ENB Guide

z929669

Yes, all ENB AA stacks with any other AA. I think it is recommended to stack edgeAA + subPixelAA with SMAA if you can take the (little) hit.

Well, I'm currently stacking EdgeAA from the ENB with SMAA (high preset). TemporalAA is turned off by default in the ENB Profile I'm using. The game is super smooth (as in no jaggies). With this I'm running an average of 40FPS for exteriors.

I thought subPixelAA is suppose to be turned off when using SMAA? At least that's what the note says for Vividian ENB. They are the same things SMAA=Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing

[ANTIALIASING]EnableEdgeAA=trueEnableTemporalAA=falseEnableSubPixelAA=false        // set to false if you use SMAAEnableTransparencyAA=false

As for the TemporalAA, as I understand it, it mainly softens the scene especially where trees and foliage is involved. Similar to a mix of MSAA and FXAA. I'm not sure I like this because much of the detail is lost from the videos I've seen of its use. ENB's implementation might be different so I might run around with it on for a bit to just try it.

Yes, you right. TemporalAA can be heavier then the others, specially around lots of foliage.

I don't use SMAA because I cant take the hit, I can barely use ENB, using a GTX650, with deferral turned off I get around 30 FPS in external, 40/50 internal.

But it looks much better then without ENB, I think it worth it. x)

Edited by justjr

I was using the all the AA built into ENB and it ran okay, it was a bit sluggish in the open world. I now use SMAA and turned all the others off, I get equal to slightly better quality, but much better performance. I am using a gtx560M (3gb version).

Guess I should do a slight correction here. 

It is Transparency that deals with trees and foliage since they have large alpha channel components. It does not work while temporal is enabled.. you can enable them but it will have no effect. 

Transparency AA scales directly with the number of transparent textures you have in view... hence if you have heavy forest or grass etc. then it can cripple even the best of systems. Stand on a mountain top with no transparent textures and there is no performance impact. 

For comparison then it works similar the to the transparency AA you can enable via drivers.. it will also kick your machine in the behind if you enable it in a game with lots of transparent textures. 

Updated the Editing Enblocal INI tab:

• Adding missing parameters to several sections
  • clarified much of the text and descriptions
  • Updated the formatting to be consistent with my previous edits as well as to look nicer and be easier to read.
  • is now updated to and includes all lines from ENBSeries v0.262

Thanks for your work on this, I just learned how adaptive quality actually works, now I can flip that value from 0 to 2 and actually benefit from it. Also I can avoid the temptation to use Transparency AA due to my pc's lack of a Ferrari engine. Oh, and the default Serenity enblocal lacks the IgnoreLoadingScreen=true line, so I'm mining all kinds of gold from your wiki.

Edited by redirishlord

Thanks for your work on this, I just learned how adaptive quality actually works, now I can flip that value from 0 to 2 and actually benefit from it. Also I can avoid the temptation to use Transparency AA due to my pc's lack of a Ferrari engine. Oh, and the default Serenity enblocal lacks the IgnoreLoadingScreen=true line, so I'm mining all kinds of gold from your wiki.

Haha! I couldn't help myself! But it is true. In forested areas your machine will be begging for relief (or so I've been told by ENB authors); whereas, indoors the effect has almost no impact. I'm not sure how ENB handles it; however, my experience with Transparency AA on the driver side is buggy. You'll see lines around transparent meshes such as fires. Such as:

Posted Image

Full size: https://i.imgur.com/Ii6b0NR.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Revised troubleshooting section: It's really not a good idea to advise someone to turn off their anti-virus.  If anyone decides for themselves to do that, they have themselves to blame, and not this guide. And no matter how bold you frame the warning to turn it back on, when someone exits a game, the only thing on their mind will be the reason they shut it down. Who will read that bold print under the circumstances?

• 3 weeks later...

The ENB Guide has had a full overhaul again. Some of the changes include

• Grammar corrections
  • Formatted all tags
  • Formatted all mention of parameters within tags
  • Changed all references of 'ENB Profile' to 'ENB Preset' to better align with correct terminology
  • Fixed broken links
  • Updated Quickstart
  • Updated ENB Choices
    • added new ENB Presets
    • added small image gallery for each preset
    • removed reference to ENBoost
    • changed purpose of ENB Presets from installation guide to overview of Preset
  • Added new section for ENBoost
  • Updated ENB Installation
    • is now only general instructions
    • added images
  • Fully overhauled ENBlocal INI section
    • up to date up to v0.264 of ENBSeries
    • corrected many incorrect explanations
    • expanded most explanations
    • now includes every line of enblocal.ini
  • Updated ENBseries INI section
    • corrected many incorrect explanations
    • expanded most explanations
    • removed many parameters
    • full and advanced Guide for enbseries.ini is in the works
  • Expanded ENB Addon section
    • reformatted SMAA section and expanded it
    • added Enhanced Lighting for ENB section

To see the workflow visit this thread: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5951-enb-guide-overhaul/

A very special thank you to all the members that helped in getting this overhaul completed! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your (and all other contributors') work on this guide. Just one thing though: in the Quickstart section, you advise users to disable AA and AF in the launcher, then change a few other settings in SkyrimPrefs.ini. Shouldn't MO users discard the launcher options and disable AA and AF directly in the .ini file, since the launcher is not able to change the settings of existing MO profiles?