ENB Guide

z929669

This parameter will enable or disable deffered shading rendering which many ENB effects are reliant upon. These include screen space ambient occlusion (SSAO), Image Based Lighting, Reflections, Particle Lights, and Skylighting. This can be disabled for users having performance issues; however, it will effect the look of the ENB preset. This parameter is enabled by default. If only using ENBoost features, this should be set to false as it will not be needed.

UseDefferedRendering=(false, true)

Edit : Now look at the third screenshot clip in the https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#ENBoost_Quickstart

Which has the default set as True

So anyone just using ENBoost, and not using a full ENB will think that picture is gospel unless told otherwise

In the line that precedes that screenshot they are already being told to set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false from false to true. ( Also depicted in the screenshot with its default false setting )

So another line needs to be added to explain for just ENBoost users .. I think.

Edit : Going to look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow - Getting too late to be editing things without error :)

Edited by alt3rn1ty

I'm going to cut some hands off if things are all messed up since I've been at work all day! Hahaha! :lol: Just joking, but I'll have to give all the editing you did a once over. Some of the information was in certain places because it was relevant to the topic being discussed at the time and splitting it up could break the flow of that topic. Don't split any info out of the Guide unless I approve or multiple admin approve. That sounds selfish but I've put a ton of work and long hours into this Guide and have a specific vision for it.

For example, the enbseries.ini information included in the ENB Guide is there because those are specific parameters that can be adjusted to increase performance. Removing this information simply because it is in the ENBSeries INI Guide would be foolish because it would make it extremely hard for users to track those parameters down. The ENBSeries INI Guide is meant to be an advanced reference. The enbseries.ini info in the ENB Guide is meant as a quick reference for novice users that need a little extra performance boost. This is no different than how we do the INI sections on the STEP Guide. Basic info in on the STEP Guide, more advanced INI edits are on the INI Guide.

Basically the ENB Guide is an "intro to ENBs" and the auxiliary Guides will provide more detailed and advanced information for users that what that information. This paradigm was copied from how we do the STEP Guide. Basic info up front, more advanced topics in other Guides.

Yeah, the entire part about Deferred Rendering can be omitted for ENBoost ONLY users. It is shut down by setting the SpeedHackGraphic line to True. I'll insert a new picture.

I've never found any post by Boris confirming that UseSpeedHackWithoutGraphics=True (just to use the ENBoost features) will completely shut down all of the deferred rendering effects.

The only thing we have is the enblocal.ini files from the ENBoost download on Nexus, and those all have the line UseDefferedRendering=false in them. From this, it has been inferred by many people that Deferred Rendering should be turned off in the .ini if you just want to use the ENBoost features.

I swear I've read a post somewhere on the ENB forums that said it's best to turn off Deffered Rendering when only using the ENBoost features, because even though you see no visual difference, the Deffered Rendering code is still taking up processor cycles and therefore has some performance impact.

So until you get direct confirmation from Boris that UseSpeedHackWithoutGraphics=True also turns off Deffered Rendering, I'd leave in the recommendation for the line UseDefferedRendering=false for those just wanting the ENBoost features only.

However for ENBoost-only users, there's no reason to mention which effects are turned off with UseDefferedRendering=false.

I've never found any post by Boris confirming that UseSpeedHackWithoutGraphics=True (just to use the ENBoost features) will completely shut down all of the deferred rendering effects.

The only thing we have is the enblocal.ini files from the ENBoost download on Nexus, and those all have the line UseDefferedRendering=false in them. From this, it has been inferred by many people that Deferred Rendering should be turned off in the .ini if you just want to use the ENBoost features.

I swear I've read a post somewhere on the ENB forums that said it's best to turn off Deffered Rendering when only using the ENBoost features, because even though you see no visual difference, the Deffered Rendering code is still taking up processor cycles and therefore has some performance impact.

So until you get direct confirmation from Boris that UseSpeedHackWithoutGraphics=True also turns off Deffered Rendering, I'd leave in the recommendation for the line UseDefferedRendering=false for those just wanting the ENBoost features only.

However for ENBoost-only users, there's no reason to mention which effects are turned off with UseDefferedRendering=false.

This. My thoughts exactly. This is why I was here when the Guide was being edited. I'll have to review it but it probably won't be tonight.

Question about SMAA: Do the settings in the ini preset files (i.e. "high.ini") work against the settings in SkyrimPrefs.ini or do they have to be modified to match those in SkyrimPrefs.ini in order to not counteract them?

Nothing in the guide mentions anything about the settings that are actually in the SMAA ini presets.  If anything, the guide basically seems to imply that changing the ini file settings for SMAA is an advanced process.  It's concerning because there are many settings in there that seem to resemble settings in the SkyrimPrefs.ini and I'm concerned that they may be overwriting those settings... like "fGrassStartFadeDistance" or "iMaxAnisotropy", for example.  Is it right to leave them alone... or should they be modified to reflect the desired settings that are actually in SkyrimPrefs.ini?

I'm going to cut some hands off if things are all messed up since I've been at work all day! Hahaha! :lol: Just joking, but I'll have to give all the editing you did a once over. Some of the information was in certain places because it was relevant to the topic being discussed at the time and splitting it up could break the flow of that topic. Don't split any info out of the Guide unless I approve or multiple admin approve. That sounds selfish but I've put a ton of work and long hours into this Guide and have a specific vision for it.

For example, the enbseries.ini information included in the ENB Guide is there because those are specific parameters that can be adjusted to increase performance. Removing this information simply because it is in the ENBSeries INI Guide would be foolish because it would make it extremely hard for users to track those parameters down. The ENBSeries INI Guide is meant to be an advanced reference. The enbseries.ini info in the ENB Guide is meant as a quick reference for novice users that need a little extra performance boost. This is no different than how we do the INI sections on the STEP Guide. Basic info in on the STEP Guide, more advanced INI edits are on the INI Guide.

Basically the ENB Guide is an "intro to ENBs" and the auxiliary Guides will provide more detailed and advanced information for users that what that information. This paradigm was copied from how we do the STEP Guide. Basic info up front, more advanced topics in other Guides.

Yep thats why I cut off any more editing, the last edit I did is the only one which cut information out ( because I believed it was no longer extant with all the work that has gone into the new information in the "Editing ENBLocal INI" section.

And with the move of that part of the whole to being adjacent to the old Memory section, it seemed unecessary to be duplicating

After I made the edit though I thought along the same lines that it could have been tailored for full ENB users .. So stopped there

I do not have the ability to recover a section already changed, but I believe it is possible, so made no further changes making the last edit the only one to be concerned with restoring if needs be.

I will hold off making any further changes until all are happy with the way its going ( there are a fair few more details still need changed, positioning I think is mostly good, but there are now later topic paragraphs which refer to tabs still, and maybe a link or two I noticed were no longer valid ), its mostly just small details I think.

All changes were commented though to give a summary of the changes ( except my very first edit which was a noob mistake ), and only the most recent one deleted what I thought was duplicated information

Edit : See post #313

Configuring ENBoost

Memory Parameters

Editing Enblocal INI

The Memory parameters section was immediately followed by the same ( similar possibly tailored ) information in Editing ENBLocal INI

It probably made sense where it was originally in the order of the topic ( after de-tabbing )

But seemed to me to be unnecessary duplication in what is now an adjacent subject.

As far as I can see, what is now ..

section 6.4 ENB INIs

That is where the dedicated full ENB users ENBLocal.ini information is.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

I believe I have seen the same mentioned, but no idea where I saw it. Which is why I quoted the latest and best known descriptions that we have in the "Editing ENBLocal INI" - As far as I know thats all we have to go on, and the logic that can be inferred.

I am pretty sure I have seen other settings mentioned as not being available for use of ENBoost only users, but cannot confirm. A few of the Game fixes I think were mentioned at one time. But possibly someones bad interpretation of something Boris said in the past .. Who knows.

By the way Keith thank you for plugging away at Boris with questions to clarify a heap of misconceptions previously, its due to that I have been recommending this part of the guide everywhere as the difinitive interpretation of ENBLocal.ini usage.

And you never got your ears chewed off .. amazing :)

The mod page you speak of .. Are we talking ENBoost on nexus ?, or some part of step I am not familiar with ( I dont use S.T.E.P at all, most of it is out of my machine spec' league :) so I am going to be unfamiliar with a lot of the forum guides pages you are probably talking about )

... snip/

Mod pages on our wiki ;)

just click on any of the categories at right on the main page (or the "Detailed Instructions Available"  and "W" links in STEP Guide mod tables). Our mod pages serve as the info source for mods in guides and elsewhere.

Thanks z

But I am fast running out of time I could have helped. Its four days since I offered, and on hold for TechAngels review.

Tonight would be the last night I can devote to doing something like this for a while.

I think though that TA may have made a few changes anyway, pretty sure I have seen a sub topic title or two move from an old position to a newer more logical flow for reading .. Pretty much along the same lines I had in mind without going into detail before I stopped editing.

IF TA does get around to giving the go ahead sometime in the next few hours, I will look over if there is anything left I wanted to do in my remaining time tonight.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

As I said before, whenever anybody takes it upon themselves to alter wiki guides or other pages, it usually results in an improvement, because it forces others invested in the guide to critique those changes and the result is almost always positive change :yes:

Edit away! Guide us with your perspectives in action!

EDIT: info in mod pages that relate to larger guides (like ENBoost mod page and ENB guide) is supposed to be a condensation of the most important 'setup' info from the guide (i.e., mod page is a quickstart installation/setup guide) ... if that helps.