Upgrading from MO 1.1.2 to 1.2.18

feld

Question

All,

BLUF:  I am looking for advice and confirmation of my plan to upgrade MO 1.1.2 to the current version which I believe is 1.2.18, with an attempt to retain current modlist and profiles after a very long (>1 year) away from Skyrim and modding.  My plan is to attempt upgrade by downloading the current MO archive and extracting it to my current MO directory, overwriting all.  Does this make sense? 

Background:  About a year ago I got Skyrim'd out but I'm feeling the itch again.  I had not thought about the problems of failing to keep to my MO installation up to date and when I opened it and compared to the Nexus page I discovered:

a.  I was a full version or more out of date (1.1.2 to 1.2.18)

b.  I was so out of date that the automatic upgrade option no longer appeared

c.  I think I'm so out of date that MO will no longer communicate with Nexus.  I can neither verify versions nor download mods.  I get the "login failed:please check you password" error.  Needless to say, I've verified my password multiple times.  It's the right one.

What I've done:

-I've looked about the forums here but not found anyone whose hiatus from MO has been as long.  The only people I did find with a similar issue used the manual overwrite method above

-I've read the MO changelog from 1.1.2 to 1.2.18 on Nexus.  It doesn't seem to say anything that invalidates my approach but, well, see again under "been gone for over a year".

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you can provide.

v/r

feld

4 answers to this question

Yes, your MO version can't communicate with Nexus anymore so an automatic update is out of the question.

Usually the following should always work: Download the full archive (not the installer) and extract the whole content to your existing MO installation such that the existing files are overwritten.

This doesn't overwrite your profiles or settings so everything should be good. This may leave some obsolete files in place but apart from taking up a little disk space that wouldn't hurt.

To be safe you might wan't to create a backup of the whole MO folder first.