ENB Guide

z929669

Looks good. I'm going to add performance tips and troubleshooting in an hour or so. I'll stick 'em both in troubleshooting since they are somewhat related. Also got some updated info for XFire users from ZeroKing who is working with Boris on that issue that I will add too.

Can anyone enlighten me on a setting in the ENB ini:

"Fix Game Bugs" - some enb presets have this set to true, others false. I am trying to find what this actually does and have looked at ENB documentation, the ENB user guide by Tapioks in the Enhanced Shaders FX-ENB mod, and lots of comments pages with no luck.

If someone can shed some light on this, or point me to right guide/site to find the answer it would be much appreciated.

I believe that is actually a debugging switch, used for getting info and testing while making a configuration. I haven't personally made one from scratch yet so no idea how it works. Good place to ask though, Staind should know or be able to find out for us. I have the same question about the parallax flag, I think this whole section is just for debugging though. Confirmation anyone?

Actually I have to admit this setting I always left to true and took on faith that the Mighty Russian knows best for this one. I felt a little silly asking my buddies about EXACTLY what bugs it fixes and was relieved and amused when the concensus was "Uh, you know, I'm not quite sure but Boris knows best. Something to do with adding ENB to Skyrim". Ok, so who didn't know that? :D

One brave soul even marched straight into the lions den, at the risk of being horrifically scarred for life, beaten, abused, and possible insults against the very woman who bore him. Thankfully either Boris was in a good mood or was already busy relentlessly ridiculing another poor victims intelligence or lack thereof. He made it back with this answer. Slightly edited from "BorisSpeak" for easier understanding. ;)

Rendering issues often occur when you introduce a binary that a game will not execute, like the ENBSeries binary. Generally speaking, these are crash bugs, engine bugs, and system allocation bugs (like Skyrim being a CPU-intensive game, therefore ENBSeries rectifies that by pushing some rendering onto the GPU, balancing things out).

So basically what we already knew. Bugs related to the addition of the ENBSeries binary. Unless I find someone who has already done this, the only way to find out EXACTLY which bugs the FixGameBugs actually eliminate is to decompile the binary. And to be honest, right now we are all too busy (LOVE 0.119 :D) and not curious enough to go through that ordeal at the moment. I will keep trying to find a more detailed answer but for now this is all any of us know.

So my advice is to trust in the Almighty Russian and keep this set to true. Boris knows best. ;)

Well, the main reason we aren't updating our current ENB's to 0.119 is because the only effect it adds compared to 0.113 is the SkyLighting which neither Kyo or I are crazy about. Not using it in our 0.119 wip either. Personal preference of course but in our opinion the little it adds isn't nearly worth the cost to performance. Not to mention we don't really care for the look of the SkyLighting anyway. 0.119 is great for the interior / exterior nightime separation but 0.113 still rocks on it's own.

So unless you are looking to just add the SkyLighting feature to an existing 0.113 configuration or have a little more control over the settings for interior / exterior it really isn't worth doing to be completely honest with you.

Now for an older version or completely new one, it is a different story. Just kind of hard to advise on that without knowing which one you would want to upgrade.

Well my main concern is the shadow wall bug in 0.113 that bugs the crap out of me. (as seen in the video here repasted below)

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ew64ogkI6yE

I have confirmed this does not happen in 0.119 but only in 0.113(even the latest version). I don't care particularly about SkyLighting but just copying the new d3d9.dll to an old config won't work very well I imagine. I was using CounterVibe but since I found this bug I've been trying new configs (but there aren't that many out there yet for 0.119). Trying out Seasons of Skyrim now.

Ah, I get it. Well, Seasons of Skyrim is really good. I have tried it myself and like it a lot. I know quite a few people are working on some great 0.119 configs and I have taken some test runs with a few of my friends wips to give them some feedback. So keep your eye out, a lot of really great ones will be coming very soon. If I can find time I will pop 0.119 in with Countervibe and see how involved it would be to upgrade it and keep the same feel and give you some tips on it. We just don't want to do it for an official release because after talking about it we feel it would be more of a placebo effect done for "popularity" sake than because we honestly felt it added enough to make it worthwhile. Gotta maintain some integrity. ;)

Don't know when I would have a chance to check that out since I am so busy with my son's doctors and that is my first priority. What little free time I do have right now is taken up with our current ENB's, our wip, one I am helping a friend with, and doing a little testing for friends. And very little time for that. That's why I haven't had time to add to the guide yet either. You could try it yourself and see how it goes. If your settings get a little too far off it's easy but a little painful to restart. If you want I can send you some links for some helpful information if you feel ambitious. :)

Ah, I get it. Well, Seasons of Skyrim is really good. I have tried it myself and like it a lot. I know quite a few people are working on some great 0.119 configs and I have taken some test runs with a few of my friends wips to give them some feedback. So keep your eye out, a lot of really great ones will be coming very soon. If I can find time I will pop 0.119 in with Countervibe and see how involved it would be to upgrade it and keep the same feel and give you some tips on it. We just don't want to do it for an official release because after talking about it we feel it would be more of a placebo effect done for "popularity" sake than because we honestly felt it added enough to make it worthwhile. Gotta maintain some integrity. ;)

Don't know when I would have a chance to check that out since I am so busy with my son's doctors and that is my first priority. What little free time I do have right now is taken up with our current ENB's, our wip, one I am helping a friend with, and doing a little testing for friends. And very little time for that. That's why I haven't had time to add to the guide yet either. You could try it yourself and see how it goes. If your settings get a little too far off it's easy but a little painful to restart. If you want I can send you some links for some helpful information if you feel ambitious. :)

Totally understand RL > game as I have an 8 month old son myself (who recently visited the dr about 7 times)... I might try to get ambitious at some point but same as you my time is shorter than I like it to be. :)

Whenever you have a chance that would be great, otherwise I won't be mad and just keep my eye out for new configs.