ENB Guide

z929669

The Phinix ENB entry under Recommended ENB Profiles needs to be edited. The interiors plugin and Darker Dungeons are not recommended.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12262/?

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I too have always enjoyed your videos. Make sure you grab the latest version, as I've made some improvements since the one I see in the video. Most is spot on, but the nights are a bit darker I think now as well as a lot of weather tweaks. Hard to tell from youtube sometimes.

I see you linked Further Dark Dungeon in the post. This should no longer be needed, and even if you are looking to make things a bit darker there are better ways. However, I left my old PNENB_interiors plugin up in the optional files section which does basically the same thing Further Dark Dungeons does but for more places (basically everything.)

For most people though, the included PNENB_fixes should be enough, since it corrects the major issue with ENB where world wall colors will invert. PNENB_interiors contains the PNENB_fixes stuff as well but again, I really do not recommend using it with the latest PNENB since the shader changes I have made no longer benefit from it much and it may conflict with mods like CoT, ELFX, RLO, etc. PNENB_fixes will not conflict with anything.

Thanks again for the feature!

• 3 months later...

Someone reported a broken link in the memory section of the guide:https://wiki.step-project.com/Recommended_ENB_Profiles#MemoryThe link should be pointing to a tool:

http://www.iparadigm.org/pages/pnenb/ENBoost.html 
to aid in config, but that tool is likely outdated as is other content in the ENB Guide at this point.
phinix updated it a whole ago so it should be up to date with the enboost config on the nexus.

That page was very helpful in the past and I certainly don't think it will cause issues if people still rely on it, but the many of those settings have fundamentally changed with the last several ENBseries binary updates.

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=###  <---this can be changed on the fly, while in the game. It also has been directly recommended by Boris for some users with lower amounts of VRAM to use larger amounts.
VideoMemorySizeMb=0 <---setting not necessary if AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true 
EnableCompression=false <----dependent on the system, compression enabled can cause stutters and freezes, so each user should see which is best for them
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true <---works really well, very rare the need to ever override the automatic setting

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found this in the GUIDE:ENB

To enable SMAA set the following in the [PROXY] section of "enbseries.ini":

EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=d3d9_smaa.dll

Shouldn't it be in the [PROXY] section of "enbLOCAL.ini"?

Edited by afonik

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be working on this Guide off and on over the next few days. Some of the information is outdated. Plans:

• Update some of the outdated information
  • Proofread and review; revising were needed
  • Provide better formatting for some elements/sections
  • Update the recommended ENBs section (some will go; some will stay; two will be added (Skylight and Vividian) )
  • Update links and add them were needed
  • ...anything else I run across while reviewing

I've already done some of the work.

Excellent news TechAngel, I was just looking at this guide and the broken link in the memory section is the only thing stopping me at the moment.

I might as well sneak in a question. I have 2 GB of VRAM, 64-bit OS and an NVIDIA card. What settings in the enblocal.ini [MEMORY] section should 'probably be fine'?

Actually, you can just follow the recommendation over the [Memory] section for ENBoost. Which is: 

Find the section marked [MEMORY] and ...Set VideoMemorySizeMb= ('yes, this should be blank')Set AutodetectVideoMemorySize=trueNOTE: This sets the proper VRAM allocation automatically

O you can set VideoMemorySizeMb yourself. On a 32bit system you set it equal to you VRAM in MB. 2GB VRAM=2048MB so you'd set it to 2048. On 64bit systems  the official formula is: (VRAM + RAM) - 2048. Recently another formula has popped up that is: (VRAM + RAM - 2048)/2. The max value can't be greater than 10240 so if you have a value greater than that using the formulas, set it to 10240.

Formula 1 example: if you have 2Gb of VRAM and 8GB of system RAM then you'd get this:

2048 + 8192 -2048 = 8192

Formula 2 example using the same numbers is:

(2048 + 8192 -2048)/2 = 8192/2 = 4096

Both formulas are safe so you might just experiment and see which one works best for you. Here are the lines from Vividian ENB from my own profile:

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512    // Reduce to 256 or 128 if you have less than 3GB VRAMVideoMemorySizeMb=5120        // Formula: (VRAM + RAM - 2048 / 2) , max value: 10240EnableCompression=trueAutodetectVideoMemorySize=false