ENB Guide

z929669

I am not sure about the enblocal.ini part of the guide. I downloaded ENBoost from Nexus, and the configuration is very specific with memory settings.

The guide here suggests numbers equal to the size of memory on cards, while the stuff from Boris says something completely else. For example, for AMD cards with 3GB fo memory it says VideoMemorySizeMb=2944. I assume there is a reason for this.

There are no "right" settings to suggest set for ENBoost based on just one thing. That is the main issue, there are only rough guidelines. The reason is that it does not just depend on the graphics card you have.

You can have the best graphics card in the world, but if you have a cheap Motherboard some Chinese graduate student made for his exam with lousy bandwidth all around you will get horrible performance and massive stuttering none the less.

Also it is not just VRAM that matters it is also RAM, since textures are loaded onto available memory you might have. Hence if you only have 8Gb then one set of values are optimal, if you have 16Gb then another set of values might work better.

Also depending on how high you have set your ugrids settings will matter since that effectively for more or less textures to be loaded at once. And again ofc the resolution of said textures.

In short.. this is why we do not just say "If you have graphics card X, use this value"... since it is just not that simple.

Hope that made sense hehe.

That's even more confusing. Which one am I supposed to trust? STEP or ENB author? What STEP guide tells me to do is still completely different. And it links to some third party website which makes up some settings out of the blue.

What third party website? Enbdev.com? I don't think the enb website is a third party to itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guide says "Change parameters according to your video card.", and the link points to some iparadigm.org website which I have no idea about, and there I get to click through some nonsense generic looking static pages which ultimately lead to incomplete and absolutely identical enblocal.ini settings.

I have no idea what's the deal here, but I highly recommend getting rid of this.

The guide says "Change parameters according to your video card."' date=' and the link points to some iparadigm.org website which I have no idea about, and there I get to click through some nonsense generic looking static pages which ultimately lead to [u']incomplete and absolutely identical[/u] enblocal.ini settings.

I have no idea what's the deal here, but I highly recommend getting rid of this.

I think you're talking about THIS:https://www.iparadigm.org/pages/pnenb/ENBoost.html?

This is to help you get the enblocal.ini settings. You only really need to worry about the videomb value. If you use any ENB, it'll probably have the rest of this section filled out for you. 

Is that what your question is about or did I miss it completely?

That little calculator is necessary though. It should absolutely NOT be removed. It is a bit outdated but  most of the values you need are there so it at least helps you get 75% of that section down.

What calculator?

Idk if Calculator is the right term but the link that we both posted. That will automatically generate some of the enblocal.ini values (most importantly, the correct videomb size) by selecting a few options. Did you try it? It asks AMD/INTEL/NVIDIA and then 1GbVRAM/2+GbVRAM, etc. 

Nvm, this wasn't updated to include that value. You're right. It's pretty outdated and may want to be updated by someone else or removed in favor of specific instructions. 

Even when it was working it was still just a baseline suggestion. You most likely still would need to tweak it further depending on your system.

I can understand that people are scared of messing things up with it etc. but it really is not that spooky, or difficult. It will take less then 30 mins to home in on the best values for your system if you start out at just your VRAM amount. Most stuttering can be removed by disabling precache these days as well. And with the latest minor updates people are reporting that it is in general a bit easier to work with.

And the best part.. once you have the file setup you never need to touch it again. That most preset creators tend to provide a file is just bringing more issues then good... even more so when people use that stupid ENB manager since it will auto overwrite the file, and then you need to resetup it all the time. (Got to start counting how many reasons I have found not to use that silly piece of weirdness.)

• 2 weeks later...