while the script is running

Doing those two should cut down on execution MASSIVELY.  Like it should reduce it by 70% or more.

If you're running on your entire load order please do the following:

Disable all debug booleans in the constants section of the script (it's at the very top)

Don't click Show Details while the script is running

Doing those two should cut down on execution MASSIVELY.  Like it should reduce it by 70% or more.

That really sped things up :/

Ok, it finished and it does a lot incorrectly, actually a majority BUT I  did leave everything default and just jumped in with out really doing anything other than hitting smash.

Maybe it would be best to skip the official plugins, I'll give that a try. Cant skip em'.

I'll try some really specific things then

As a side thing, would it be possible to add like a random plugin naming thing because that wouldn't cause trouble because it is at the end of an LO plus it would be hilarious.

My patch is called Hulk Smash because why not.

I tried it with mods that edit pretty much the same groups. Yet again, I left everything on default and went with it

Here is the hulk smash plugin. If you want me to patch the LO so you compare then I can do that.

Here is the LO smashed

PuRXEQF.png

There are more than a few things wrong. Here are some images. 

22iiFjg.png

I9gfFUo.png

JhDg6Xo.png

rC2e3Yc.png

This one has a few thing correct but others that are wrong.

GNAM and Static Attenuation are fine but everything else is incorrect.

J5EOjzs.png

Here are some records that have no need to be patched...

o3IrQ7w.png

Ku9269m.png

KDvufsE.png

I understand its a WIP...

I guess I should ask, what are you looking for in having other people test it?

Exactly what you did, reporting issues.  I'm also looking for ideas on features and people's perspectives.  The thing is I already got a lot of feedback from a lot of people (on the thread on Nexus Mods and the thread on AFK Mods), so right now I'm in the stage of "I've got all this feedback, know about all these issues, and now I need to fix things/develop some stuff."

I guess the issue here is I need an issue tracker and don't have one, so I'm getting multiple reports of the same issues from different users.