Skyrim Installation Guide

I tested with basically with minimal STEP, so VRAM was not an issue. Go look at the screens just after the benchmark results of the DDSopt guide (6-14 FPS using those examples, and they are direct compares):

Screenshots (CrossfireX):

Screenshots (Single GPU):

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of editing and a fair amount of content added. Brain dump nearing completion, I will have to actually research and use the remaining utilities before writing them up.

Now would be a good time to jump in if you have expertise in an area that didn't receive much attention.

Lots of great info in the guide. It will be popular, and you will find yourself answering many questions ;)

I found it useful as well for my own purposes, as I was not sure what the top-of-the-line mobo/processor combos were for sure.

Note on Crossfire using 1 Gb cards: I use the ATI 6850 (Sapphire, 1Gb) in Xfire, and see a significant performance improvement in FPS (10-20 FPS consistently), so while my VRAM limit is still capped identically, I think that the GPU performance gain is of significant benefit. The ATI Xfire drivers are well suited to Skyrim, and there is even an Xfire app config for TESV. Bang for the buck is definitely not worth buying two 1 Gb cards, but if you already have them, it would be highly advisable to put both to good use ;)

Looking forward to it, as that's my same setup, so any tips/tricks are/will be appreciated.

Lots of great info in the guide. It will be popular, and you will find yourself answering many questions ;)I found it useful as well for my own purposes, as I was not sure what the top-of-the-line mobo/processor combos were for sure.

Note on Crossfire using 1 Gb cards: I use the ATI 6850 (Sapphire, 1Gb) in Xfire, and see a significant performance improvement in FPS (10-20 FPS consistently), so while my VRAM limit is still capped identically, I think that the GPU performance gain is of significant benefit. The ATI Xfire drivers are well suited to Skyrim, and there is even an Xfire app config for TESV. Bang for the buck is definitely not worth buying two 1 Gb cards, but if you already have them, it would be highly advisable to put both to good use ;)

Looking forward to it, as that's my same setup, so any tips/tricks are/will be appreciated.

Then you might be interested in this post

frihyland posted by accident in another thread and so responding here...

Check out my new DLC section over in Skyrim InstallationEdit: not sure why i posted this here' date=' must have had multiple tabs open and posted to wrong one, but yeah while you are here might as well check it out :P[/quote']

Is there a reason for doing this DLC cleaning method instead of using Vano's Optimized DLC mod?I thought from discussions on the nexus thread a while back that Vano had essentially already compressed all the texture files etc. So is the only difference the fixes identified since he uploaded his mod in late Feb, eg blades armor fix?

If that is the case couldn't the blades fix just be applied after Vano's mod?

Also, if using Wyre or MO is there a need to repack in to BSAs? Aren't load times meant to be quicker with loose files? If so, should the directories just be merged, zipped and then treated as a new trexture mod with loose files?

If you have a rig with more than 1GB of VRAM the quality improvement is noticeable with absolutely no performance loss, there's just not much to be gained from optimized dlc unless you go with the drastically reduced quality in normals, if you don't notice that kind of thing than by all means stay with it. I recommend it for all 1GB machines its a good trade off for them.

There are plenty of alternate ways to do the same thing, if you want to just zip up all the files create a BAIN and install them with bash that's a much preferred way to do it, its out of scope for the guide. I am trying to stay as vanilla as possible and not assuming any previous knowledge.

Technically you could just install optimized dlc without the real thing at all but its not something I have personally tested, what I did was make my own version using ddsopt. I already wrote that whole tutorial, I think it was on the nexus forums.

I've considered going through the normals and picking out the ones that really make an impact in graphic quality than deleting all the rest, my guess is it will likely increase performance close to van's version without reducing texture quality at all and an unnoticeable reduction in normal quality. One day maybe.

Remember this is just an introduction and overview, its not an advanced highly technical and complex best practices guide. After I'm happy with this one I may move on to write that guide.

Thanks for the questions, reactions are really helpful to keep me moving forward.

frihyland posted by accident in another thread and so responding here...

Check out my new DLC section over in Skyrim InstallationEdit: not sure why i posted this here' date=' must have had multiple tabs open and posted to wrong one' date=' but yeah while you are here might as well check it out :P[/quote'']

Is there a reason for doing this DLC cleaning method instead of using Vano's Optimized DLC mod?I thought from discussions on the nexus thread a while back that Vano had essentially already compressed all the texture files etc. So is the only difference the fixes identified since he uploaded his mod in late Feb, eg blades armor fix?

If that is the case couldn't the blades fix just be applied after Vano's mod?

Also, if using Wyre or MO is there a need to repack in to BSAs? Aren't load times meant to be quicker with loose files? If so, should the directories just be merged, zipped and then treated as a new trexture mod with loose files?

lol, I made a typo and recommended the DLC fix mod twice instead of Optimized DLC at the end, now I understand your confusion. Wiki updated.

ahh that's better! I have GTX 570 1280MB VRAM so using optimized + 2048. Also generally 1024 for all mods.

If I'd known the importance of VRAM when I bought the card late last year I would have tried to find one with more VRAM, but I don't recall them being common in my local stores (Australia).

EDIT: actually they still aren't!!! at least not Nvidia cards, none except the top end eg GTX 680

They are definitely not common but when you find one the prices are quite reasonable (in U.S.) I'm looking at buying 2 gtx 560 2GB @ $150 each, but I'd really rather have a 3GB 580 when the prices get down around $350, won't be too long I think with the new 680 out.

• 3 weeks later...

Added more info to the DLC section of the guide:

I went ahead and thoroughly tested and verified Eiwyn's new bat against PatrikBenson's bat and both against compares I did myself with vanilla textures using FreeFileSync. There were some missing textures, so I created a consolidated bat file.

Please someone go and check what I have written to verify that it makes sense and is correct.

Thanks!

I finalized the bat and can confirm that it is correct and verified. I provided Eiwyn my findings, and he was able to confirm several corrections that I proposed as well as refute a few. Result is that the wiki bat and SIG-DLC methodology for cleaning up the HRCLCs is the best available at the moment (although it looks like Eiwyn updated his bat today as well ;) ).

If possible, he tells me that he will try to provide a single point-and-click solution for the HRDLC mess (by teaming up with Hionimi ...)

Thanks for that z92, much appreciated. I can confirm that your bat script works flawlessly.

Frihyland, I would like to suggest a minor change to your wonderful SIG. Its great that you have a warning that users will need to wait for these tools to be update when new patches are released. Currently you recommend SkyBoost, however since its the only unsupported injector atm, it may be wise to put a note that SkyBoost is currently not compatible with the latest patch, therefore idiot proofing the SkyBoost section. Ultimately not really necessary though if one reads the section properly.