I used Mator Smash to make individualized profiles for about 80 different mods that showed conflicting records in SSEedit. When I tried to launch the game with the patch enabled, the main menu window comes up and starts to load (e.g. the point where, if you have a large data folder, the New, Continue, etc buttons aren't yet visible but you see the dragon logo). However, before the menu buttons become visible it CTDs with no error message. By selectively removing plugins from the smashed patch I tracked the cause down to three esps, any of which cause the issue when included in the patch (even without the other two). These ESPs are:
- Animated Weapon Enchants
- My Audio Overhaul Skyrim Patches merged patch
I started trying to debug using my AOS patches as the test case and encountered the following:
- When using a new smash setting on AOS patches in which none of the fields are toggled, the patch still causes a CTD
- When using the Bash.Audio setting that I had cloned as Smash.AOS_Patches, the smashed patch actually contains 7 fewer records than when I exclude AOS Patches from the smashed patch.
- I wrote a quick SSEedit script to dump all FormIDs touched by the smashed patches, and found the 7 FormIDs that are in the working smashed patch but are absent in the non-working smashed patch. They are all WEAP entries.
- In 4 of these 7 entries, the entire entry was identical to the previous entry in the load order (AOS_Patches merged).
- In the other 3, the entry had inherited and overwritten the INAM record from Skyrim.esm in preference to the value in AOS_Patches merged (this is because Bash.Audio doesn't include WEAP INAM records, but including them and rebuilding the patch doesn't resolve the crashing).
- When I deleted these 7 WEAP entries from the working (AOS_Patches-excluded) smashed patch, resulting in a smashed plugin that appears (in SSEedit) to be identical to the CTD-inducing version, the game is still able to launch. Despite having the same amount of records as the non-working patch and also being the same filesize, the CRC32 checksum of this edited file is different from the non-working file.
- I can make a second smashed patch in which AOS_Patches and the non-working smashed patch 1 are smashed together, and the game is able to launch normally with smashed patch 2 activated. However this isn't really useful because smashed patch 1 is the conflict winner in the load order and as such overwrites any desired changes from AOS_Patches. I suppose I could drag AOS_Patches below it but having to do the same with Undeath would significantly interfere with my load order.
It seems like there's something aside from records that's being edited when I include AOS_Patches (and presumably Animated Weapon Enchants and Undeath). I'm kind of at the limit of my knowhow as to how to debug this though. All of my plugins are form44 in case that matters; the AOS_Patches is generated by Merge Plugins standalone.
Anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting?
Edit: I figured it might help if I upload the smashed patches.
1: Working version of smashed patch (AOS_Patches.esp excluded): https://mega.nz/#!Iq...1o_PsXOSLECoWPk
2: Non-working version of smashed patch (AOS_Patches.esp included): https://mega.nz/#!dq...TN98JsbozVib--A
3: Working version of smashed patch (AOS_Patches.esp excluded) where I removed the 7 extra records in SSEedit such that its record list matches that of the non-working version: https://mega.nz/#!Im...qEXLwyUNLp6sHxQ
Edited by Piranhaha, 20 January 2018 - 03:59 AM.